Layouts inspired by literature

Martync

• 1 month later...

All a bit southern so far. One could always choose Coketown for a location set in the industrial Victorian north. Just the facts..... 

I'm currently building an N gauge modern layout called Coketown. I live in Preston and when it came to choosing a name for the layout I thought Coketown was a great name because some would realise the literary significance but a few might also jump to the wrong conclusion and think there was some drugs based reference involved!

The station on the layout is about the same size as Preston station but laid out in a different shape. This is a Preston that has evolved quite differently and at some point the station has been knocked down and a modern building put in its place! The background of the town will probably have some recognisable Preston buildings but the main thought was simply to make a Lancashire mill town - light stone and red brick - that can have West Coast Main Line traffic along with some of the more local Pennine trains.

Aiming at its first outing at Preston show next March 2019.

Some photos in the link below. Wondering whether I should be doing a layout thread for it....

• Like 1