Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Deeleyfied smokebox and chimney - post c. 1905 condition... Livery?

Yes it's got a Deeley smokebox and chimney.  My friend George who has been making the GER buildings for me commissioned this engine from Paul and that was what he wanted.  He asked for the later LMS rebuilds to be done as well, but for my purposes a post 1905 engine is fine and fits my time period very nicely.. 

Possibly a little better after some work on the lining.  I'll continue to work on my new Midland engines, - I have 3 of them which might be slightly excessive, - to see what improvements I can make.

lRetpxu.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It's a pity about the Deeley chimney and smokebox, - if it was in original condition I could repaint it as a M&GNJR engine.

For my purposes it will just have to stay in red and be an engine that's been temporarily borrowed.

Ex M&GNJR No.058 in LNER times

Snap taken on my Tristyn in Winter layout.

uaSiP79.jpg

Edited by Annie
added a picture
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

No.2130 at Moxbury in Trainz TRS22.  Sorting out the textures on engines that were originally made for TS12 and TANE so they look good in TRS22 can be a bit of a trial sometimes, but I think No.2130 is looking a lot better now.

I've still got the numbers and letters to sort out.  George says he's got some improved lettering which he'll send to me so i'll wait to see what that looks like.

15HnEDP.jpg

The Midland drawing I obtained from the HRMS for George when he commissioned this model from Paulz Trainz was a very crinkled up and well worn photocopy of a general arrangement for a  'Six - Coupled Goods Engine   wheels  5 - 2 ½ Dia'.  'Midland Railway Locomotive Dept Derby' was printed under that information.   '97 - 4402'  was printed on the top left hand corner, but that was all, - no date.  LMS/ (something unreadable)  was hand written on the right hand side of the drawing, - whatever an 'LMS' is.

Edited by Annie
More information
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Annie said:

The Midland drawing I obtained from the HRMS for George when he commissioned this model from Paulz Trainz was a very crinkled up and well worn photocopy of a general arrangement for a  'Six - Coupled Goods Engine   wheels  5 - 2 ½ Dia'.  'Midland Railway Locomotive Dept Derby' was printed under that information.   '97 - 4402'  was printed on the top left hand corner, but that was all, - no date.  LMS/ (something unreadable)  was hand written on the right hand side of the drawing, - whatever an 'LMS' is.

While studying the specially crafted engine spec George gave me last night I discovered this.......

Boiler Pressure:     160psi
Cylinders (2):       18ins x 26ins
Driving Wheels:      4ft 10.5ins
Wheel Arrangement:   0-6-0
Tractive Effort:     19420 lbs
Weight:              40t cwt
Max Speed (DCC):     40mph
Power Class:         2F

So it's not a 'Six - Coupled Goods Engine  wheels  5 - 2 ½ Dia' engine after all,  -  it's a 'Six - Coupled Goods Engine  wheels 4 - 10½ Dia' engine, so possibly another drawing ended up being chosen.  Or else the one I found was the wrong one.

I get the feeling that the subject of Midland 0-6-0s might prove to be a very deep rabbit hole indeed.

In other news I see that the December copy of RM has Ellerton Road as its Railway of the Month.  A positive 7mm finescale Midland extravaganza. 

Takes me back to the innocence of my teenage years when I was attempting to model the Midland Railway by sawing up Triang 'Jinties' and L1's and assaulting them with glue and carefully shaped bits of plasticard.  Simpler times (sigh).

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yet more Midland red.  I think No.2130 can be counted as done and dusted now in terms of texture mods.  Next I'll do some testing in the snowy landscape of Tristyn in Winter and see what No.2130 is like to drive.

8NQQQSo.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Some snaps taken while testing out No.2130 on Tristyn in Winter. 411 tons on the drawbar including those Madderport Gasworks coke wagons 😄 

They were about the first wagon texture reskin I did so I thought I'd give them a run for old times sake.

I couldn't get on with George's engine spec.  I barely cracked the regulator open and No.2130 was walking off with the whole train without so much as a sneeze up the chimney.  I changed it for an LMS 2F Dock Tank engine spec by Paul Hobbs and I immediately felt like I was driving a real engine again.

sfUrGXI.jpg

g5qYdx5.jpg

FyTYb4q.jpg

u3mg4vv.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

Well I watched it at least !.. I reckon you should have a bloke muffled up in a big coat and balaclava pulling on point levers though. 😁

Thanks.  😊

You are right about a shunter in a big coat needing to be on duty in the yard though.  I don't think there's many model figures available like that for Trainz unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Annie said:

Nobody watches these anyway so I don't know why I bother.

Who are you calling a nobody??? 🙂

Anyway, the video has been up for an hour and has 8 views already! I do like Tristyn in winter. 

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Don't kid yourself, Annie.   I always watch, and enjoy, them!  😳

Jim

Sorry Jim I was feeling out of sorts this morning and got a bit grumpy over nothing.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Annie said:

Nobody watches these anyway so I don't know why I bother.  32 seconds.

It seems that I have more in common with "nobody" than "everyone".

Thanks for posting it.

Adrian

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, figworthy said:

It seems that I have more in common with "nobody" than "everyone".

Thanks for posting it.

