Longest Station Platforms in Britain

Hello All,

I've been asked to check some of the labelling for an upcoming museum exhibition. Looked on the internet but I seem to find different answers. My two questions are:

1. What are the currently three longest station platforms in Britain?

2. Historically, which used to be the three longest?

Any help would be appreciated. Platform lengths would be a bonus.

Thanks.

Can I guess...? Some of the platforms at Edinburgh Waverley are pretty long, although I believe Gloucester has the longest continual face, although each end is operated as different platforms.

2- Manchester Exchange platform 3 extended into Victoria station, and was something over 2100 feet.

Can I guess...? Some of the platforms at Edinburgh Waverley are pretty long, although I believe Gloucester has the longest continual face, although each end is operated as different platforms.

2- Manchester Exchange platform 3 extended into Victoria station, and was something over 2100 feet.

The average length of the ten platforms at Eurotunnel's Cheriton terminal is somewhere above 750 metres, which is about 2400 feet.

Colchester used to be recorded as the longest, but that was a bit of a cheat...

Platform 4 easily holds a 12-car unit. Up trains depart from here & turn onto the main line where they travel along the entire length of platform 3, which was a touch more than 10 Mark 2's, a Mark 1 & a class 86 long (I moved away before the Mark 3's arrived :D).

Pontypridd had the longest, and highest platform in Wales !

Highest because it was higher than a nearby pub called the 'Full Moon' (or similar).

Knowing the platform was the longest in Wales won me free 1st Class tickets (for four) anywhere in the UK (in a local radio competition), I opted for returns from Waun-gron Parc to Kyle of Lochalsh !

Brian R

When does a platform become a loading dock?

It's a station IMHO but they are not platforms.

Bernard

It says they're platforms on all the operating documents, and it's how we refer to them- if the definition of a platform is one where passengers board on foot, then they also pass under that criterion:-

HGV drivers walk from the bus to the train at the beginning of their journey.

Eurostar passengers used them when their trains were towed to the Cheriton terminal in Decemmber.

Bournemouth has one of the longest platforms in the country, but its like Gloucester and I believe Cambridge where its split and operated as 2.

Cheers

Scott

Yup. icon_thumbsup2.gif

One of the longest, single faced platforms in the country. At the time, second only to Manchester Victoria-Exchange, IIRC.

Extended in 1936 * 1928 (very handy for troop trains during WW2) to provide room for two 12 coach trains, separated by a scissors crossover mid way, and thus, as you say, dividing it into separately numbered platforms.

I've got a scaled plan of it somewhere. I'll have to dig it out, along with a tape measure.

Regards.

*Edit..OOoops It was the engine shed which was extended in 1936.

• RMweb Premium

I don't believe that operational issues affect the validity of the platform length for record purposes but to my mind it must be a continuous platform face rather than the situation at Colchester (North) where there is an indent creating two quite separate platforms. One track even ends in a buffer stop though can be run through via a crossover to access the other end of the platform.

Manchester Victoria - Exchange was the longest there has ever been. Gloucester is the longest in current use for domestic services. Cheriton has the longest operational railway platforms in the UK but they are only used by Le Shuttle and are not available for any domestic or other international services; that does not deny the record however.

Manchester Exchange platform 3 extended into Victoria station, and was something over 2100 feet.

I can vouch for that having run the full length of it many years ago to take a photograph of a rapidly approaching Black 5. I got there in time but with barely enough breath left to hold the camera steady!

Archived