• 2 weeks later...

I look forward to seeing further developments!

In the meantime, no progress has been made on 'West due to... my not making any progress! I may have something new to post eventually, you never know!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so no actual progress on the layout, but I have decided to make a few changes to the map. I think this one better shows where Blackstone is situated, and the pier is of a more plausible length (Slightly longer than Ryde Pier). We also now have a quay (also nicked from Rye). The map now contains bits from Portland too, in the form of the breakwater.

post-33498-0-89627500-1536135942_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another month! And still no progress...

However, things may/should pick up soon. I hopefully have some new, bigger, boards for the layout and have decided that, through the use of duplicate buildings the layout will be able to represent all periods from 1903/4 to 1960. Therefore, the ballast would be in the conventional style, and the signals will be of the later LBSCR pattern. The reason for this is as follows:

1.) I still want a pre grouping layout!

2.) I have a lot of BR Southern Locos and goods stock that I don't want to sell but that needs a home.

3.) I'm warming to the Southern Railway era, now that I volunteer on a station restored to Southern Railway era colours and condition.

• Like 4

Here is the potential main board with some random bits placed to give an idea of scale. What I like with this board is that it has the potential to allow a nice sense of space to be given, plus some more room for non-railway scenery.

post-33498-0-07752300-1541025084_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sem, my apologies, I’ve been looking at your workbench thread, but I never picked up on your layout thread, totally remiss. You mentioned about taking your Ealing East to a show, which made me curious, but any chance of some piccies before you scrap it? Good luck with the outing, too.

Unfortunately still no physical process, but I decided it was about time I showed the LBSC/SEC connection on the map. I think the date given for this is 1915. The reason for it's being so far from the station is simply because I don't want to include it 'on stage'! For the pre-1915 period it is entirely inappropriate, as it is for the post-1927 period.

post-33498-0-92067400-1541526187_thumb.png

Also, and I regret not having any drawings to hand, but does anyone know how feasible a conversion from a (Urie Superheated) ex-LSWR Drummond Class 700 to an ex-LBSCR C2x? The two classes have a very similar sort of aesthetic, and their wheel diameters are so close as makes no difference in 00. My main concern is wheelbase, as I am unable to compare this, and possibly also the boiler length & diameter. To me the 700's boiler looks slimmer, though that may be because the C2x's boiler looks longer. The 700 may also appear to have a smaller boiler because of its taller cab. I'd like to think though that this is a plausible conversion. Some will shoot me for this, but I think if I were to do a C2x it'd have to be in post-LBSCR livery of some description. I say this because it's a class that I more closely associate with post-grouping than pre-grouping, maybe because some of the conversions were very late in the pre-grouping period, and others were long after the SR took over. At any rate, I think with the price they are now I will try and get hold of a Hornby 700 in the Hattons Sale, and if it can't be converted it can simply remain as-is.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't often do additions to the 'lore' and canon of the whole KLR/Blackstone/Castle Aching, etc, etc, thing but I thought I'd enjoy a bit of railway research and come up with a (rather implausible!) heritage fleet to exist on a preserved version of Blackstone West based around locos that I already own...

SR Maunsell Q 30531 (To use my 4F's chassis)

Bought from BR in July 1964 and moved to Blackstone from Redhill (75B) the following month by rail as far as Lydd Town, thence to Blackstone West by road. The loco ran until 1967, but in March of that year the steam reverser failed spectacularly and, with the group's affections  being primarily with pre-grouping machines she was sidelined until 1978, when a restoration commenced. This was completed in 1981 and the loco was returned to service in BR black, bearing the early crest. Running (with overhauls) in this condition until 2007, the loco was repainted in 2008 into Southern Railway lined goods black. The livery was entirely inauthentic for the loco, but was worn until 2012 when the lining was removed. The loco today runs as 531 in SR Maunsell Black. The loco is also currently being assessed for mainline certification, which may see a return to British Railways livery due to the fitment of an AWS box.

