New fleet for VIA Rail Canada?

dibber25

VIA has the RFQ document on their website.

Highlights

• 32 trains
  • push/pull operation
  • Tier 4 complaint
  • must meet all TC and FRA standards
  • 125mph capability
  • initial trains will be diesel only
  • must be capable of being converted to bi-mode
  • proven operation in similar operating conditions or redesign is minimal
  • first train must go through 6 months of winter testing prior to any train being accepted for service.  This means at least one train needs to be on VIA property by October 2021
  • first train to enter proper service in 2Q 2022, all trains by 2024
  • maximum of 4 applicants to move to the next phase
  • submission can be a joint bid from multiple companies

http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/About_VIA/new-fleet/VIA%20Rail%20Corridor%20Fleet%20Renewal%20Project%20-%20Request%20for%20Qualifications%20(Issuance%20Version)%20(English).pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If you are talking about the shells that weren't converted to use by VIA I would guess somewhere in Thunder Bay given that Bombardier's plant in Thunder Bay did the work.

Note that when searching be aware of the date of the imagery as the unused shells were apparently scrapped last year.

Interesting to see other countries can manage to store stock in sidings that aren't overgrown with vegetation and are tidy

I was surprised to see the graffiti, since the other stock has been there a lot longer and was pretty clean when I last saw it. The TMC is a very large open yard and it would be pretty difficult to access it on foot without being seen. Also, there has been no regular working of 'Renn' stock into Toronto in recent times, as far as I know, so quite why they are there I'm not sure. The rest of the stock is mainly used on VIA 14/15 'The Ocean' Montreal-Halifax, with the seating-only cars used between Montreal and Ottawa. The cars are not well liked and they have not stood up well to the rigours of use in Canada. When the new stock eventually arrives the Renn stock will go, probably before the LRCs, unless they fall to pieces first. (CJL)

Reading online many riders prefer the Renaissance stock as it rides better than the Budd stainless equipment apparently, though no doubt VIA doesn't like it.

There is no replacement program for the Renaissance stock yet, only the replacement of the LRC equipment is funded and part of the current bidding process.  Thus unless VIA cancels the Ocean the Renaissance stock will outlast the LRC stuff.

Behind it are stored RDCs and the preserved equipment belonging to Rapido Trains. (CJL)

And the Toronto Railway Historical Association. Jason only likes to think he owns the LRC, but he just works on it for the larger group he's a part of.

Stephen

• 3 months later...

I wouldn’t count on anything happening anytime soon. We have a general election next year so nothing is safe. That said, Bombardier, the main opposition to Siemens, has bad form for getting things done on time -but- being based in Quebec could be key to votes. The opposition Conservatives would probably be quite happy to scrap Via should they get in but they won’t say this out loud until after the votes are cast.

Cheers,

David

As Amtrak has the Siemens Charger it would surely make sense for VIA Rail to have similar equipment as the international trains use Amtrak equipment working through, with VIA crews in Canada. Once the P42s go, presumably Chargers will start working through into Canada. (CJL)

I suspect some polling in Quebec may reveal some interesting thoughts, with Bombardier selling off all its commercial aviation business even the people of Quebec might be tired of Bombardier.  But even if the people of Quebec still support Bombardier the rest of the country doesn't, so it would be a wash politically.

As for the election, it is still 11 months away but more importantly it would be difficult at this point for the government to back out.  The money for the trains was promised in the spring budget and VIA held a formal bidding process.  Any cancellation at this point would be messy with multiple lawsuits to recover the costs of submitting bids, and that would likely all play out during the election.

And of course not buying new trains would also mean the end of the corridor as VIA has made it clear the existing equipment won't last much more than the time it takes to get new stuff built and into service.

The official word is that VIA will announce the winner next month and I would guess the contract would follow quite quickly.

As Amtrak has the Siemens Charger it would surely make sense for VIA Rail to have similar equipment as the international trains use Amtrak equipment working through, with VIA crews in Canada. Once the P42s go, presumably Chargers will start working through into Canada. (CJL)

Amtrak has no Chargers.

A bunch of US states have bought Chargers for use on state services that Amtrak operates on behalf of the states.

Rumours are that the states order for Chargers does have an option available for Amtrak to pick up units if Amtrak wants and can get the money, but so far Amtrak hasn't made any public decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

Some press images here - https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/via-rail-selects-siemens-canada-to-replace-its-quebec-windsor-corridor-fleet-702594641.html

[edit]

If the drawings end up being accurate there will be some unhappy people in the model world, either the manufacturer having to tool a 2nd / 3rd Charger (depending on if Brightline / Virign Trains USA justifies a tooling) or the modellers who won't get an accurate model because it is too many different low demand prototypes.

Edited by mdvle

Just a reminder for those waiting with bated breath for the new stock to appear, there will be a general election in Canada on or before October 21, 2019. Depending on who wins anything can happen. Take nothing for granted.

Cheers,

David

Many true word is spoken in jest. Bombardier’s on time performance leaves a great deal to be desired especially with the LRVs that were supposed to be for Toronto and KW. And then when the units were delivered problems with quality control were discovered that could have shortened the service life of the units. Hardly a glowing recommendation.

So, Lego or Siemens, hmmm, I’ll get back to you...

Cheers,

David

Edited by davknigh

As someone whose only experience of Canadian railways has been a coast to cost holiday tour with a Rocky Mountaineer tacked on,

I find it both sad and incredible that the Canadian Government don't appreciate what an asset they have under their noses and why

they don't invest in it and make use of it. Even the UK Government has more nous than that, and that really IS saying something.

OK, I understand that I know nowt about commuter or regular everyday services and their usage but even so...

Incidentally, I feel the same about the US Govt's attitude but that's another thread.

steve

As someone whose only experience of Canadian railways has been a coast to coast holiday tour with a Rocky Mountaineer tacked on,I find it both sad and incredible that the Canadian Government don't appreciate what an asset they have under their noses and why they don't invest in it and make use of it.

Genuine question - what do you think the government should/could do? I agree that no Canadian government, of either party, has really been committed to Via. However, even if there was the will to make more of it, the major problem would be that Via runs on tracks owned by the privately-owned freight railways, Canadian National and Canadian Pacific. Via are just another "customer" for services these railways supply (track access in this case) whose interests have to be prioritised.

The problem with VIA lies in the legislation that created it. It is subject to the whims of the freight lines and was designed to fail but in such a way that the government of the day could not be held responsible. Forty years later VIA is still with us albeit in a much reduced form. Government could, in theory, compel the freight lines to give passenger trains the right of way. It used to work when CN & CP ran their own passenger service but TBH I don’t see that happening. There is hope in the Quebec City- Windsor corridor where population density is high enough to support decent rail service but then the freight get in the way. The big problem is political will and stirring up support with people who would rather sit in their cars than ride a train.

Cheers,

David