New fleet for VIA Rail Canada?

dibber25

I'm afraid I don't see any real future for VIA Rail. It's one of those "If it didn't exist, would you invent it?" questions and the answer has to be that you wouldn't. It's operating methods - turning complete trains at the end of each journey, and having umpteen staff on a four coach train, headed by a 3,000hp diesel are not sustainable and have not been so for years. The arrangement of one-platform stations where trains crossover to reach a platform or switch back and forth across potentially oncoming traffic to pass obstructions must either restrict speed and the number of available paths, or be risky. Don't get me wrong - I love Via. I think its a great railway operation and the staff are brilliant - it's like British Railways was in the 1950s........and that's the problem. Even with their Beeching-style cuts of the 1990s, VIA hasn't been transformed. It doesn't have the support of the people - they don't use it and the more aggressive of them see it as wasting their tax money subsidising tourists to ride the Canadian. If a change of government pulls the plug on investment in new rolling stock, then VIA is doomed anyway as its existing equipment is past its use-by date and is obviously being stretched to the limit. Look at the pictures on Canadian Railway Observations over recent months and the VIA trains are getting progressively more and more untidy, incongruous mixtures of ancient Budd cars and LRC cars and anything with seats in that will turn a wheel. Only commuter operations in major conurbations seem to be on the up in Canada. Transcontinental rail travel is on its last gasp, with schedules now two full days longer than they were in 1955 when the present rolling stock was introduced! (CJL)

While I won't say the future is great, I also don't think it is all doom and gloom.

The new equipment is bi-directional, so the turning complete trains on the corridor is ending.

One platform stations are in essence a compromise - the capital funding isn't there (and presumably the passenger numbers) to justify building a tunnel or bridge with the associated costs of elevators and we (rightly) no longer allow the passengers to cross the running lines.  It's not ideal, but I don't think its as big a problem as it would be on the more heavily used European rail networks.

As for support, it may surprise us.  2 weeks ago VIA released their 3rd quarter results - ridership up 6.2% (8.3% in the corridor), revenue up 5.1% (11.0% in corridor) and it was the 11th consecutive increase in ridership and 18th consecutive revenue growth.  So they appear to be doing something right. https://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/media-room/latest-news/50158/30-november-2018-via-rail-reports-pax-growth-11th

As for the long distance trains, once you acknowledge what they are and aren't (are: land cruise / aren't: method to get from A to B) the lengthened schedules are less an issue than having a schedule that the flights can be arranged around.  A fair amount is being spent on upgrading coaches and diners on the Canadian so it's not be neglected given the issues in even considering replacement equipment.

The Ocean on the other hand I suspect won't be around much longer.  No indications of any new equipment means I suspect a decision has been made and just not made public.

All I have to say, is I hate the doom and gloom of the previous posters, but as I type this on 646 heading to my parents for Christmas, I can’t say you’re wrong as hitting crossings at like speed in an LRC club sent everyone’s wine spilling across Business Class. Not the best way to win over anyone doing this for the first time!

None the less, I hold out hope that we can find our way to improve and maintain our service.

Stephen

All I have to say, is I hate the doom and gloom of the previous posters, but as I type this on 646 heading to my parents for Christmas, I can’t say you’re wrong as hitting crossings at like speed in an LRC club sent everyone’s wine spilling across Business Class. Not the best way to win over anyone doing this for the first time!

None the less, I hold out hope that we can find our way to improve and maintain our service.

Stephen

Stephen,

I would be so happy if things did work out for the best for VIA and the government has just stated that more rail travel and electric cars will be needed for us to meet our Paris commitments. The thing is we've had promises before and we are still waiting for some of them to be fulfilled. Personally I use Via or GO whenever possible and have done the Canadian twice in both directions and the Ocean out and back once so I've put my money where my mouth is. The trick will be to get our fellow countrymen and women to be more like us!

Cheers,

David

• Like 2

Stephen,

I would be so happy if things did work out for the best for VIA and the government has just stated that more rail travel and electric cars will be needed for us to meet our Paris commitments. The thing is we've had promises before and we are still waiting for some of them to be fulfilled. Personally I use Via or GO whenever possible and have done the Canadian twice in both directions and the Ocean out and back once so I've put my money where my mouth is. The trick will be to get our fellow countrymen and women to be more like us!

Cheers,

David

Yes, you're absolutely right about public opinion but VIA Rail also needs friends in Government. At present, all I see is a rather grudging outlay to replace stock which, if it isn't replaced very soon, will become unusable. What's needed more than anything else is legislation which puts the passenger first. If necessary this could be done, as it is in the UK, by making the company which caused the delay pay compensation. VIA would earn enough in payments from CN to cover the cost of its new trains without the Government having to pay up! All the time that passengers are treated second best to containers full of goods (most of which are simply crossing Canada en route to some other country) passengers will stay in their cars. As a tourist, I've done most of the VIA journeys - The Canadian both ways, westbound twice including once going right across from Halifax using the Ocean and the Montreal-Toronto. I did the E&N several times between 1976 and 2011 and this summer I did 184/5 Sudbury-White River and back. Now that Churchill is accessible again, I might look at doing that next summer, or perhaps the Skeena, though access to Jasper is difficult now that the Canadian is so infrequent and unreliable. (CJL)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...