Β 

Ordering direct from Walthers- any experiences?

Hi

Β 

I've ordered 2 Budd Metroliner MUs direct from Walthers in Milwaukee. What has been people's experience of them, if any? It has been a few days since I ordered and there hasn't been any emails about shipping via USPS etc. so I wonder if they use their own service which might help me about getting stung by customs! I'm aware I could have ordered them through an intermediate dealer in the UK but at a price of $80 or thereabouts it would have been much cheaper to order direct than through an intermediate that goes off the prices in the catalogue.

• RMweb Gold

Used them many times. its difficult not to impulse buy when the TFI Fridays email comes in!! Excellent service every time. I wouldn't worry (too much) re the lack of emails. I think our American cousins don't live on the internet as much as we do in the UK.

cheers

Tony

Β 

Not used them for a while but I was a regular mail order customer at one time and my experience with them was always positive. They are a reliable and reputable company.

Β 

• RMweb Gold

I have ordered from them many times and never had a problem.

Β 

On the topic of emails on my last order (a week or so ago) I just got one email saying they had received the order then I received the package - there were no emails saying my package had been shipped etc, However if I logged into their site then I could find a link to track the shipping.

Β 

Rob

Interesting! I guess growing up in more recent decades I'm just used to following a parcel obsessively on it's journey! What courier do they use? The VAT I don't mind- the rip off handling charges I do!

Walthers - dependable.Β  They've used USPS for my stuff, if it's a small packet and our Post Office delivers it, no extras.Β  If it's a big enough box and/or value Parcelforce get it - no import duty these days just VAT on goods plus shipping cost and Β£8 for the man who worked it all out.Β  Has anyone used the Global Shipment(?) service...?Β  Many years ago I was assured by a US retailer that what they were telling me that Fedex would charge was final.Β  Well, the final time I would risk Fedex it turned out.Β  Any recent experiences with them out there?

Jason

The USPS varies. I ordered a loco from the UK (obviously not Walthers) which arrived in San Francisco last Sunday. According to their tracking it hasn't budged since and we're only a days truck ride away. Still not arrived!

Β 

Brian.

When ordering from Japan in the past I have found that postage is very quick, reliable and efficient- until getting to Heathrow! I've never had a parcel take less than 48 hours from Japan to Heathrow but Heathrow to my house can take days! The eBay Global Shipping program uses Pitney Bowes (?), not a firm I'd heard of before but the great thing is you pay VAT when you order so no nasty charges! I've found their application to be inconsistent i.e sometimes a parcel slips through, sometimes I get charged more than I should and sometimes I get charged less.

• RMweb Gold

I ordered Micro Engineering track from them on 27/12/17 (It was in their post christmas sale) and it was delivered on 23/1/18. As others have said the US firms don't seem to continually update with e-mails, it just turns up eventually! No duty was charged but I had to pay VAT and the Β£8 handling fee to the Post Office. One of the labels on the packing showed it had travelled via Germany !?

Β 

I've used them a few times over the years and definitely use them again.

Β 

Terry

• RMweb Gold

There is no duty charged on model railway products when imported, just the VAT plus handling fee (because the Royal Mail/Parcel Force are acting as an agent for HMRC, and HMRC won’t cover the costs of processing as a reduction from the VAT).

• RMweb Premium

Parcel Force charges a Β£13.50 VAT handling charge for "express" items and Β£8 for standard items. This might infer that "express" items are handled speedily, unfortunately I have found that "express" parcels routinely take a couple of weeks to clear their international handling centre.

Β 

If you group items the VAT handling fee isn't quite so bad but it can end up costing a lot for single items. Hence why my preference is to wait until I am going over to the US or a friend is coming over. I am lucky in having friends who are happy to hold stuff for me. The allowance if you carry stuff in is much higher (Β£390) so not only do you avoid the handling charge, providing you take care of how much you bring you can avoid the VAT.

Β 

If that's not an option then you just to swallow the charges.

The USPS varies. I ordered a loco from the UK (obviously not Walthers) which arrived in San Francisco last Sunday. According to their tracking it hasn't budged since and we're only a days truck ride away. Still not arrived!

Β 

Brian.

Β 

Finally here according to the USPS website.Β  All they have to do is deliver it!

Β 

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Finally here according to the USPS website.Β  All they have to do is deliver it!

Β 

Conversely, USPS tells me that my package from the US left Heathrow for an internal U.K. destination (i.e. me) a week ago and is no longer traceable on their system. Unfortunately Royal Mail says it is not recognised on their system. (I double-checked with Parcel Farce and they confirmed that the tracking code was for a Royal Mail delivery.)