O gauge US "Shorty" switcher bodies on ebay

Now c'mon Jason, just keep holding your breath till something else becomes more important in life than just kid's toy makers making otherwise sane people mindlessly accept that, no their tool-making costs wouldn't have been better spent on a simplified prototype model that grandchildren could be playing with on the living-room floor as well as older modellers, by simply adding more detail, running a good scale model ... paaaaahhhhh ... oh 53 seconds - not bad :)

Nah. I love all Beeps. They're a great reminder that we're all grown adults still playing with toys. :D

What's the saying "Men never stop playing with toys as they grow up; the toys just get more expensive."

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the publicity, Jordan! The RMT models do make their own chassis to fit the shell, by the time you’ve got them and paid the US mail charges, ouch, and maybe import dues, they come out expensive for what they are. I think the F outline just look too stubby, but the GPs look, - dare I say it?, cute.. (woof, yeeoww, Jason’s just thrown his iPad at the dog) The other thing is if you’ve looked at the conversion on my Englefield thread you’ll grasp the resin cast bodies are surprisingly fragile, particularly if they were intended as a kids toy. No matter, if you adapt it to fit an Atlas Plymouth chassis, I really do like them. The Atlas looks better as a high hood switcher, the chassis is cheap and you can still come across them, and it is a durable hard working little runner, after I made it it became the loco of choice on the line. I also learnt my lesson a while back, when younger granddaughter had a driving session, and I’ve got a nice Geep Jason approves of, as he did the kit, still needing running repairs, now if I’d have given her the beep, things would have turned out so much better.

Where are we now? Well, there’s another two on the go, at present covered in dust while they wait for me to do work on my Washbourne line, hopefully someday I’ll return to them. No more RMT shells, one is a hacked up brass hood I dug out of Jason’s lucky dip box, we’ve established it’s a Uboat, but I’ve taken the dimensions of the RMT shell and this has been adapted to make a GP outline for another Atlas bottom, there’s somebody does stick on Louvres which should prove highly useful for it. Secondly I’m trying another in plastikard, again to the same proportions, but this time with the cab at one end, and it’s intended to be a fourpipe Baldwin VO, sort of. Here they are sitting in the evening sunlight. Mr McInroe would be going “you cannot be serious!!!!”

post-26540-0-75131200-1526411589_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Since last night I’ve carefully read the link Jack started with. My view is there was a lot of work involved with shortening the RMT body which isn’t really all that necessary, just keep it as it is and live with long overhangs. It’s still quite a short loco anyway, otherwise making your own top in plastikard for any of the old high hood switchers will make a useful loco that’s quite believable, and much preferable to the Plymouth job.

I think the biggest advantage of a "BEEP" is that it is SHORT, and in our miniature worlds, where we are frequently suffering from a lack of space, they fit in just fine. Okay, so they aren't models of real locos, but they do help to provide the motive power when space is a big problem

Edited by shortliner