SR Maunsell S15 30831 

Purchased from BR in 1963 (from 72B, Salisbury) and initially stored at Sheffield Park. A lack of space there towards the end of the 1960s saw a move to Blackstone in 1970, where a restoration was commenced. Completed five years later, the locomotive (somewhat surprisingly) appeared in LSWR Holly Green, a livery only ever carried by Urie-Pattern S15's. This was by far the last spurious livery to be carried by the loco, and following it's 1986 overhaul it appeared in SR Malachite Green, in the style of the N15's that carried the livery. 1996 saw an appearance in BR Lined Green, again inspired by the N15's that wore the livery. In 2007, three liveries were carried by the loco in service. At the beginning of the April, it was in pink undercoat that one of the workshop staff decided to adorn with large yellow spots. Following the many letters of complaint to the heritage railway press, the loco re-emerged in June in grey undercoat, this time adorned with the number '831' in large white numerals on the tender, and mock-up SECR plates on the cabside. This livery arguably suited the loco perfectly, but by September the topcoats of its new livery had been applied. 30831 had gone blue, and emerged as WD831 in Longmoor Military Railway Line Blue. It wouldn't be until 2018 that the loco finally emerged in an authentic livery, now wearing BR Black.

SR Lord Nelson 852 'Sir Walter Raleigh' 

Withdrawn February 1962 from 71B (Bournemouth) and allegedly scrapped the following month. However, the loco remained stored at the back of Bournemouth MPD under a tarpaulin until May 1964, when the loco was purchased by the Beauclerk family. After spending a short time 'plinthed' outside the house on a short section of track, the loco was moved down to Blackstone West in October to join 30029 that had also been purchased by the family. Restoration of 852 commenced in 1966. Eventually returned to steam in 1975, after problems traditionally associated with the class had been ironed out, the loco ran into the 1980s. That decade saw it overhauled for main line running, and from 1987 to 1994 much of the loco's time was spent away from Blackstone on charters and visiting heritage lines as an ambassador for the rest of Blackstone's Southern fleet.Withdrawn again in 1997, the loco wouldn't steam again until 2004, returning to the mainline once again in SR malachite and occasionally running tours with the other surviving member of the class - 850 ''Lord Nelson'. 2014 saw the loco withdrawn again, this time returning in 2018 after a backdate to original condition that saw the removal of various Bulleid-era features and the removal of the smoke deflectors. The loco is currently running in olive green as 852.

Peckett W4 'Martlet' 

Used for shunting private sidings at Blackstone West until the goods branch to there was closed in 1960. The loco remained on site, however, and became the new heritage railway's first loco, being used for general shunting an maintenance jobs on the line ever since, with short gaps for overhauls. So useful is the loco that a second boiler was ordered in 2009 to enable it to steam continuously, other repairs excepted.The loco has worn the same lined dark green livery for at least 60 years now, and the railway has no intention of changing that!

LSWR Drummond M7 30029 

Withdrawn from BR in 1964 and stored for three months at Bournemouth (71B) MPD before being included with the sale of 30852 to the Beauclerk family. The locomotive was moved to Blackstone at the same time as 30852 but went straight to the railway at Blackstone West. Remaining in covered storage until 1973, the loco was returned to steam in 1976 in spurious SECR Wainwright Livery. It wore this until 1980 when a repaint saw it back in BR Lined Black. 1988 saw the loco re-emerge from its first preservation-era overhaul in SR Olive Green, which it bore for its full ten year stint to 1998. 2000 saw the loco briefly appear in false LBSCR Umber for filming work, before SR Lined Malachite was applied. This was replaced, in 2007, by LSWR Drummond Green. This was carried for the remainder of its boiler ticket, and continues to be worn to this day after its re-emergence in 2012. (300)29 is currently on loan to the Mid Hants Railway.

