Dcc / dc sound

I have been modelling for many years and made many loco’s from kits and conversions. I have recently completed a conversion of a Hornby 700 into an ex nbr j37.

I am new to dcc and have recently invested in a half decent dcc system (although ive yet to actually use it).

I am wondering about putting a generic lner 2 cylinder sound chip in the conversion. And have heard some good sounds on youtube.

The main question here is there a sound chip out there that will also work with limited function on dc (in the manner of the Bachmann sound loco’s)

The resson for this is that my local club does not have any dcc layouts as yet and it would be nice to have a loco with sound running now and again. I did think about buying a Bachmann sound fitted j11 which i have seen and heard running on dc and dcc. But this would be an expensive exercise when all i would be doing is taking the sound chip etc out of the loco.

So is there a chip out there that will work with limited function on dc?

Gary

Hi Gary,

Anything is theoretically possible and loads of decoders still have a DC mode. IMHO if you run a sound decoder on DC you will always be disappointed by the result.

Some people may regard the following as facetious or a bit extreme, but I have learnt by experience.

My simple rules for avoiding foul ups of many sorts (mainly blue smoke, an acrid smell, and an out of pocket experience) are:

1. Do not mix DC and DCC in any form.

2. When tempted run DC on DCC or DCC on DC, remember Rule 1.

3. When tempted to fit some sort of clever switch to allow you to move from DC to DCC or vice-versa, remember Rule 1.

4. You ignore Rule 1 at your own risk.

John K

Edited by John K

The Hornby TTS decoders don't work on dc. That is, they don't produce sound on dc.

They can be made to run on DC with sound if you set the CV's as in the manual that comes with the decoder, if I remember correctly you need to set CV29 to 14 and another in the 200's can't remember which! from 0 to 1.

Regards, mikeg

smokebox, on 05 May 2018 - 18:39, said:

The Hornby TTS decoders don't work on dc. That is, they don't produce sound on dc.

To which  mikeg    replied....

"They can be made to run on DC with sound if you set the CV's as in the manual that comes with the decoder, if I remember correctly you need to set CV29 to 14 and another in the 200's can't remember which! from 0 to 1."

PhilS: I think you will find you are confusing TTS sound locos with Loksound fitted locos ( and CV 29 bit 2 set to 4 or not ).  ....As far as I see from both tts and loksound manuals..and experience..... TTS is silent on DC always.

Loksound decoders have had sound on analogue since about v2 or 3. 

Yes, LokSound decoders it is a matter of setting CV13 to a value of 1. Many of the earlier Bachmann sound locos had the sound on DC turned off (CV13 = 0) but it was a very simple tweak to set it - I did this for a few friends who were on DC only but wanted the sounds.