Agecroft Power Station 1970s.

post-17261-0-66057700-1523273765_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-38262600-1523273584_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-13880200-1523273509_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-75099700-1523273440_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-32317700-1523273346_thumb.jpg

Hulme Grammar Model Railway Society trip to Agecroft Power Station in the early 1970s.

Look at those young men!!!

One is Coachbogie of this forum. The man with the camera is his Dad, Brian, the Jameson Master!!

The Bedford van is the Wiltshires. Brain was a superb Bass player, both upright and electric, the Bedford was perfect for carrying band gear in.

Note also, not a high vis or flourescent in sight!!!

By now, most of the coal came by the overhead conveyer to the Power Station from the adjacent Agecroft colliery.

Coal came, in the Winter and Spring in trains from BR. This was then offloaded via the tippler to the coal heaps.

Three RSH 0-4-0 saddle tanks were delivered from new and spent their lives there.

One was steamed for duties.

In my other posts, I have stuck shots of the engine shed.

Once again, these are photos of photos and I apologise for the quality.

I'm still perfecting my technique and will post more stuff later.

Enjoy,

Chris.

• Like 9

So which one is you? Do you even admit to ever looking like that?

I know I don't...............

But it was so long ago that I just can't remember.

Whatever, interesting photos of an aspect of the power industry that has completely disappeared.  I wish I had taken the opportunity of getting round the last knockings of industrial steam when I had the chance but my interests were elsewhere in those days (including a wife and two very small children that devoured a lot of the money I could have spent on petrol to get me to the right places).

So which one is you? Do you even admit to ever looking like that?

I know I don't...............

But it was so long ago that I just can't remember.

Whatever, interesting photos of an aspect of the power industry that has completely disappeared.  I wish I had taken the opportunity of getting round the last knockings of industrial steam when I had the chance but my interests were elsewhere in those days (including a wife and two very small children that devoured a lot of the money I could have spent on petrol to get me to the right places).

I'm the photographer!!!

I was very lucky in having people to drive me to locations or being able to get there by bicycle or public transport.

Manchester had two easily accessible steam locations.

Agecroft and Corn Products on Trafford Park.

The latter as well as the Trafford Park estate railways became 'A Thing' with me 1975- 1976'

The Barclay was easily photo'ed at all times of the year.

The evening pick up train on the 'Park became a thing of legend to Mike Wiltshire and myself..

I am going to get some 'Park shots done in due course.

Yes, I do have a Corn Products Barclay on order from Hattohs!!

Ah, right.  When you said 'the man with the camera' I thought you meant the camera taking the photo.

Silly me.

My trips around Trafford Park were in the 80's and I remember seeing a very long train of mineral wagons coming out of the old steelworks (?) site once.  Not much rail activity though but the remaining trackwork was very interesting.

Ah, right.  When you said 'the man with the camera' I thought you meant the camera taking the photo.

Silly me.

My trips around Trafford Park were in the 80's and I remember seeing a very long train of mineral wagons coming out of the old steelworks (?) site once.  Not much rail activity though but the remaining trackwork was very interesting.

That was the 'Pick Up ' train.

When I did it, we had Corn Products, what was left of Taylors Steel, the infamous Turners Asbestos Cement and the odd couple of chemical tanks from a siding near to Taylors.

You are right, even then, the trackwork was quite compicated.

Chris.