School Project - The Victorian Railway

Tabitha has been active today .....

Having given the landscape a coat of sand as texture some days ago, this was painted green yesterday.

Today, the track was masked off, and a couple of shades of static grass were mixed.

Next dilute pva was sprayed on the landscape, and then she got going with the electric tea strainer .... 

(This, by the way, was how I grassed Castle Aching's motte, so I knew it would work!)

post-25673-0-89217100-1522686700_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-91102700-1522686755_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-43032200-1522686800_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-91616100-1522686850_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning James,

Great to finally meet you and Miss T at the York Show. I see progress is coming along well! I managed to smuggle in my goodies without the domestic authorities spotting the price tags!! Hope you enjoyed it and didnt spend too much!

Ian

Good morning James,

Great to finally meet you and Miss T at the York Show. I see progress is coming along well! I managed to smuggle in my goodies without the domestic authorities spotting the price tags!! Hope you enjoyed it and didnt spend too much!

Ian

Likewise, a pleasure to meet you, and I'm glad you had a good show.

Don't worry, I've got plenty of time to save up for next year!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Likewise, a pleasure to meet you, and I'm glad you had a good show.

Don't worry, I've got plenty of time to save up for next year!

Re-filling the piggy bank might take me a while. I believe I have a spare kidney I can sell should I have an impulse to attend another show later in the summer though!

There is a well-known tale in the old-fashioned train collecting world, of an understanding dealer, who, after the deal had been sealed, would always remove the price tag, one of those little bits of card on a thread, then ask the customer what figure he would like to have entered on a new one, which he would then carefully tie on. Single customers were apparently mystified by this process; married customers found it hugely helpful.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

She is not daft but luckily, her awareness of the actual cost of Proxxon tools, soldering gadgets, Bachmann loco's and sundries is fairly limited, allowing me to "hide" a few hundred pounds worth of newly acquired stuff from her. She is not losing out as food is still on the table, and the roof is still over her head, and when you think about it, a new Bachmann/Hornby loco is equal to a new hair do/beauty treatment at the local hairdressers/parlour which apparently is essential, not a luxury and is required every 4-5 weeks without fail, or life will just not be worth living anymore!!!!

She is not daft but luckily, her awareness of the actual cost of Proxxon tools, soldering gadgets, Bachmann loco's and sundries is fairly limited, allowing me to "hide" a few hundred pounds worth of newly acquired stuff from her. She is not losing out as food is still on the table, and the roof is still over her head, and when you think about it, a new Bachmann/Hornby loco is equal to a new hair do/beauty treatment at the local hairdressers/parlour which apparently is essential, not a luxury and is required every 4-5 weeks without fail, or life will just not be worth living anymore!!!!

You can't put a price on happiness!

And, if someone does, you can always whip the label off!

The staithes side of the layout starts to take shape.

The track (already going rusty after exposure to a pva solution), is an odd section of steel set track that Durham Trains of Stanley threw in for nowt when we visited them. 

The dummy wagon turntables are just card insets.  The general gunk is more baked chinchilla dust. 

The staithes are roughly cut balsa strips, glued, pinned and painted with watered down acrylics.  The harbour wall is a freebie from Model Rail; Sydney Gardens cutting texture download. I need to add some edging.

post-25673-0-76828000-1523269961_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-28120100-1523269996_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Compound2632 is right, but, just to be my usual pedantic self, the wagon turntables should have two tracks on them at right angles to one another. Only trying to ads to the authenticity for Lady T.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah but these represent a little-photographed variant exclusively used by the Blythe & Tyne Railway at locations where staithes were served by spurs directly off the running line, as modelled here. The lack of rails at right-angles gave smoother passage to passing trains. What is not modelled are the rudimentary chock-blocks used to prevent wagons being blown back off the staithe onto the running line by a stiff easterly gale off the North Sea.

And I believe that's Miss T, unless Edwardian has recently been elevated to the Upper House, perhaps to block the passage of dangerously radical Liberal measures.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4

Compound2632 is right, but, just to be my usual pedantic self, the wagon turntables should have two tracks on them at right angles to one another. Only trying to ads to the authenticity for Lady T.

Jim

Based on these on the museum model.  Not very good focus, but you can see that the TTs have just the one pair of tracks.