Adrian

1 hour ago, magmouse said:

Who are you calling a nobody??? 🙂

Anyway, the video has been up for an hour and has 8 views already! I do like Tristyn in winter. 

Nick.

Sorry Adrian, sorry Nick.  I was just a bit silly and glum this morning and let it get the better of me.

I enjoy making the videos so I really don't know what I was going on about.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Annie said:

Sorry Adrian, sorry Nick.  I was just a bit silly and glum this morning and let it get the better of me.

I enjoy making the videos so I really don't know what I was going on about.

No offence taken, it happens to the best of us.

Adrian

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, figworthy said:

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.  With our Summer getting ever closer the days are getting a lot warmer and I don't like our Summer one bit.  I much prefer Autumn and a lot cooler temperatures.  When temperatures get past 22-24 I start to get grumpy and out of sorts as warm temperatures make me a lot more sleepy and brain foggy.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, figworthy said:

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.  With our Summer getting ever closer the days are getting a lot warmer and I don't like our Summer one bit.  I much prefer Autumn and a lot cooler temperatures.  When temperatures get past 22-24 I start to get grumpy and out of sorts as warm temperatures make me a lot more sleepy and brain foggy.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Makes you do everything twice…

😄😄😄

When I pressed the Submit Reply button the website disappeared and displayed an offline message and told me to come back in a few minutes so I did.  And there was my last message looking like it was fine, - so I thought, 'That's good I won't have to write it out again'.  But now  my message is twice twice when it was only once before.  😲

What if I go away again and come back and I discover it's now four...... and then eight........ and then sixteen......  Will the moderators be able to cope!  😬

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My favourite Midland 0-6-0 again, No.2130.  I've only just installed new smoke animation files and in the 1 minute video newly recorded for your viewing pleasure No.2130 is slowly increasing in speed so you will be able to observe how the smoke rate is gradually changing as well.  That is one heck of a lot of smoke though, - on some of my smaller engines using these files I've had to edit the numbers to calm things down a bit.

ktQ5Sd8.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Latest project.  Making wooden door bangers for my older pre-WW1 PO wagons without driving myself nuts.

It's been quite a while since I last made anything using Sketchup 8 and needless to say I managed to repeat all the mistakes I made with learning to use Sketchup 8 the first time around, BUT at the end of my time of struggle I did end up with something workable.  Fortunately I had a sacred Midland Railway works drawing of a D299 to hand to guide me as to the dimensions I should use. 

The wagon body mesh I'm using was made for me according to a D299's measurements, - despite much arguement with the person making it for me that they'd never done an open wagon body that way before; - so it was only sensible to follow the works drawing.  My only real regret is that I made the nuts and washers on the door bangers too small.

As you can see though there's something wrong with the open wagon's texture because it isn't lining up with the door bangers properly.  This is because the texture is stretched and compressed into place on the side of the wagon and because I didn't do the texture quite as it should be the right hand side banger doesn't line up properly.  This is going to be a pain to fix and to make it worse I'll have to redo the normal map as well.  😬

Some very severe frowning is going to happen shortly, - I'd advise you to stand well back.

UYkQmVl.jpg

B3kE4AB.jpg

xl6b8Rh.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

After shifting attachment points about and adjusting things on the Jas Medler PO wagon this is about the best I can do.  Something somewhere must be out of alignment, but I couldn't find it.  The door banger on the other side of the wagon lines up perfectly, but this side doesn't and since the door banger frame is made in one piece and isn't crooked (I checked) something with the wagon body must be cockeyed, - only I can't see where.

I ended up moving the texture piece for this side along an inch or so, but if I move it any more than that the corner plates will start to look all wrong.

Anyway I've decided that the wagons will be fine as they are and I won't fuss about with them anymore.  There are only two of them and they are owned by a small trader who has numbered them 103 and 105 to make it look like he has a larger fleet of coal wagons.  Medler is an old East Anglian surname by the way and this pair of coal wagons are imaginary ones I made specially for my (fold in the map) Norfolk layout.

jJLQ6eX.jpg

bqBGBBP.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

GER afternoon cheer up picture:  K20 No.1010.  The last cry of Crampton's patent, - it wasn't very successful apparently.

During the late 1880s James Holden was experimenting with the T19 design and from these experiments the D27 2-2-2s and the T26 2-4-0's also came into being.  Along the way one of the experiments that was tried was the solitary K20.  The idea behind it was to keep the rear driving wheels of the T19 and replace the centre driving wheel with a smaller wheel allowed the moving of the cylinders outside and lowering of the standard Y14 boiler that all these classes used to the level of a Y14 to create a more stable runner than the D27.

Proved to be not really very good K20 was taken back into the works and dismantled to make a new T19 instead.

No photos were taken of it as far as anybody knows and this drawing is the only clue that the K20 existed at all.

(But just imagine if it had proved to be good and useful, - just imagine it........)

I have George Garden of the GER Society to thank for this completely serious and entirely plausible historical information about the unfortunate GER Crampton K20 No.1010.

YLTAWuZ.jpg

Are you adequately cheered up yet?  Did you enjoy the joke?  I still want one though.......

Edited by Annie
words got muddled
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2