Different headlight positions - Class 47 and 86 - why?

GordonC

The normal headlight position when it was fitted on Class 47s always looked to be slightly offset towards the drivers side, but looking at photos of Class 86s it always seemed to be centred.

Was there a reason for differing positions of where the headlights were located when they were fitted during the 1980s?

• RMweb Premium

IIRC there were standing orders as to placement of headlights for each class. I guess it was partly down to aim of the beam, and partly down to what was physically behind the unit. Looking at the 86s they are usually between the push/pull jumpers centrally, although 86260 is strangely offset to the secondman's side. I always thought they were pointed slightly left so as to aim towards any lineside signage.

Dave

IIRC there were standing orders as to placement of headlights for each class. I guess it was partly down to aim of the beam, and partly down to what was physically behind the unit. Looking at the 86s they are usually between the push/pull jumpers centrally, although 86260 is strangely offset to the secondman's side. I always thought they were pointed slightly left so as to aim towards any lineside signage.

Dave

Also so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers - they were actually concerned about such things in those days -

unlike the bl*st*d searchlights on the front of some of those modern things

• Like 1

Dave

Things like the curvature of the front end were taken into account in the position of headlights, as there was on the first types of headlight fixtures very limited adjustment on the fittings, unlike the later ones.

Al Taylor

On a related note, does anyone know why the headlight position on the class 31s varied between lower centre and offset to the right above the footstep? Was it perhaps simply different works carrying out the additions? Or a change that occurred over time?

On a related note, does anyone know why the headlight position on the class 31s varied between lower centre and offset to the right above the footstep? Was it perhaps simply different works carrying out the additions? Or a change that occurred over time?

The headlights on 31s first started to appear with the HGRs from Doncaster, this used the original style of headlamp mount that had very limited beam adjustment so was placed at the drivers side.When it was fitted on the former communicating door panel it was the later style of mount that had more adjustment (these mods were usually done at depot level).

Al Taylor.

Also so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers - they were actually concerned about such things in those days -

unlike the bl*st*d searchlights on the front of some of those modern things

You can include the retina burning LED signals on that list as well.

A related class 31 headlight question. I'm aiming for a 80s layout, and the peds are required. What dates do these headlights start from? Looking at photos, there is a few rail freight machines with the offset headlight, but very few, if any, red stripe rail freight fitted ones. And when did the centre mounted headlight start being fitted? Looking at the photos, the 31/4 didn't appear to be fitted until the late 80s? And we're any non HGR machines fitted with them?

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

There's a similar thread to this that I can't find now, on class 86 headlight positions.

Prior to the universal introduction of the sealed beam units that we all know & love, several class 86's had one mounted offset to the drivers side, next to the tail light.
Which ones were they?

I can think of at least:-

86010/016/027/030/038
86101/103

(For the sake of clarity, I have listed 86/3's & 4's using their 86/0 numbers, as I believe they all carried the headlights before conversion. I think all the offset headlights were removed prior to conversion to 86/4.)

Can anyone confirm, and/or add to the list?

cheers N

Below, photo of 86038 at Euston, the headlight is just visible.

86038_Euston_28091985

86316 passing through Milton Keynes.

86316_MKC_13021986

86101 stabled at Euston.

86101_Euston_01041986

Edited by rodent279