SR Maunsell N 31404 

Withdrawn in December 1963 and dispatched to the Kelsby Light Railway from Guildford MPD in January 1964. The loco was named 'Christian Soldier', and perhaps unfortunately it was numbered 13. The loco saw but two runs on that line before a severe failure to the rear of its frames. The loco was dismantled at Berkham and remained in such a state until 1975. In that year, the loco was sold to the Mid Hants Railway to provide spares to the other surviving N class, 31874 which was then being restored at Ropley. After 31874's completion in 1978, attentions turned to the restoration of 31404. MHR politics caused very little work to happen on the loco, so its component parts were removed to Blackstone in 1981. There, a long and drawn out restoration -complicated by the missing parts donated to 31874- commenced to be finally completed in 2013. Unfortunately the loco is currently out of service due to the rear frames failing again - a legacy of the patch repairs undertaken at the KLR during its time at Berkham. Another legacy of that time is the name that it carries today - 'Edward's Curse' in a dubious honour to the man who had such great plans for the machine on the KLR. More information about 31404 can be found here: https://www.rmweb.co...-3#entry3372105

SECR R1 174 

Withdrawn from BR in 1959 from Nine Elms and stored at Eastleigh pending scrapping for a few months. It was then, mysteriously, moved to Ashford for scrapping and it was from there that it was purchased for preservation. Following a spell of running from 1960 to 1972, the loco was withdrawn due to a serious boiler failure. The loco lay rotting in the yard at Blackstone Town for the ensuing 25 years, until in 1997 work commenced on restoring as much as could be, with a view to fitting a new boiler. In the event, two boilers were ordered in 2004 from a German manufacturer, one boiler to the original Stirling design, the other to the later Wainwright design. With alternative boiler fittings and cabs being fabricated at Blackstone, this enables the loco to be in service almost continuously in alternate Wainwright and Stirling styles. Upon returning to service in 2007, 174 appeared in her original Stirling guise in SER lined black. Withdrawn in 2017 after a full ten year stint, the loco was outshopped again in 2018 in Wainwright condition, finished in SECR Wainwright green.

LBSCR Billinton E4 579 

Withdrawn from Eastleigh MPD in 1959, 579 herself didn't actually make it into preservation, being scrapped in December of that year. She had been a regular on the Blackstone West branch in the years before closure to passengers in 1927 and appeared for a few years after that on occasional goods turns. The loco that, today, bears 579's number is in fact 474, latterly 32474. This loco was withdrawn from Brighton MPD almost 4 years after 579's demise and as such survived long enough to be moved to Blackstone for preservation. Running until 1971 as herself, 32474, the loco was withdrawn, re-emerging in 1979 as B579 in Maunsell Olive. Somewhat controversially, the loco has retained this false identity ever since and can today be seen in Marsh Umber as 579.

SECR Wainwright C 271

The Blackstone Railway is unusual amongst heritage railways in that very few of its locos, indeed none, came from Woodham Bro's scrapyard on Barry Island. 31271 is no exception, and is one of the many former Southern Region locomotives to have been purchased directly from BR. Official records on 271's final allocation do not agree on exactly where she was allocated. Some cite Bricklayer's Arms, others state Stewart's Lane. In fact, neither of these are correct as 271 actually spent her final months allocated to Blackstone Town shed. Upon withdrawal in 1963 she was moved to Blackstone West for preservation. The movement of 271 from the MPD to the heritage establishment is a well-known tale locally. The triangle connecting Blackstone West to the SER mainline into 'Town had been removed by BR in 1962 following purchase of the rest of the line by the Blackstone Railway. Most locos that were brought in from elsewhere were transported by road for the final leg to Blackstone West, but for 271 this was not the option taken. To have taken the loco by road up to the Blackstone Railway's Eastern railhead would have in fact taken more effort and have been further than to simply move the loco across the 1/2 mile journey to 'West through the streets. As such, this is how it was done. 271's tender went first and was moved through the streets by hand and rope up to the former LBSCR station, with the loco following the next day. It is a shame no photographs have survived that capture the moment. 271 is currently in simplified SECR livery and in running order.

