DCCing Hornby Thomas models

the fuzzler

I've asked about chipping Thomas before (he uses the same chassis as the 08 but with blue wheels I believe), but now want to chip Toby the Tram engine and two 0-4-0s - Bill and Ben.

Toby and the 040s seem to share a similar mechanism with a simple motor driving via a worm. in both cases teh motor seems to have two distinct terminals, to which I propose to solder a cheapo dcc chip.

Now, it looks too easy ! Are there any other fancy feeds on these via a hidden connections ? Its been a while since I got the multimeter out and I can't find it.

Anyone chipped these models ? I'd like to get and chip a Percy too at a later date.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I've not seen inside one of these before but if they are the cheap chassis with the motor they use to use in the slot cars you need to make sure that motor terminals don't touch the pick ups down the side of the motor.

I may have the wrong chassis pictured in my mind.

Any chance of posting a pic so I can see what chassis it is.

Cheers

Simon

Guest 838rapid

Hi Fuzzler.

Have chipped a few of these.

Remove the motor from the chassis on the little 040 locos.

Slide a reasonable length of heat shrink over the contacts,enough to prevent it touching the motor.

Solder the chip wires to the contacts,move the heat shrink into position.

Pop the motor back into postioin,solder the other wires from the chip into place.

Should be job sorted.

I have found on locos like "smokey joe" that you just need to turn the motor over and that isolates itfrom the contacts.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fuzzler.

Have chipped a few of these.

Remove the motor from the chassis on the little 040 locos.

Slide a reasonable length of heat shrink over the contacts,enough to prevent it touching the motor.

Solder the chip wires to the contacts,move the heat shrink into position.

Pop the motor back into postioin,solder the other wires from the chip into place.

Should be job sorted.

I have found on locos like "smokey joe" that you just need to turn the motor over and that isolates itfrom the contacts.

Hope this helps

Fantastic......thanks very much indeed

Hi fuzzler, you said you can't find your multimeter. I have always found that the easiest way to find anything that you have misplaced is to buy a replacement. As sure as God made little apples, the original will come to light within a day or so!!

Good luck with the chipping, I have done one little Hornby 0-4-0 and the Hornby guide showed that it needed the motor turned upside down to get the terminals clear of the contacts, so you may find that it makes the job easier that way.

Hi fuzzler, you said you can't find your multimeter. I have always found that the easiest way to find anything that you have misplaced is to buy a replacement. As sure as God made little apples, the original will come to light within a day or so!!

Good luck with the chipping, I have done one little Hornby 0-4-0 and the Hornby guide showed that it needed the motor turned upside down to get the terminals clear of the contacts, so you may find that it makes the job easier that way.

Ha Ha Ha ! Same happens at our house. Trouble is, wifey always insists on "tidying up", which means all stuff gets moved. I keep stuff out so I know where it is.....

I'm sure (when I had a quick look) that turning the motor upside down it would still touch the contacts on a metallic bit of the motor. I'll get the heatshrink out to make sure. At least its not a split chassis type thing.

By the way, Thomas looks a little different from what I expected. The motor has two distinct feeds - I'm sure I've seen decsriptions of something different. The Thomas I have has a body that pulls off when a clip is "eased" with a screwdriver. I've seen instructions mentioning unscrewing the body....

Archived