Huckford Road or Harecombe Common (to be decided)

Mulgabill

Those who have dropped in on my topic "A Cartoon Of Helston(ish)" may be aware of what this is about.

For those who haven't, please feel free to visit, and following will try to set out how this side project should

develop.

I have a grandson who turned 8 recently, and was excited to be told that I was commencing the build of

a layout which would include a section for him.

What I have come up with is a plan for a layout based on Winterbourne Goods yard (GW Badminton cut off

just East of Stoke Gifford/Bristol Parkway).

Not only did I, and my family, live around the corner for about eight years, but Winterbourne conveniently

had a layout which had a plain 2 platform station East of an overbridge, with a small goods yard West of

said bridge. (In a cutting, and bounded by 2 overbridges).

Shown on this map (I hope)

http://maps.nls.uk/view/109729438

My idea is to remove some pointwork, by taking the yard sidings under the bridge, effectively exporting the

crossover etc out of the viewed section. The righthand section (approx 2'6") to just West of the goods shed

building then becomes a 3 track shunting puzzle, plus 2 track mainline, which will be served by a small sector

plate fiddle yard. This will become my grandsons section.

I also intend, on the other end of the original board, to build the rest of the yard layout. Thereby giving

the possibility of having a "proper" layout, which could be sandwiched by fiddle yards.

The aim being to at least match, but hopefully improve on the standards of Helstonish.

These pics give an impression of the layout at the planning stage

post-25234-0-76692400-1520975931_thumb.jpg

This shows the Shunt Puzzle end

post-25234-0-78549800-1520976030_thumb.jpg

The overall layout

Now a couple of pics showing progress so far with buildings etc

post-25234-0-63475700-1520976157_thumb.jpg

Parts for the road bridge, started on stonework with individual "clay" stones. The girder sections

are all card laminations. The wagons in view are the 1st to be passed to my grandson, and were well wrapped in bubble wrap

when we left, I hope that respect continues.

post-25234-0-90856600-1520976312_thumb.jpg

The base layers for the goods shed, but I'm out of embossed plasticard, so this will be picked up at a later

date. Also an old superquick Goods shed, which will normally sit in place at my grandsons, the aim being to

replace it on special occasions. The proper job will actually overhang the basic baseboard width.

And I hope that some of you will want to share this journey with us, cos' as ever I will need your help

and guideance.

• Like 7

Thanks to all for the positive comments, and I'm chuffed to also note that there have been over 340 views

which is a much higher rate than Helstonish has. Could be down to my having managed to tag Huckford Road

at the outset.

Real progress has been a bit slow partly because weather has not encouraged me into the garage to cut down

the baseboard. This is a concious decision on my part, as I know I would be inclined to rush the job, and rushed

carpentry won't lead to a reliable set up.

However I did use my "snow day" and quite a lot of other time on building the bridge, stone by stone.

Here is progress so far.

post-25234-0-87911900-1521563798_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-82862400-1521563923_thumb.jpg

Next I plan to spray prime it, maybe stonework wth a mix of grey and red, before trying to add pointing.

The centre pillar will not be completely sorted until I can offer it up to its place on the layout.

Back soon I hope.

• Like 8

Thanks to all for the positive comments, and I'm chuffed to also note that there have been over 340 views

which is a much higher rate than Helstonish has. Could be down to my having managed to tag Huckford Road

at the outset.

Real progress has been a bit slow partly because weather has not encouraged me into the garage to cut down

the baseboard. This is a concious decision on my part, as I know I would be inclined to rush the job, and rushed

carpentry won't lead to a reliable set up.

However I did use my "snow day" and quite a lot of other time on building the bridge, stone by stone.

Here is progress so far.

attachicon.gifDSC_0070.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0071.JPG

Next I plan to spray prime it, maybe stonework wth a mix of grey and red, before trying to add pointing.

The centre pillar will not be completely sorted until I can offer it up to its place on the layout.

Back soon I hope.

How did you create the stonework? I'd like to try something like that for the bridge at Hewe on my own layout (which is in the planning stages currently.)

How did you create the stonework? I'd like to try something like that for the bridge at Hewe on my own layout (which is in the planning stages currently.)

DAS modelling clay, rolled and scribed to be app 0.5 - 1mm thick, and scribed to 2,4,6,8 mm x 4-10mm

When dry, cut and lifted so effectively about 4 different sizes of "stones" these are then individually applied to a mix of PVA/water/exterior

filler as a base mortar, onto mount card formers. (However the card does tend to warp a bit and remedial bracing was needed).

I also found it useful to make some 2mm strips, to cut to length as required. Most used size was 4mm high, with 6 or 8mm for the quoins.

Quite theraputic when sat infront of the telly!

• Informative/Useful 1

DAS modelling clay, rolled and scribed to be app 0.5 - 1mm thick, and scribed to 2,4,6,8 mm x 4-10mm

When dry, cut and lifted so effectively about 4 different sizes of "stones" these are then individually applied to a mix of PVA/water/exterior

filler as a base mortar, onto mount card formers. (However the card does tend to warp a bit and remedial bracing was needed).