I confess that I have not made a study of wagon TTs, but was content to follow the museum's lead in this instance. 

post-25673-0-56191800-1523273256_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Based on these on the museum model.  Not very good focus, but you can see that the TTs have just the one pair of tracks.

There you go, I was righter than I could possibly have thought. Where's the museum model based on?

• Like 2

Ah but these represent a little-photographed variant exclusively used by the Blythe & Tyne Railway at locations where staithes were served by spurs directly off the running line, as modelled here. The lack of rails at right-angles gave smoother passage to passing trains. What is not modelled are the rudimentary chock-blocks used to prevent wagons being blown back off the staithe onto the running line by a stiff easterly gale off the North Sea.

And I believe that's Miss T, unless Edwardian has recently been elevated to the Upper House, perhaps to block the passage of dangerously radical Liberal measures.

As a Nation we have yet to implement the reforms suggested in the Nineteenth Century by W S Gilbert that the house of peers be recruited upon the basis of competitive examination.  I think that is ample explanation of why I remain a commoner.  

Just to prove that real life can sometimes be as odd as anything dreamt up by W S Gilbert, I was once offered the chance to become a Baron in recompense for my services in advising a self-proclaimed prince regarding the independence of his principality (his Highness being an impecunious party). 

Sadly, my advice was rather negative, and, that being so, the prince could not have been properly regarded as a 'fount of honour' able to confer noble status upon me.  I regret the episode only to the extent that I rather think I would have enjoyed instructing Tabitha's then headmistress to remember to address her as "The Honourable .... ".

As to how I might have voted if elevated to our house of peers, well, I may, like Uncle Ned, have turned out to be something of a "squirradical"! 

• Like 3

There you go, I was righter than I could possibly have thought. Where's the museum model based on?

It's a schematic model, showing the course of the S&D from pit-head to staithes, so they will be staithes on the Tees at Stockton, as they were thought (perhaps known?) to look in the 1830s.

See also Plymouth!

post-25673-0-37067700-1523275331_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I stand corrected on both counts.

Jim

• Like 2

The staithes side of the layout starts to take shape.

The track (already going rusty after exposure to a pva solution), is an odd section of steel set track that Durham Trains of Stanley threw in for nowt when we visited them. 

The dummy wagon turntables are just card insets.  The general gunk is more baked chinchilla dust. 

The staithes are roughly cut balsa strips, glued, pinned and painted with watered down acrylics.  The harbour wall is a freebie from Model Rail; Sydney Gardens cutting texture download. I need to add some edging.

If you've got a razor saw, put a couple of grooves in the running rails on either side of each "turntable" to make it look as if they might turn. You'll also get some nice clicky sounds as trains pass over them.

Grooves, mind you, don't cut all the way through!

• Like 3

Only just woken up (literally) to this thread and Madam T's creation. One suggestion: do try to display the model with an adjacent pin-up board shewing the Lady's research - not least that brilliant pair of drawings posted earlier communicating the concept of mine and staiths to either side of the oval display.

Note 1

Being a  vulgar Essexman longtime, resident in the NE - the official listing of Dunston staiths does not waste 'e's unlike Norfolk (or Yorkshire's) Staithes

Note 2

Surprised that Plymouth quayside line illustrated was not mixed gauge. 'Backtrack's recent series on the Southern 'Gone West' infrastucture in Plymouth suggested that in post 1870s quayside development there was both GW and Sou'west rail access.

dh

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jim

Most wagon turntables in later years (the late 19th and the 20th centuries) certainly had tracks at right angles. But in the early railway years there were many weird and wonderful arrangements, with the two tracks sometimes set at 45 degrees or thereabouts, and occasionally not just two but three tracks running across the turntable. 

The easiest way I have found to make the traditional 90 degree turntable is using the Atlas crossing, stuck to a disc of rigid plastic (in my case, the top of a plastic spice lid), with a nail beneath to pivot it. I think PECO now have a similar 90 degree crossing in their Code 83 range.

post-1254-0-29841200-1523295273_thumb.jpg

(I hope to make these turntables operational one day, using a wooden rod connected to the underside to turn them through 90 degrees with a cam action.)

Edited by Ian Simpson