47550 'University of Dundee' - bufferbeam question

forest2807

This loco has what seems to be a strip of metal on the bufferbeam, fitted horizontally directly above the coupling hook, whereas classmates have two separate pieces of what I assume are strengthening or reinforcing pieces. I won't post a link to photos on Flickr that aren't mine but have a look if this is of interest. The loco before 47550/D1731 in the production line, 47138/47607/D1730 also has this feature so I assume it was done to a particular run of locos when built. Anyone know why they are different and how many were built this way?

From what I can see on the picture of 47550 it covers where the eth cables go from their respective plug sockets underneath the buffer beam. If you look on Flickr at pictures of 47843 their is a good picture of where two cables dissappear underneath the cab. I would imagine that the

I’m not sure about draught-proofing. They seem to have been fitted from new judging by photos from the ‘60s. Usually such measures are taken after months/years of complaining by train crews. And why weren’t all locos fitted with it? Surely they would all have the same problems with draughts if indeed this is the reason?

post-7084-0-00181700-1522102692_thumb.jpg

Here we go. This photo was taken by S.Owens (on hiveminer.com). The thing I'm referring to is the wedge shaped piece above the coupling hook. Bachmann have modelled it on their version of 47035, so that will be my donor to produce something like the above, c.1978. Other locos have two separate smaller wedge shaped pieces with a gap in between directly above the coupling.

• 1 month later...

The two different types of metal stipes, denote which works built the loco. The single strip as mentioned in the original post denotes a Brush built loco, two separate strips denotes a Crewe built loco. Of course there has to be an exception to this rule, and this is that 47401-20 have two stripes, despite being built by Brush.

Paul J.

Hi,

It appears to have been added at overhaul at Crewe Works in 1981.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3776/11488584393_ed3dc68278_o_d.jpg

The bigger issue I find with class 47 modelling is the different orientation of tail lights between Crewe and Brush built examples, that is entirely missed.

Thanks, I have seen this photo and I came to the same conclusion at first, but then I realised that the metal strip/reinforcement bar/whatever it is was present in 1978 as in the photo at Aviemore!