I also found it useful to make some 2mm strips, to cut to length as required. Most used size was 4mm high, with 6 or 8mm for the quoins.

Quite theraputic when sat infront of the telly!

Thanks. Perfect for building bridges for my Norfolk-set freelance. 

Any advice you can give on doing flint, while I'm asking?

And it is therapeutic. I started doing modelling actually as a form of therapy for depression, so I know the positive effect it can have.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

Thanks. Perfect for building bridges for my Norfolk-set freelance. 

Any advice you can give on doing flint, while I'm asking?

And it is therapeutic. I started doing modelling actually as a form of therapy for depression, so I know the positive effect it can have.

I've not tried to reproduce flint, but when looking for fine assorted stones for a riverbed I went looking for Budgie

grit. But couldn't find any, however I did come across something which may be Chinchilla Grit (as opposed to sand).

Can't say that would do, or even the correct term, but a look at the pet section of an old fashioned "ironmongers"

could be worthwhile.

I'd be looking for something of about the required grade, which could then be sprinkled over PVA.

Good Luck

I've not tried to reproduce flint, but when looking for fine assorted stones for a riverbed I went looking for Budgie

grit. But couldn't find any, however I did come across something which may be Chinchilla Grit (as opposed to sand).

Can't say that would do, or even the correct term, but a look at the pet section of an old fashioned "ironmongers"

could be worthwhile.

I'd be looking for something of about the required grade, which could then be sprinkled over PVA.

Good Luck

Fair enough. Thanks anyway. I'll give that a go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had an impulse buy arrive today - GW 6 wheeled Toad branded Swindon should

be quite appropriate at Huckford Road Yard, on at Swindon - Stoke Gifford Trip.

post-25234-0-16988500-1522941250_thumb.jpg

It was accompanied by OOC Shunters Truck and Tavistock Junc BR brown Toad.

Both of which may be available at SWAG Taunton, to subsidise my extravagance.

Couple of pics to show some (little) progress towards this project.

post-25234-0-70528500-1522941349_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-40344900-1522941583_thumb.jpg

Hopefully getting over my cold now, and some warmer weather may allow some woodwork

to be done. Mind you could be adouble edged sword, as It seems I now have 3 sailing dinghys

to get back in order!

Suppose I won't get bored!

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

This project has progressed - s l o w l y, but I guess thats better than no progress at all.

The one good days weather, last Wednesday was spent sorting the garage, to make room for another boat,

but also some space to do baseboard work. At least until said boat arrives. However other commitments and

deterioration in the weather means baseboard work has not actually proceeded.

Work has however continued on the bridge, spurred on by the forthcoming SWAG do at Taunton, where

I might seek some critical imput.

A couple of up to date shots here, taken today, and I think (hope) only requiring a little touch up on the

last paintwork, plus a matt varnish spray.

post-25234-0-06871500-1524669049_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-87987300-1524669140_thumb.jpg

Please feel free to comment, and even nag into getting on with the woodwork.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As refered to on Helstonish, there has been some disruption to schedules at chez MulgaBill of late.

I have however managed a few slots of time in the garage, and even some on the kitchen table.

So some progress has been/is being made with Huckford Road.

post-25234-0-97770100-1527428765_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-15165900-1527429727_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-67864500-1527429810_thumb.jpg

No pics yet, but yesterday I did make a start on tracklaying, although that has now been suspended pending

my picking up some more cork.

Hopefully I'll be back with more soon, although it could be a while until I can  say I don't "care" any more.

p.s. It's not all bad I have scratch built 2 cakes now, as well as kit built a number of other meals. Feeling

quite smug that there has not been any significant rtr eating in the last couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Still little proper modelling time, with domestic duties taking precedance.

But the kitchen table has seen good use, in between times. (something to do with Mrs MB being

unable to clear my clutter away - perhaps).

I have continued with laying cork, and track as evidenced by these pics. The first two,also

shows the progress from grandsons board, onto the yard extension which I will retain. But

the track positions are now established.

post-25234-0-85297100-1528221198_thumb.jpg

The mainline cork, is from the new roll I got from B&Q. Its thicker than the tiles I previously

used on Helstonish, and here in the goods yard. Creates what I hope will be a pleasing

small difference in rail levels. I think the B&Q was good value at £12.60 for %mtr x 500mm x 6mm

Also starring in the pic, my new rotary tool, a recent special from Aldi, to replace my previous one

which had developed an itermittent fault. Has the advantage that its rechargable, so no more

trailing leads, and it tooke about a third of the time to cut through rail, using the same disk.

post-25234-0-27206500-1528221276_thumb.jpg

Showing the point control arrangements, for the solitary point.

