GWR coach window ventilators

Does anyone know if there is an etch available commercially for the modified window ventilators applied to GWR coaches on updating? I'm thinking of the type applied to Centenary stock and to catering vehicles when the originals were replaced.

Thanks, Colin

A lot of the available sides from Comet are done in with the post-update ventilators, the Centenary stock in particular, as well as the H33 restaurant (Hornby Collett Restaurant). Hornby added ventilators with paint when they did the latest maroon Centenary stock.

I don't believe I've seen etches of just the windows (or just the ventilators, which would be almost impossible to use). The modifired coaches had all sorts of different sized windows, as well as different depths of ventilator, so it would be quite difficult to etch something generic.

Which coaches did you want to update?

Adrian

By strange fortune the bogies fitted to the Airfix/Hornby Centenary coaches (9' plate) are actually correct for the Super Saloons. For the Centenary coaches themselves, the 9' Pressed Steel type (like those used on the Mainline/Bachmann 1938 Colletts) would be appropriate.

Thanks everyone.

I purchased a few kits years ago - including two or three catering cars - and the main period I model is now in the 1950's. I was being lazy, really, as they're not exactly complex to alter, just a bit tedious if you have a few to do. I was just looking at one of the kits over the weekend and thought I'd ask as I didn't find anything on a quick web search - I had a vague notion I'd seen something marketed.

Colin

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if there is an etch available commercially for the modified window ventilators applied to GWR coaches on updating? I'm thinking of the type applied to Centenary stock and to catering vehicles when the originals were replaced.

Thanks, Colin

I'd be interested in this as well. Perhaps a simple project for a laser cutter company. In the meantime, I've applied (carefully) prepainted sellotape ventilators made from simple strips. They look OK (!) and have been in place for over 10 years.

Replica do Kitmaster-style flush glazing too - that might work and it's less brittle than the old 1960s stuff. I use microstrip pre-painted and stuck on with canopy zap glue on Airfix Centenaries. On a Hornby buffet I inset sections of Mainline C77 sides to change the windows (to ones of the wrong size!). However, it is in the last resort rake - the one with a Comet body looks a lot better!

Paul

Archived