Shapeways discontinue several materials

Just had a mini heart palpitation when uploading a model. Where is my lovely WSF and FUD gone???

Ohhh...they renamed it.

FOOLS!

Now I have to re-write over 200 sets of instructions to make sense of it, they 'monked' with the controls again.

Sorry, I just can't be arsed right now.

More honest than a bag of chips me.

Edited by Knuckles

I now refer to them as the basic stuff and the finer stuff. Most have not got a clue what I am talking about, so I have to explain. Better than tose whojust follow what othes are saying so when you say WSF they justbturn away. This way thee is a better chance of being able to explain.

I now stress the concept of 'an aid to scratchbuilding'.

Chairs look good. I wouldn't personally want to risk them in FUD though due to its more brittle nature. WSF surely would be more forgiving? The extra texture on WSF possibly would have a more 'cast' look to them I would think.

That said you printed these not me so I'm talking out of my head purely on theory, you have the physical experience here.

They do look good.

Did you paint those or are those indeed the real colour?

If so it seems the material may indeed be different???

FUD is usually translucent green from the packet.

Edited by Knuckles

Chairs look good. I wouldn't personally want to risk them in FUD though due to its more brittle nature. WSF surely would be more forgiving? The extra texture on WSF possibly would have a more 'cast' look to them I would think.

That said you printed these not me so I'm talking out of my head purely on theory, you have the physical experience here.

They do look good.

Did you paint those or are those indeed the real colour?

If so it seems the material may indeed be different???

FUD is usually translucent green from the packet.

We're going tangential to the original topic, but it has probably served it's original purpose.

You're right. I sprayed them with some old can of grey paint I found in my garage. It had a bit more sheen than I really wanted. This is how they looked on arrival.

post-25691-0-81651200-1526702236_thumb.jpg

post-25691-0-95639800-1526702326_thumb.jpg

In FUD they are fragile, but the detail is pretty phenomenal. I've not tried them in the higher res version, but it's probably not worth it for chairs.

There are some on the way in the new HP nylon. I'm sure they will be more robust but I had to beef them up in some areas to get them to print. If they are not too awful I'll post a pic.

• Like 1

As HDA was finishing I decided to place a big order of all the models I’d previously designed for HDA but sadly Shapeways have rejected most of them even though most were based on models printed recently and the drawings modified from them. I guess they’ve given up on this material and trying to print new models.

As HDA was finishing I decided to place a big order of all the models I’d previously designed for HDA but sadly Shapeways have rejected most of them even though most were based on models printed recently and the drawings modified from them. I guess they’ve given up on this material and trying to print new models.

Or the machine is already on the way back to Envisontec! 

• 3 weeks later...

Such a shame, I was really looking forward to trying B-HDA. Any alternative to B-HDA other than FUD/FXD (from any supplier)??

Standard or Grey resin from i.Materialise, but they have a very strict 1mm minimum wall. Prints will be better than BHDA though. 

Slightly offtopic, but anyone having issues choosing print orientation on Shapeways? Seems with their new revamp, theyve broken quite a few options. 

Occasionally, I always seem to have problems orienting the renders though. And at the moment I am subjected to the damn cookie policy popup at the bottom of the screen on every single page. 

Occasionally, I always seem to have problems orienting the renders though. And at the moment I am subjected to the damn cookie policy popup at the bottom of the screen on every single page.

I wasnt asking about the render image. I meant the option on how to orientate the model in the printer.

I had a few parts I was importing last night and I wanted to ensure it would print a certain way up for quality reasons, but the option appears to have completely vanished, unless its burried underneath some strange option.

Standard or Grey resin from i.Materialise, but they have a very strict 1mm minimum wall. Prints will be better than BHDA though. 

FWIW i.materialise's range of resins are not suitable for the kind of small details we require in N gauge and HO gauge models. Our models have details as fine as 0.2mm  and 0.3mm. Not to mention that their costs for shipping are quite high also.

FWIW i.materialise's range of resins are not suitable for the kind of small details we require in N gauge and HO gauge models. Our models have details as fine as 0.2mm  and 0.3mm. Not to mention that their costs for shipping are quite high also.

iMaterialise also doesn't add VAT until the checkout process so bear that in mind when looking at their prices too

Yes it is -  0.2mm domed rivets on my Cambrian wagons (standard resin and grey resin). Wall thickness is no indicator of minimum details achievable. Whilst Shapeways will print a stupidly thin part that snaps as soon as you tickle it with a feather, i.materialise won't, and I can't say I blame them for that. 

post-21854-0-28876900-1528181963_thumb.jpg

I wasnt asking about the render image. I meant the option on how to orientate the model in the printer.

I had a few parts I was importing last night and I wanted to ensure it would print a certain way up for quality reasons, but the option appears to have completely vanished, unless its burried underneath some strange option.

And as I said I occasionally get issues with it - usually because I've pressed the button before the page has fully loaded. The set orientation option doesn't appear in the first place until the model has been put through the initial checks which can sometimes take a very long time. 

Edited by Quarryscapes

Yes it is -  0.2mm domed rivets on my Cambrian wagons (standard resin and grey resin). Wall thickness is no indicator of minimum details achievable. Whilst Shapeways will print a stupidly thin part that snaps as soon as you tickle it with a feather, i.materialise won't, and I can't say I blame them for that. 

attachicon.gifSLIDEDSXT9206.jpg

Well the last time I checked everything has a minimum detail thickness of 0.5mm, I stand corrected on that. However none of the materials can be done with a 0.7mm wall thickness and therefore not suitable for my needs. I don't like models with wall thicknesses that looks like a prison boundary wall.