Kris

• RMweb Premium

There comes a time when we all want to see our trains running, and if like me you don't have room for the "main" layout to be up at all times, this can be a challenge. I've always had a small test track for running in locos and testing other stock, but it was just a simple oval of track glued on a board of 81cm x 60cm. Watching the trains go round and round on this was fine ... for a few minutes. 

In February this year, I finally took some time to look hard at this problem. Out came a paint scraper, up came the old track, out came some track that I've had sitting around for years, in went an order for a few more bits of track. 

After a few days work (spread over several weeks) I have now achieved a double track that can be used to run in stock (at least on the outer track) and somewhere that I can run some Thomas the Tank engine stock I have to amuse my sons. 

The layout (it's now more than just a test track) is starting to come together and look usable. If I can keep the progress on this up, it might just be offered for exhibition's locally.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The track plan is quite basic, a couple of ovals of Peco set track 1st and 2nd radius and a few sidings leading from this. This track work comes with limitations, I know that some of the locos won't like the inner track or the points, but the outer track is fine for running in / testing purposes, particularly as the points are all trailing. Being that the points are all "dead frog" shorter wheelbase locos may not like to travel slowly, but again for the given space this is a compromise I have accepted (cost was also a factor as I had lots of set track points to hand). 

Over the past 18 odd months I have purchased a couple of sets of the Tomix moving buses. I wanted to incorporate this into the layout as my sons appear to be keener on road vehicles than trains. The buses can cope with surprisingly steep gradients and sharp curves, so fit the layout well. It does mean that you might see a bus on a bridge, but when you look back the bus will have moved on. 

post-163-0-97808400-1523814716_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This evening, whilst the other half was out, I built a goods shed for this layout. It's only a Peco line side model, for pure speed. (I will also be using the Peco line side models for the station, engine shed and signal box as it will allow for a consistent appearance). This model has some serious mould marks in places, but nothing that a bit of work can remove.