Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Red's Inconceivable Concept Dump

Ah, I see. I am unlikely to ever try it as it would require expenditure!

0-4-0ST's are, however, very nice.

Yes. So Peter will be staying small. Still, the KLR will need larger locomotives eventually. Wild Rover can't do all the heavy passenger work.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

Yes. So _Peter_ will be staying small. Still, the KLR will need larger locomotives eventually. _Wild Rover_ can't do all the heavy passenger work.

That being said, finding a cheap, working L&Y Pug to finish Peter is proving extremely troublesome, so maybe some alternative methods to achieving the intended result are needed...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My main objection to the saddle tank prairie is that the centre axle seems to be very oddly sprung, in a way that the axle is not connected in any visible way to the spring.  Front one is fine.

My main objection to the saddle tank prairie is that the centre axle seems to be very oddly sprung, in a way that the axle is not connected in any visible way to the spring.  Front one is fine.

It's just a concept anyway, but still I can see why that would cause problems. 

Still not the oddest saddle-tank I've ever seen. That'd be this gigantic beast.

Well, to celebrate me finally being able to complete Peter, the little Dapol Pug-based saddle tank that has been the thorn in my side for well over a months, I decided I'd do a few variations on the humble but extortionately expensive little 0-4-0:

post-33750-0-97059600-1523298398.png

Starting off with what I'll be doing for Peter - this nice little Avonside:

post-33750-0-67590900-1523298419.png

Credit for this one actually goes to Captainalbino; I merely simplified an already existing concept that he came up with in his 1340 Trojan build.

Then this, which actually looks far better as a potential build than I expected:

post-33750-0-37681400-1523298461.png

And one for my good friend sem34090:

post-33750-0-93076200-1523298494.png

I actually quite like this. Might send it to him as a genuine suggestion for his own work.

And finally this, my masterpiece... ish. It's an attempt at creating a modern Triang Nellie using parts from the Pug and the various Hornby starter locos available on the market. The result is a bit messy (or at least my Photoshop mockup is) but shows promise:

post-33750-0-13227200-1523298582.png

As always, feel free to try these for yourself as long as credit for the idea is given - excluding the Avonside, as mentioned main credit for that should go to Captainalbino - and as always hope you enjoy them but don't blame me if they're ugly xD

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Putting this here as I don't know where else to put it. A follow-up to this conversation over on Skinnylinny's Great Southern Railway thread a couple days ago as to avoid clogging up Linny's thread. Seeing what happened last time I did it I felt I'd move it over to somewhere where going off-track is less of an inconvenience. I mean almost nobody reads this thread anyway as far as I know. Of my main threads this is easily the least popular.

post-33750-0-44070000-1526639855.jpg

post-33750-0-39610900-1526639867.jpg

post-33750-0-07600200-1526639837.jpg

"Thomas was a tank engine, who lived at a Big Station. He had six small wheels, a short stumpy funnel, a short stumpy boiler and a short stumpy dome."

(Sorry the picture is so small. I couldn't find any bigger pictures to work from.)

• Like 1

I like those 0-4-0s! It’s funny how some look like they should have outside cylinders and some look like they should be inside.

0-4-0 tender engine as a suggestion?

Also you need to consider how later engines would have turned out if single driving wheels remained a thing. Imagine the Scotsman with one 12’ driver, or what about a Super D or 9f!!

Food for thought...

I like those 0-4-0s! It’s funny how some look like they should have outside cylinders and some look like they should be inside.

0-4-0 tender engine as a suggestion?

Also you need to consider how later engines would have turned out if single driving wheels remained a thing. Imagine the Scotsman with one 12’ driver, or what about a Super D or 9f!!

Food for thought...

Thank you! I try my best. Keep in mind it's unlikely I'd ever build any of this. 

And those are some strange ideas... Hmm...

• 4 weeks later...

Can this:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_09_2017/post-898-0-40142800-1505684845.jpg

be made into an inside cylindered outside framed illegetime child of straying GWR City Of Truro?

That pacific is cool!!!

Looks like a B16 has made mad passionate love with a V2.

C.

Another slightly insane concept for you today, inspired by me putting my incomplete No.3 onto an Airfix Large Prairie chassis on a whim:

attachicon.gif2-6-2ST.png

It's another product of pure silliness really, but here it is so you can have a go at this absurd saddle-tank if you wish.

How about the saddle tank onto a 45XX chassis?

The old Lima ones are still out there. I know the powerdrive could be dodgy to say the least!!!! Marrying the boiler and saddle tank and smokebox to the cab and powerdrive is a thought!

It would give off a built in America for a Welsh line then absorbed vibe!!!

Did happen, check out the 0-8-2 tanks. I'm afraid I can't remember which Welsh absorbed line had them. Sorry.

C.