Goathland in 00

Hi all. It's some years since I posted, so please be bear with me.
Due to a complete rewire of my gaff, I had to let my shelf railway go to a good home before it got trashed. Anyway I have started on a new project and plumped for a shelf railway incorporating a place I have always loved, namely Goathland on the NYMR.
I have got some examples from the internet of some quite staggeringly good layouts. I can't see a problem with the build but, what track is best? Code 100FS, Code 75FS or just bog standard Hornby or Setrack? Clueless especially as in some areas it looks a tad tight.
Any ideas kind experts?

Obviously code 100 has been industry standard for years, its readily available in a variety of configurations, robust and acceptable in appearance to many of us myself included.   The sharp radius points aren't really compatible with modern mechanisms so  I would rule out set track points though the curves are very useful for even kink free curves and the straights are  er, straight unlike flexi.  

Code 75 is the current standard, it looks finer than code 100, it is less robust , the range of points is less extensive, no set track like points as far as I know (thank god) and straights and curves are not available meaning more precision is needed with tracklaying and curves under 2ft radius are very difficult.

All the code 100/ code 75 track systems give excessive track centres the Set track 60mm plus is really ugly but the streamline 50mm is pretty good for small layouts. I now try to use narrower track spacing involving cutting point to fit as the narrow scale track spacing matters to fit. coming down to 45mm or less on straights looks a lot better but don't try it on sharp curves!

The bullhead is very new and really looks wrong to me, very few points available.

00sf etc is a good concept, many of us use variable track gauge unknowingly as flexi tends to go tight to gauge on curves just where you want the gauge to widen, so the narrowing at points makes sense.

Ballast is an issue, much model ballast is simply awful, Goathland 2017 is pretty much like the effect of code 100 underlay.

Don't forget Goathland is on a steep 1 in 49 gradient....

Shelf layout sounds good 

The choice is yours.  

post-21665-0-31289700-1525371892_thumb.jpg

post-21665-0-15343200-1525372000_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Compare the sleeper spacing of Peco code 75 and Peco Bullhead track.

Code 75 track has HO scale spacing whereas Bullhead sleepers use a spacing more appropriate to 4mm scale.

Many people think that Bullhead looks better than Code 75 or Code 100 and we know that Peco are going to release more Bullhead turnouts, crossings and slips soon (hopefully).

The Bullhead points have metal guide rails, which look more realistic than the plastic ones on other Peco turnouts. The Bullhead point blades flex more like real turnouts rather than having hinges. They are also electrically designed with DCC in mind (although both Electofrog and Insulfrog points work fine with DCC if wired correctly).

It's unlikely that small radius Bullhead points will ever be available, though, which might be important if you are tight on space.

Don't forget Goathland is on a steep 1 in 49 gradient....

It actually eases dramatically at the start of the Pickering-bound platform, but yes, it's 1 in 49 coming up from Grosmont up to that point, and is very obvious when looking at the real thing :)

As a new build, why choose anything but the better OO track options now available in code 75 bullhead rail for at least the scenic area of this model subject? The contingent conditions naturally that  there is sufficient space in which to fit the required track formation with the degree of realism required by the builder, and that the increased cost is acceptable. (The long established cheaper options for off scene track, such as solder assembly using salvaged rail with 1 in 6 sleeper spacing which was the main expedient in my youth, a proven method of containing expense.)

Thanks to all for very formative suggestions.  Reading into and researching, I would agree that Bullhead is a preferred option but there are still few options with regard to turn outs etc.  Weighing up all the options, I think Peco Code 100 SL is the build option for me.  Small, medium and large options for turn outs are excellent and, as I believe where the camping coaches are, a small or large Y point would be in order.  Flexitrack seems versatile enough for cutting and fitting and something I can live with providing I keep it straight.  It is in the early stages at present and I don't want to go off half cock as I did with my first layout and absolutely ruined it because of putting too much detail in and expecting code 100 Setrack to do the trick.  It sure as h*** didn't.  It necessitated scrapping and a complete rebuild.  Very expensive.  I forgot about the 1 in 49 but as this is not an exhibition build and is purely for my and family entertainment, I think a little liscence is in order.  I'm too old to do an exhibition standard one although I would love to.  I may never finish it!

• Like 1

Taking a trip to Goathland is a good start, We seem to go most years.  The road to the right and behind me as I took the picture, drops at around 1 in 6 from the road bridge turns 90 degrees and climbs at 25% or 1 in 4 to the moors. Take a half decent car and make sure your brakes work, you would be amazed how bad the brakes on many cars are especially Chelsea tractors and into Grosmont is 1 in 3.  (I had 40 years in the motor trade). The station is in a deep valley which drops down and opens up towards Grosmont.  The river dominates the topography hemming the station in against the valley side. The siding with its own bridge is unusual (in models)  as is the water column at the end of a bridge half way along a point.   The catch point half way along a point blade is unusual in models (should be do able with a Peco 3ft radius and a hacksaw.)