LBSCR Stroudley A1 44 'Fulham' 

32644 was withdrawn by BR in 1950, and somewhat strangely was moved to Ashford for storage. Listed as scrapped the following year, the little terrier lurked at the back of a yard for a further decade, covered by tarpaulins and hidden by other stored locos. In 1960, when visiting the works to find locos for their new enterprise, the Blackstone preservationists found 32644 in an unkempt, but not dire, condition. As a former Blackstone West branch stalwart, the preservationists couldn't believe their luck at finding the (supposedly lost) locomotive. It would be a few more years before 'Fulham' saw use again, however. The loco was sent to Brighton Works upon purchase for conversion back to A1 condition, much preferred by the preservationists, some of whom fondly remembered her working the branch in that condition. The conversion and overhaul was completed in 1966, and 44 was officially returned to service in June 1967, 90 years after her initially entering service. She ran until her centenary 10 years later before being withdrawn for another overhaul. Since then, the loco has been in service continuously apart from when overhauls have dictated otherwise.

BR Riddles 4MT 80140 

80140 was a Southern Region allocated loco throughout its working life, and remains as such to this day. Withdrawn from service at Nine Elms on the final day of Southern steam, Sunday 9th July 1967, 80140 was dispatched to Birds scrapyard at Risca, Monmouthshire. Her time here was short, however, and the locomotive was purchased within a few days of her arrival in October of that year. Initially preserved at Blackstone West, the loco was sold to an owning group based on the Mid Hants Railway in 1987 but the group was relocated to Blackstone in 2002. Withdrawn for overhaul in 2012, the loco will re-enter service in 2019.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1

I thought I may as well put some of these shots here as well as on Alex's thread. I've been working on a train simulator recreation of the entirety of Blackstone, so here are a couple of shots showing mostly what has been done with 'West.

msg-34750-0-90121300-1542903583_thumb.jp

msg-34750-0-45473800-1542903819_thumb.jp

msg-34750-0-60361700-1542903939_thumb.jp

msg-34750-0-52823100-1542903993_thumb.jp

msg-34750-0-85094500-1542904031_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got Blackstone West set up on its legs and with another board attached.
Hopefully next week we can have all three boards set up then the following week tracklaying *may* finally start.
msg-34750-0-11845700-1543960510_thumb.jp 
msg-34750-0-64726900-1543960555_thumb.jp 
msg-34750-0-35279400-1543960598_thumb.jp

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Firstly, Blackstone West has seen some track laid and holes cut for all point motors. More on this may be possible later, depending on how much work I get done. (Or not, as the case may be)

Secondly, it may have gained an alter-ego in the form of Beauclere. Beauclere is shaping up to be a small market town of a similar size to New Alresford in Hampshire, and served by a 3.25 mile branch from the LSWR's Alresford station. The structures on this layout will be in the same style as those used on the Winchester & Alton Railway (Now part of my beloved Mid Hants Railway), the first of which to be penned for completion being an LSWR Type 1 Signalbox using a kit for Alresford 'box.

post-33498-0-00562100-1546518549_thumb.jpg

Beauclere (The name is derived from Beauworth, near to the supposed location, and I thought it a nice reference to Blackstone as it is pronounced the same way as 'Beauclerk') has come about for the following reasons:

At present it is intended that Blackstone West and Beauclere will be the same layout in all but name and certain structures, sharing a baseboard, a trackplan, ballast, general scenery and domestic structures. However, this looks likely to change soon with Beauclere possibly becoming a layout entirely in its own right. We'll see. At any rate I think I'll start a separate thread for it even if it is likely that there'll be some crossover here.

• RMweb Premium

It’s getting a bit fragmented, with separate threads for Blackstone W, Beauclere, and the other bit going on Medstead. The idea of a common terminus layout is 100% good, and just swap buildings and scenic background.

If you’ve got a copy of this, there’s some Watercress photos, and there’s sufficient generic drawings in there for you to cobble up a building to your liking.

post-26540-0-14658400-1546527518_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I haven't got that book, so thank you for suggesting it!

The reason that the two layouts are possibly going to be separate entities is because I may have some extra baseboards to fill. But for now I intend for them to be one of the same as far as track and core infrastructure are concerned.

