Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Best and Worst Western Movies.

allan downes

Since most Hollywood westerns were virtually unwatchable there must also be some out there that had you gripping the edge of your seat.

This definitely wasn't one of them !

364df82b036d29f6746f4aa367cca44c.jpg

Whilst maybe this one was.

e3c8c64724a66296aae4df270f48fb92.jpg

But, had this been a Western ,surely it would whack anything Hollywood ever made !

96b6f7a5d49d068f1b2f686d0cc41490.jpg

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

Gilbert Roland.

With this guy it was either all or nothing.  He was what it said on the tin.

Over handsome. Over the top. Over stereotyped. Wrist band. Neckerchief. Hat. Cigar. Cartridge belt. Gun. The complete Western hero according to Hollywood. But I loved him. Who didn't ?

b2fdc51fb124c187c748253a95512f14.jpg

tumblr_mxbf5iiaih1sr1ki0o1_r1_500.gif

Edited by allan downes

• RMweb Premium

I love Sergio Leone's Man With No Name Trilogy, everything about them was so gloriously over the top, from the magnificent sound tracks, the cinematography, sets, over the top acting, manic editing, magnificent! Especially The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, a genuine cinematic masterpiece. No matter how many times I watch them I still love them.

The Wild Bunch is another classic with a dream cast, a great director (Sam Peckinpah had a bit of a troubled life and career but at his best he was one of the greats, and this was one of his best), a great story and again it is all gloriously over the top.

I still have a soft spot for the first Magnificent Seven film, the cast was genuinely iconic, a great story, wonderful sound track and terrific set pieces. The sequels got steadily worse but I did enjoy the recent reboot, it was a good solid couple of hours of entertainment and thoroughly enjoyable.

The Outlaw Josey Wales is a classic, one of Eastwood's best roles and a stronger than average story for a western, it managed to combine some great action sequences and a great human drama story.

I enjoyed Cold Mountain a lot too, even if it did star Jude Law.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If I understand this, we are also invited to nominate bad westerns 

Sabatta

Lee Van Cleef with his fleet of fancy guns and a crazy Mexican with an indian (sort of hippy) friend.  The most 1960's hippy is Banjo..  don't underestimate him, that banjo has fire power.

A trash film, I would watch and curse every time its on

Andy

• RMweb Gold

The Searchers.......     wait for it....  John Wayne.

Son Of Paleface             Bob Hope     Jane Russell

John

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 2

I'm mildly amazed nobody has mentioned "Shane".

An iconic film of it's time, with a bit of everything.

"SHANE......SHANE.... COME BACK....".

I suppose in these more enlightened times the connection between Shane and Little Joe would be classed as an inappropriate relationship.

Another all time great also not yet mentioned is "High Noon".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for Outlaw Josey Wales. My son rates Winchester '73, and I think it's pretty good. I'm not a great John Wayne fan but I like the original True Grit. Another favourite is Barquero with Lee Van Cleef.

• Like 2

Remember the fifties colour westerns? Anything with Audie Murphy, Randolph Scott and others where good always triumphed and the hero got the girl at the end. Justice was dispensed and they all rode into the sunset. Usually from Universal or Columbia, they made good B movies for a double feature. The West was usually portrayed in stark desert or mountainous scenery which always added to their appeal. The supporting cast could be seen in virtually all of them. The Duke emerged from them into a top Western star enhanced by director John Ford who brought fame to the badlands with superb B/W photography.

Brian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If I understand this, we are also invited to nominate bad westerns 

Sabatta

Lee Van Cleef with his fleet of fancy guns and a crazy Mexican with an indian (sort of hippy) friend.  The most 1960's hippy is Banjo..  don't underestimate him, that banjo has fire power.

A trash film, I would watch and curse every time its on

Andy

What no “Old Gringo” comments!

I'm mildly amazed nobody has mentioned "Shane".

An iconic film of it's time, with a bit of everything.

"SHANE......SHANE.... COME BACK....".

I suppose in these more enlightened times the connection between Shane and Little Joe would be classed as an inappropriate relationship.

Another all time great also not yet mentioned is "High Noon".

I can't watch "Shane": that kid is just so annoying!

When I got my first DVD player, the first DVD I bought to play on it was "Once Upon A Time In The West".

Jim

• Like 1

Don't forget the Western that made John Wayne - Stagecoach - my favourite western, particularly Thomas Mitchell as the drunken doctor.

And don't forget John Ford's cavalry trilogy!

Dave

• Like 1

Always enjoy 'Coogan's Bluff' when it's on, a different kind of western, set in the east!

And one of the best motorcycle chase sequences on celluloid.

Can I nominate Cowboys and Aliens as, if not the worst, definitely the silliest?

• Like 2