Trains coast away from the platforms Northbound and work hard Southbound, typically only shutting off half way along the platforms.  I watched Sir Nigel Gresley start on a couple of occasions and it was very impressive the way it glided away uphill without a hint of a slip and almost no exhaust but it seemed to take for ever to get going.  The 4 MT was much faster and more vocal.   I have some more 2017 pics  if they are of use

Edited by DavidCBroad

Thanks David that is very kind of you.  I have taken loads of pictures over the years at Goathland but never of the area itself.  We have a caravan in Thirsk so a planned visit I think to take umpteen shots.  To actually be there and observe in depth goes a long way to helping with the model build at the time keeping things in minds eye and in perspective.  Again many thanks.

• RMweb Premium

A quick search on eBay brings up many of the Goathland buildings that Hornby released a few years ago, marketed as NER Station. A good way to get a good representation of the station.

You are absolutely right there are.  Funnily enough, I was going to mention them and as you bring the subject up here are a few of my own thoughts.  I went for the Goathland Station set and realised it is a recycled previous issue namely an NER station.  Anyway I have got hold of the Bachmann Scenecraft Station which is way more realistic.  OK it is missing the chimney from the annex building, but hey.  The only thing I have missing from the whole shebang is the Open Coal Distbribution which runs into the Open Coal shed/Lime Drops.  I even managed to get hold of the NER station general office.  Perfect as the Gents and bottom office albeit it is missing the end annex door.  I was surprised as to how well put together the Hornby models are but the downside is because of their obscelecence the horrendous price of them.  Still, if I want a bit of realism, so be it.  I'm hunting now for the one missing item.

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann Scenecraft version was commissioned by The Model Centre. It depends which version of Hornby’s station you go for. They released a version back in 2006 that wasn’t very accurate, and a much more accurate version in 2012. The accurate versions are in the R9739-R9747 code range. The R9739 station building correctly has the lower level steps leading down from the rear doors, something neither the earlier version by Hornby, nor the Bachmann version, had correctly modelled. I would very much recommend the newer Hornby version if you are after an accurate rendition.

Edited by Hilux5972

I thought I had done my research thoroughly with regard to buildings, wrong!  Now I have got hold of the Hornby 9xxx series station and what a difference.  Bachmann's Station is lovely and I have no intention of ditching it.  License comes to mind again and I think it will be at the end of the layout.  As Hilux5972 says, the latest Hornby model is the most true to likeness.  Annex Chimney as well! The rear is far superior to Bachmann's, and extremely realistic.  Someone did their homework there.

• RMweb Premium

I thought I had done my research thoroughly with regard to buildings, wrong! Now I have got hold of the Hornby 9xxx series station and what a difference. Bachmann's Station is lovely and I have no intention of ditching it. License comes to mind again and I think it will be at the end of the layout. As Hilux5972 says, the latest Hornby model is the most true to likeness. Annex Chimney as well! The rear is far superior to Bachmann's, and extremely realistic. Someone did their homework there.

I’ve built a somewhat realistic model of Goathland using the new range of buildings, currently named Hogsmeade, for my Harry Potter inspired layout. I’ve removed the Camping Coach sidings and the siding leading up to the Coal drop so it’s basically a double track through station now. I’ll upload some pictures later.

I have seen a little of your work on a trawl of the internet for images of Goathland and was impressed.  I certainly would be grateful for a few more pics.  Cheers for that.

• RMweb Premium

Here’s a few images for you. If you want specific close ups of any areas let me know. As you can see, I’ve removed all the extra tracks and it is simply a double track through station, hidden in a valley from prying “Muggle” eyes as would be expected.

post-7482-0-06110700-1526193662_thumb.jpeg

post-7482-0-51352200-1526193682_thumb.jpeg

post-7482-0-31646900-1526193696_thumb.jpeg

post-7482-0-37712100-1526193711_thumb.jpeg

post-7482-0-44989100-1526193728_thumb.jpeg

post-7482-0-41295900-1526193750_thumb.jpeg

post-7482-0-68251000-1526193771_thumb.jpeg

post-7482-0-67782000-1526193785_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972

Here’s a few images for you. If you want specific close ups of any areas let me know. As you can see, I’ve removed all the extra tracks and it is simply a double track through station, hidden in a valley from prying “Muggle” eyes as would be expected.

Many thanks for your help.