Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Can these Cambrian SECR twin bolster wagons be knocked up to look like a pair of GWR Mites ?

• RMweb Gold

Off the top of my head, I doubt they had many similarities other than what they were built to do.

Cambrian picked out SECR prototypes that allow their kits to use a common underframe, which has an unusual wheelbase of 9' 6", which the GWR didn't go in for; they have lift-link brakes, which the GWR also didn't go in for, and they used a different type of axle-box. 

I've no idea if the body dimensions match. You might be lucky, but even if they do, that's about the only part of the SECR kit you'll use. You are going to need a pair of GWR underframe kits whatever you do, so it's probably just as easy to scratch-build the bodies from plastic sheet.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

As Dunsignalling, says, at the very least the wheelbases are totally dissimilar - the Mites being a mere seven feet.

If you model post-Grouping and want a pair of bolster wagons that can be run in Great Western livery, why not take a look at Dragon Models etched kits of the Cambrian (as in Railways, not Models) timber wagons?

• RMweb Premium

What sort of mites do you want? There's this early pair (1881) from Didcot - depending on how deep the channel beam of the solebar is on the Cambrian kit, it might be possible to start from there. Don't worry about the wheelbase; a bit of cut-and-shut will see to that. You'll want to fit appropriate axleboxes - grease or oil according to your period.