However the conflict between the rod ends, and scenic shelf brackets has yet to be resolved.

post-25234-0-68439000-1528221358_thumb.jpg

Here the goods shed sits on its own base (white), which is in the form it will be when with my grandson.

It will be interchangeable with a larger scratchbuilt model based on Winterbourne, which will have a

larger base, overhanging the board edge here. But sitting within the scenic shelf extension. This for use

if/when the whole layout is put together.

post-25234-0-31079500-1528221444_thumb.jpg

The Hornby controller arrived today, less than £5 all up off that auction site. Will get tested by an electrician

friend, with a view to providing the neccessary power for grandsons set up.

post-25234-0-91141800-1528221558_thumb.jpg

Hopefully thats brought you all up to date. Not too sure when I'll have more to share, but please feel free to join

in with comments or queries, and suggestions. I can at least browse on here from time to time.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Have had a pretty much non railway holiday near Tenby, but have also managed some progress with Huckford Road

since our return.

That is wiring up the 2 boards which will form the grandsons part of the layout. This has been achieved, without recourse

to any electrical switches. I did try to incorporate one to change the frog polarity in the one point, as I did on Helstonish,

but I failed to get it to work reliably, so have left it to the Peco contacts, and brute force. Otherwise its probably the neatest

wiring I've ever achieved.

post-25234-0-50525000-1529957490_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-57323700-1529957650_thumb.jpg

This allowed this evening, the first train : a Stoke Gifford - Swindon Trip, to arrive at Huckford Road Yard.

post-25234-0-31603900-1529957740_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-08341500-1529958137_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-75705500-1529958257_thumb.jpg

Shunting between tracks is by sector plate, allignement by 2 pins in tubes as shown here. Parts came from

some pieces of piano hinge, disassembled and used as shown. These were inherited from my father, and could

well be as old as me! Track supply is also transfered by these from a simple feed into the sector plate.

post-25234-0-76065900-1529959169_thumb.jpg

One section didn't work, but this was down to a missing screw from the choc bloc connectors under the board.

There were other problems, but not really with the layout. Most distressing was that my 50 year old Graham

Farish 94xx threw a coupling rod pin whilst I was warming it up, resulting in a bent coupling rod. Just hope its

not terminal. The EBay "bargain" Hornby transformer also doesn't appear to be working, so maybe not such a

bargain. Further investigation required. I also need to find a way to limit speeds, as the Lima 4575 prairie I used

vice the 94xx was just a bit too free running for comfort, especially in the hands of an 8 yr old.

But all in all progress, at last.

• Like 4

Andy P and Bill (Treggyman), thanks for your responses, i need all the encouragement I can get at the moment

its much appreciated.

Had an unexpected day off work on Friday, to deliver Mrs MB to doctors. Tone was some what lightened

when I found, on top of a very neat "old mags" pile, a Jan 18 BRM.

Also meant I had a bit more home time to accupy, so "my" Huckford Road board came out, and most of the

tools that I had tidied away from the kitchen on Thursday, returned.

Since then I have resumed track laying, and that board is now nearly complete, but obviously not wired.

This was not my planned order of things, but is good progress.

It has the benefit that when I do start on scenics, I can overlap both ends of my gransons board, and

maintain continuity. It also means I can now clear floor space in the railway room, ( where Helstonish is),

by restoring the track etc under the bed.

Having reached this stage I have a query re point operation, and thence rodding.

At Winterbourne (on which this is based) there was a signal box, on the opposite side of the mainline, to the yard.

Would this have worked all the points, or just those on the running lines?

Also (it may be a bit late now) but in the yard there should probably be a catch point, to protect the single slip on

the up main. What form would this have taken in the late 50s or60s? Any suggestions as to how I can represent

this would also be welcomed.

Andy P and Bill (Treggyman), thanks for your responses, i need all the encouragement I can get at the moment

its much appreciated.

Had an unexpected day off work on Friday, to deliver Mrs MB to doctors. Tone was some what lightened

when I found, on top of a very neat "old mags" pile, a Jan 18 BRM.

Also meant I had a bit more home time to accupy, so "my" Huckford Road board came out, and most of the

tools that I had tidied away from the kitchen on Thursday, returned.

Since then I have resumed track laying, and that board is now nearly complete, but obviously not wired.

This was not my planned order of things, but is good progress.

It has the benefit that when I do start on scenics, I can overlap both ends of my gransons board, and

maintain continuity. It also means I can now clear floor space in the railway room, ( where Helstonish is),

by restoring the track etc under the bed.

Having reached this stage I have a query re point operation, and thence rodding.

At Winterbourne (on which this is based) there was a signal box, on the opposite side of the mainline, to the yard.

Would this have worked all the points, or just those on the running lines?

Also (it may be a bit late now) but in the yard there should probably be a catch point, to protect the single slip on

the up main. What form would this have taken in the late 50s or60s? Any suggestions as to how I can represent

this would also be welcomed.

I believe that peco makes a catch point in oo gauge for both code 75 and code 100 track.