The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Two plus ?

NorthBrit

Just over two and half years ago Mrs NorthBrit was feeling unwell.   The doctor was unable to find the problem of her illness.   Eventually she was admitted into hospital.

"When did this start?" asked the Hospital Doctor.

"Towards the end of our holidays" Mrs NB replied.

"Were you in Russia?" asked the Doctor.

"St Petersburg," came the reply.

The Doctor left the room;  returning very shortly.

Mrs NorthBrit was taken immediately to intensive care.  I was told to expect the worst and Mrs NB would not last the night.

Mrs NB must have thought differently.  Four months later she left hospital.   She was incapable of walking.  The rest of her life in a wheelchair beckoned.

Such a life was 'not on the cards'.  One step was made.  Then two, three--  .   She can manage twelve now, sometimes fourteen.  No, it hasn't been easy, but Mrs NorthBrit is a 'fighter'.   ( I have lost many a round :nono: )

Now this Salisbury business is 'all the news'.   Do I add my story and Salisbury and get four, or five?

Now this Salisbury business is 'all the news'.   Do I add my story and Salisbury and get four, or five?

Your's is quite a shocking story. I congratulate your spouse on her tenacity, courage and strength.

Have you any idea how the admitting doctor arrived at his/her diagnosis? I presume there were other indicators like blood tests?

Your's is quite a shocking story. I congratulate your spouse on her tenacity, courage and strength.

Have you any idea how the admitting doctor arrived at his/her diagnosis? I presume there were other indicators like blood tests?

He came to see her the Sunday he admitted her to hospital.  He had last seen her the Friday before and she was getting worse as he looked at her.  Immediately, he contacted the hospital asking for an ambulance 'there and then'.

The rest 'as they say, is history'.     He does say now, everytime he sees her, he didn't expect to see her again.

What I do not understand is,  'Why did the Hospital Doctor ask if we had visited Russia?   What did he know then?'

One thing is certain, Russia is off our holiday list.

...What I do not understand is,  'Why did the Hospital Doctor ask if we had visited Russia?   What did he know then?'...

The direct question seems indicated. There are alerts when sufficient information becomes available.

Whatever, he's clearly a good practitioner, and perceived your wife's rapid deterioration for the life threatening event it was.

... What I do not understand is,  'Why did the Hospital Doctor ask if we had visited Russia?   What did he know then?'

Sorry if I'm also not understanding something here, but surely you asked him at the time? What was the eventual diagnosis?

Whatever, well done Mrs NorthBrit for getting to where she is now.

Sorry if I'm also not understanding something here, but surely you asked him at the time? What was the eventual diagnosis?

We never got an actual reason why they wanted to know if we had gone to Russia, but all the nursing staff were aware. once we said yes.  

Mrs NB was diagnosed with Septicemia, then Sepsis.

To be honest;  all I wanted was for her to recover and  have her home.

A harrowing experience for sure.

The essence of this question is;

Does the medical profession know something about an ‘illness’ brought back from Russia, an illness a GP is able to diagnose from the symptoms and knowledge of a recent trip to Russia, and yet one which is not then specifically disclosed to the patient?

Unless the entire staff of the NHS are keeping this a secret from the rest of us, then the answer is no.

However, in the light of recent events, it is understandable that it raises a concern.

I would be asking my doctor a very specific and direct question, ‘what was the link between the visit to Russia and the illness, why was it relevant to the diagnosis? And expecting a clear answer.

Edited by Arthur