Middlemark

Darius43

David,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment and for your succint advice.  Putting aside your somewhat terse prose you do make some valid comments, espcailly about the terminus on the upper level, which my frend and I have discussed and will continue to do so as it does add a lot of interest to the operation of the layout.  I must say that the current and excellent "Kings Cross Suburban" layout thread is very inspirational in this respect.

The upper layout plan is, as I have said, fluid so will most likely not be as per the sketchup illustrations posted at the start of the threat.

The lower storage level dead end sidings are for several HSTs and other assorted multiple units (of which we have quite a few of many nationalities) and are not intended for loco-hauled trains for the reasons that you have stated.  We have changed the access route to these sidings so as to remove the reverse loop connection at the base of the helix.  This will become apparent as construction progresses.

We are aware of the implications of the orientation of the helix but this is the best location for it with respect to how my friend wants to use his shed.  This is why we are experimenting with Powerbase on the inside ascending track and will be testing this before extending the helix further.   The helix core will be accessed from below not above although we are planning to have removable scenery above to facilitate access.

As to the shed floor thanks again for your guidance - what is there now is most likley not the finished solution.

Cheers

Darius

PS - to quote Del Boy: "I hope you got your money back from the charm school".

Na mate

I tried to get a refund from the charm school but they said do one and threatened to break my legs.      I just dont want someone (else) to build a big project and find it doesn't actually work.

The problem as drawn is once you get to the top level that is it.  Nowhere to turn round to come back down.  If I upset you sorry, but I was trying to make a point and its better to redesign now than find the issues when its all finished

I think a radical non standard type of helix could work, it needs at least two exits for up and down to feed a clockwise circuit and an anticlockwise circuit. This would normally mean a  diamond crossing and associated pointwork on the helix so the exit from the inner track can cross the outer..  However if the inner tack did one complete extra turn compared to the outer the crossover could simply bridge over the outer that way you could get trains back down from the station level, by laying in a couple of connecting tracks.   Getting back down from the upper level if more difficult but not necessarily impossible but very complicated.

post-21665-0-25083300-1527775232_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

I think a radical non standard type of helix could work, it needs at least two exits for up and down to feed a clockwise circuit and an anticlockwise circuit. This would normally mean a  diamond crossing and associated pointwork on the helix so the exit from the inner track can cross the outer..  However if the inner tack did one complete extra turn compared to the outer the crossover could simply bridge over the outer that way you could get trains back down from the station level, by laying in a couple of connecting tracks.   Getting back down from the upper level if more difficult but not necessarily impossible but very complicated.

Interesting. We have decided to send the outer helix track out as a single line exit “anticlockwise” as per the original plan and continue the inside line around half a revolution and send it out “clockwise”. Essentially as per your sketch but with single lines, thus avoiding crossover tracks and turnouts on the helix.

This also allows each line on the helix to be bi-directional.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold

Darius,

You forgot to mention the longest siding is just over 22' - not bad for OO gauge...

Mark

I reckon I can fill that with something.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1

Hi Darius

Excellent length, that what I call I proper length of a fiddle yard, with full life like rakes, just as we it in the real world.

Keep going, it's all interesting to see and watch your progress.

Regards

Jamie

Darius,

You forgot to mention the longest siding is just over 22' - not bad for OO gauge...

Mark

That could hold a pretty close to full length Freightliner, though it would probably need about 5 engines to move on the level...

Ever considered modelling North America? ;)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

More progress - 1.5 circuits added to the helix and power feeds to the storsge tracks. Each track will be isolated via an illuminated switch.

post-29162-0-92072900-1531578350_thumb.jpeg

post-29162-0-19498200-1531578400_thumb.jpeg

post-29162-0-19433800-1531578552_thumb.jpeg

post-29162-0-46187600-1531578660_thumb.jpeg

post-29162-0-38178400-1531578834_thumb.jpeg

Tried out the “Great Escape” method of accessing the space inside the helix using a wheeled car maintenance trolley. Works fine as long as I hold my breath when rolling in and out..,

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Darius

Nice progress, its looking great mate.

Regards

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, we’re getting there slowly and steadily.

I now need to glue some more Powerbase plates to the helix segments before we can extend it further.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

Hi Darius

With regards to your Helix... which I have to say looks superb even if you left it at this point and never went any further with it... ha-ha :no: , is the straight part on the helix 2' foot long...? and the half curves, is that 4'6 inches on the outside measurements...? on a 2nd and 3rd radius...?

Its great to look at, even better when you reach the moon with it. :nono:

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Never in the field of human modelling, have so many trains been fitted into so few ..........

And it’s not yet even the end of the beginning...

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very impressive. We are working on a similar concept on a much smaller scale in a bedroom. The way we are dealing with the issue of returning trains is to have a dog bone type setup. One end of the dog bone is under the helix and the other is on top (held up by the helix structure).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Darius

With regards to your Helix... which I have to say looks superb even if you left it at this point and never went any further with it... ha-ha :no: , is the straight part on the helix 2' foot long...? and the half curves, is that 4'6 inches on the outside measurements...? on a 2nd and 3rd radius...?

Its great to look at, even better when you reach the moon with it. :nono:

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

The helix plan dimensions are as follows:-

post-29162-0-74177300-1532782788_thumb.jpeg

The tracks are 3rd and 4th radius.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1

Hi Darius

Must say your extra rise on the Helix is looking pretty good, I have to say...

Thanks for the information, the straight is a lot smaller than I expected it to be, but if it helps the slope length increase, the better I guess and having the Helix in a 3rd and 4th radius makes it great to run just about anything you want...!

Can I ask what is the size of the gap between the two tracks that you have settled on...?  I was wondering about a Pendolino for example maybe the biggest overhang of the rails that Hornby as probably made to date, so is the gap wide enough to have Passing Pendolino's with no smashing or knocking against each other...? Heljan as a few of the Cargo wagons that are quiet lengthy to... so I was just wondering how you settle on the Gap Width between the two tracks...?

Thanks again.

Regards

Jamie