Paper mache

Guest ShildonShunter

Guest ShildonShunter

Can I use a mixture of PVA glue and water to make paper macheto form hillsides.:)

Edited by ShildonShunter

Can I use a mixture of PVA glue and water to make paper machete to form hillsides.:)

YES. I have made landscapes and theatrical props this way. Use the cheaper stuff from a builders merchant. Plenty of water and a drop of detergent. One method is to put the PVA mix into a litter tray or similar, and immerse strips of newspaper. Build up two or three layers and leave to dry. This may take a day or three depending on temperature. Repeat twice. Result is as strong as fibreglass and probably lighter. Carpet felt can be applied in the same way and is now probably bullet proof.

It is best laid over a woven frame of cornflake box cardboard.

It is good messy fun that can be shared with children.

FLOOR PROTECTION ESSENTIAL.

Back in the 1960s, Blue Peter did at least one piece on making papier-mache. I duly made a trial hill on my model railway using it, not realising that a damp shed in South-West Wales was probably not the ideal environment for it. Within a few days, the layout was a mycologist's dream..

Hi Kevin,

I am still a fan of papier mache and just about to apply a layer using PVA mix to a mesh of cardboard strips on some corregated card supports. I have used this method for years and found that it has lasted well on models I have produced for display purposes. I know that quite a lot of modellers are using a dense expanded foam similar to roof insulation these days, but I do wonder about any toxic fumes and flammability? Good luck with your landscaping!

Marlyn

I used formers made of slices of foamboard to give the basic skeleton of the scenery. These were glued to the baseboard using copydex. Over this I then glued a lattice of thin card strips, again using copydex. Then I applied 2-3 layers of newspaper scraps painted on with a mix of PVA and water. It produced a nice light-weight hillside that seems to have stood the test of time well enough. Here is a photo of the finished result. I might have some shots of the work-in-progress somewhere.

post-887-0-89132300-1354281851_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My hillside/tunnel was constructed using 15mmx15mm PSE frame, with a lattice of cereal box strips, covered with blue paper towel covered with PVA. I applied the PVA to the strips of card, stuck the paper over the layer, added more glue,  then another layer of paper and repeated up to around 4 layers. When it dried (3 days in a warmish room) I then mixed PVA with DIY filler, brown paint and covered the surface before treating with flocks/static grass.

I have also used polystyrene sheets from packaging and high density insulation foam in places where necessary.

Here are a few pics:

• RMweb Gold

My hillside/tunnel was constructed using 15mmx15mm PSE frame, with a lattice of cereal box strips, covered with blue paper towel covered with PVA. I applied the PVA to the strips of card, stuck the paper over the layer, added more glue,  then another layer of paper and repeated up to around 4 layers. When it dried (3 days in a warmish room) I then added plaster bandage (mod-roc) and then a layer of mixed PVA with DIY filler, coloured with brown paint and covered the surface before treating with flocks/static grass.

I have also used polystyrene sheets from packaging and high density insulation foam in places where necessary.

Here are a few pics:

post-21193-0-72930100-1522072142.jpg

post-21193-0-46989400-1522072308.jpg

post-21193-0-33065700-1522072363_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I should also add, the cheaper the cereal, the thinner the cardboard. Thickest usable cardboard came from Bakers dog food cartons, and thinnest came from Tesco's own brand rice snaps (poor man's rice crispies). Each has their merits. Used the thick stuff for the main structural strips, the weaved the thinner stuff through them. Started to use No More Nails to fix it down to the frame, but then became a fan of the hot glue gun (burnt fingers and stringy stuff everywhere but more instant than anything else). In places I just used plaster bandage over the lattice but if saving money is important, anything paper wise with PVA would work (blue paper towels, roll of kim-wipe etc). I found cheap PVA glue in 1litre bottles from Tesco's for 99p which worked well. 

Back in the 1960s, Blue Peter did at least one piece on making papier-mache. I duly made a trial hill on my model railway using it, not realising that a damp shed in South-West Wales was probably not the ideal environment for it. Within a few days, the layout was a mycologist's dream..

But, did you use PVA?

This technique combines well with open top baseboards. Spend your money on best birch plywood and source every thing else from the recycling bin.

Can vouch for the hot glue gun. Pegs or large crocodile clips come in handy. Evosticks expanding wood glue is almost instant, but at 10 quid a tube you wouldn't buy it in specially. And, keep it away from children.

But, did you use PVA?

Thinking back, we had a similar experience in primary school. The culprit was the flour based mix.

Then we discovered Polycells new ready to use wallpaper paste, which turned out to have toxic antifungal ingredients.

Schools did have bespoke pastes and glue but these were too expensive for large scale projects.

If paper mache was invented today it would be called an advanced composite and everyone would be raving about it. apparently you can get a gloss ceramic finish by blending a suitable white paper and binding agent, then stick it in a mould etc

Not definitely sure, but were Trabant cars made this way.