The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Best and Worst Western Movies.

allan downes

Googled "Best Western Ever Made " and this, believe it or not, was what it came up with.

image.php?encI=X55g%3ADDiii.%2FWBs.JvVDJ

So dare't google "Worst Western Ever Made " in case it come up with something this !

JS80858202.jpg

The dark eyed goddess in the top pic is a very familiar face in a lot of the Italian cult films of the '60s and '70s I've been indulging in for a few years now, much cheese abounds within, but she certainly lights up the screen very nicely along with others of her exotic ilk like Edwige Fenech, Barbara Buchet, Anita Strindberg and Susan Scott. D-i-n-g and indeed d-o-n-g squire!

The evil antique purveyor below on the other hand makes me want to stick my size nine (well alright, size six and a half at a push) through the screen...  :banghead: 

• Like 1

John Wayne really saved the best till last, The Shootist is a real classic and True Grit was a film that only Big John could make..

A really tense, atmospheric film which hasn’t yet had a mention - Russell Crowe’s 3:10 to Yuma.

A gloriously OTT spoof which hasn’t yet had a mention - Rango, which manages more references than any other, including “The Spirit Of The West” in his golf cart, Jurassic Park (what WAS that thing?), Bill Nighy at his most flamboyantly menacing, Hunter S Thompson, Apocalypse Now...

• RMweb Premium

I work for a part of Tarmac in a modern office overlooking Wolverhampton station.

We have a sort of social room, it is part kitchen, part canteen, part meeting room with hard and soft seating.

The room has a big TV screen which at times is used for presentations etc but most of the time it is just the TV.

I wonder in there at times taking telephone and conference calls because most of the time it is empty but the telly is always on.

I dump things like Jeremy Kyle etc. and at a point in the day I hunt for westerns and war films.

Not because I have time to sit and watch them but I like to think I am educating and broadening the minds of my colleagues.

Today....

I found John Wayne in The Comancheroes.

It was on for most of the lunch whilst I ate my jacket potato when a senior manager sat down and dumped it for the news.

I did my bit as long as it lasted

Andy

• Like 3

Bad Day at Black Rock, a "modern" western.

Spencer Tracey is fabulous in it, Robert Ryan as the bad guy and Ernest Borgnine as the heavy.

My favourite film ever

And it starts and finishes with a classic train

post-13564-0-76577500-1520967728_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

What kind of drugs was John Ford possibly tripping out on when he thought something like this would have been typical of a US Cavalry troop out on patrol without a women's hairdressing salon or beauty parlor anywhere to be seen !

image.php?encI=X55g%3ADDiii.%2FWBs.JvVDJ

Right. Follow me ladies. Foreward yo !

image-w856.jpg?1484183490

Are you sure, John ?. It looks awful beastly out there. You know. Spiders and stuff...

Ribbon-2479.jpg

Aw, I dunno Sweetie. I'ts not too bad once you get used to it.

custer.jpg

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 2

Sooner or later it had to come -  cowboys wired for sound and who better than Jul Brynner to provide the sparks- but you'll need a packet of fuses mind you. This guy's lightnin' fast !

Silly idea you might ask and  maybe so, but a brilliant one all the same!

Annex%20-%20Brynner,%20Yul%20%28Westworl

Edited by allan downes

A bleak night on TV yesterday but the Horse Soldiers was on the Westerns channel for the umpteenth time so we watched it for the umpteenth time. You really can't beat a John Ford cavalry film, stirring music, lots of action in colour between the Rebs and Union soldiers, pretty Southern 'gal' for decoration and a small part for Anna Lee, from the UK. William Holden and the Duke are on form and a personal viewpoint is that John Wayne could have stopped here and not got on to older parts which didn't really suit his image.

Brian.

• Like 2

Mum and dad took me to see 'The Horse Soldiers' at our local cinema when I was nobbut a kitten. I think I was about 6 or 7 at the time. About all I came away with was the rebel charge in the town, but I've seen it several times since.

On the subject of John Ford cavalry movies, I thought 'She Wore a Yellow Ribbon' was one of the better ones. I don't know if the drills in it are correct, but I imagine they're pretty close.

• 2 weeks later...

A bleak night on TV yesterday but the Horse Soldiers was on the Westerns channel for the umpteenth time so we watched it for the umpteenth time. You really can't beat a John Ford cavalry film, stirring music, lots of action in colour between the Rebs and Union soldiers, pretty Southern 'gal' for decoration and a small part for Anna Lee, from the UK. William Holden and the Duke are on form and a personal viewpoint is that John Wayne could have stopped here and not got on to older parts which didn't really suit his image.Brian.

Can’t agree, I’m afraid. He was obviously enjoying himself in “McLintock”, was the only man in Hollywood who could pull off “True Grit” (as was regrettably demonstrated recently, the whole POINT being that it is about an ageing John Wayne character) and “The Shootist” was quality cinema by any standards

SWAYR was on TCM last night and we watched it for the umpteenth time followed by "Chisum".  No comparison between  the two, Chisum was all right but certainly not one of JWs best  while the older film was in better condition with gorgeous Technicolor after all these years and with the right amount of sympathy and action.  John Ford could always be depended for grand, scenic cavalry pictures which always seemed convincing and there usually were credits to some retired army officer.

Brian.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think Hollywood really went into overdrive when they came up with this take on what they imagined what female gunfighters of the old Wild West  must have looked like !

984a0b0f560bc9c7c18f96b34564ddd9.jpg

Never seen that film but my guess is the following would have been said:  Rootin' tootin', Get outta town Mr, Oh yeah, oh yeah, I'm not that kinda girl, don't call be baby/doll/sweetheart.  Am I right?

Sooner or later it had to come -  cowboys wired for sound and who better than Jul Brynner to provide the sparks- but you'll need a packet of fuses mind you. This guy's lightnin' fast !

He does look good, shame he was just 4ft 11 inches though.

I particularly like the pneumatic tyre tracks in the foreground of this photograph !

• Like 3

Bad Day at Black Rock, a "modern" western.

Spencer Tracey is fabulous in it, Robert Ryan as the bad guy and Ernest Borgnine as the heavy.

My favourite film ever

The SP train at the beginning and end is rather good too!

EDIT

I see it's been said before but I've just found this thread....

Edited by Il Grifone

Anything with Clint Eastwood really.

When my first band used to go ‘on stage’ we put the chimes from Good/Bad/Ugly, it still gives me butterflies when I hear it! My brother bought a CD of Ennio Morricone tracks, they’re awesome.

What about Will Smith’s Wild Wild West?

Or Back to the Future III?

Or good old Paint Your Wagon??

In fact I seem to remember quite a good film called ‘Wagons East’ a spoof about a bunch of pioneers who decided the Wild West wasn’t actually very nice and wanted to go back to civilisation.

The tyre tracks in Westworld are OK because service vehicles are actually part of the plot so they're not actually an anachronism. Also on Westworld, I'd never realised how short Yul Brynner actually was, even in Western heels, until I rewatched it a couple of months back.

As for Wild Wild West, that's two hours of my life I won't be getting back.