• RMweb Premium

It’s an old Ian Allan book, and it does appear quite regularly in second hand shops, and on the preserved lines shops. (There’s an equivalent one on the SECR Stations, but not the LBSC)

Edited by Northroader

• 1 month later...

Sadly no more progress on anything other than Ivychurch, but I hope that work will re-commence on Blackstone West before too long. In the meantime, have some history, taken from Branch Lines to Blackstone, by Middleton Press:

image.png.f6c11e84b3613c202e3189f6f1d45c00.png

image.png.690cc18e08ae66309eb67cf7b2b657f3.png

image.png.f39f6e77a2fcb0f64cec44e75739253c.png

image.png.cc859add46e22a4aff68af1751dc2900.png

image.png.b392547cd43573380d1aaae630e81f01.png

image.png.3328cf2bd2837978ac4c9ee88ec4ffa1.png

Please note, this is very intentionally done in the style of the well-known Middleton Press books, but it should be noted that all insignia and trademarks are copyright of Middleton Press, not of me.

If this is wrong in anyway, I'd appreciate feedback! ;) 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, so I feel that some news is in order...

Firstly, the layout now runs! The track is down on the scenic section, and since this video was made (not by me!) the farthest board has been energised. Tracklaying on the fiddle yard board is set to commence this week.

There have also been developments on the false-history side of things - A revised edition of Branch Lines to Blackstone has been published...

image.png.6b06ed2842d4b747f2d33d75841b166e.pngimage.png.02efd3f8eca45f37896d20129266ac6a.pngimage.png.20702e4948bacb6f39db3adb97603594.pngimage.png.63203f6efadb11bce1c0574f2d23b8dc.pngimage.png.96e6101c0cd47b077e74c100aa9bcc37.pngimage.png.b57164238604bcfc54ae796cda7f8920.pngimage.png.99844fce92d718a436f4efdbafc33e61.pngimage.png.1484608a066809915796ab1684795ac4.png

Same caveats as previously...

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 months later...

So, another few months - Any news?

Well yes, there is! The fiddle yard was laid some time ago, though has yet to be wired, and the track on the main board has all been ballasted now.

Work stalled in June/July, and then got concentrated on Odiham -

And Lillie Bridge has also featured. The completion of Odiham and painting things in SR colours has re-ignited something which has been lying dormant for some time - My love of SR Electric units.

fleet_ajwills_nol.jpg

Now, obviously a branch East of Hastings set before 1927 wasn't going to fulfil that re-born ambition to model SR EMUs, so Third Rail was laid on Odiham. Bad mistake - not having an EMU in my ownership currently (Well... Besides the LT Sub-Surface stock...) I then decided that I needed to justify purchasing a Hornby 2-BIL. So Blackstone West has had its history re-written and is now to be set between 1934 (I'm envisaging it being electrified as part of the Hastings electrification, so the equipment would have begun appearing late in 1934 for a 1935 commencement of services) and 1939, though I expect the latter date can be flexed up to 1948 should I wish it to (I still love Bulleid Pacifics!).

Now, EMU stock for Blackstone. I should have asked this in my workbench thread, but shall ask it here anyway (and probably ask it there later) but does anyone know how I might (relatively) easily make myself a Series 1 2-BIL? For those who are confused by what I mean, the first 10 2-BIL EMUs (those built for the Hastings Electrification) were significantly different from the later batches of BIL. The whole layout of the bodysides was different on these units, so I was wondering if some etches were available which I could use to convert a Hornby 2-BIL or maybe an Ian Kirk one.

Other EMU stock will consist of 2-NOLs and short-formed (because my layout's too small!) 6-PUL and 6-PAN units. I also intend to have 3-SUB and 4-LAV units appearing from time to time. 

Of course, this doesn't mean that steam stock won't appear - far from it. The former SER lines into Blackstone wouldn't have been electrified until at least 1960 (Kent Coast Electrification - Phase 2) so any services from that side of things would be steam-hauled still, and I still intend to have stock to represent the brief period between the laying of the Third Rail and the commencement of electric services.

Edited by sem34090