GWR station nameboards, how many on a platform ?

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to all the contributors, it’s been a great and interesting response, one last question, by 1970 what would have been the general colours of the boards and lettering, I have seen a good number on the web from the late 1960’s showing white lettering on black boards, was this the general condition by 1970 ?

Thanks in advance

Craig

I think that might be ok for the '70s as by then all the survivors I can recall from that time had been repainted from chocolate & cream to black & white.

I think that might be ok for the '70s as by then all the survivors I can recall from that time had been repainted from chocolate & cream to black & white.

Mike, many thanks for confirming that .... happy days

Best regards

Craig

Many thanks to all the contributors, it’s been a great and interesting response, one last question, by 1970 what would have been the general colours of the boards and lettering, I have seen a good number on the web from the late 1960’s showing white lettering on black boards, was this the general condition by 1970 ?

I remember coming across one in about 1966 somewhere between Leamington and Stratford, it might have been Claverdon or Wilmcote, whose board had been repainted white with the lettering in black. The new modern image signs were only just starting to appear at the time and this one looked very odd. Perhaps it was the first place where they found the old GWR signs near-impossible to dig out and this was a local improvisation. I later saw plenty of the ex-GWR with white letters on black, but this was the only one that followed the colour scheme but not the styling of the new signs.

• 3 weeks later...