The Kelsby Light Railway; or, Red's Hopeful Layout

RedGemAlchemist

(Cross Post with the rest of my threads)

Sorry for the radio silence but I have been dealing with a lot of real life issues of late. But that doesn't mean I've been neglecting the KLR.

One brake van, scratch built on Triang chassis, and some building kits, as well as a Volvo 544 for Jacob Bradleigh's car as he loves classic cars. Stay tuned...

post-33750-0-64707700-1533659205_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Not strictly to do with the layout proper but the room (shed) that it's in.

Found this abandoned in a storage unit at work. Liked it, kept it. Now sits above the fiddle yard... Because everywhere else it'll get in the way of the backscene.

post-33750-0-99067600-1534085040_thumb.jpg

So now I have a photo of Big Ben during the Blitz on my railway room wall. Cool.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after doing the first version of the layout of Kelsby station I realised I'd made a noticeable error and given no room for the larger locomotives to run round trains. Oops.

post-33750-0-32296100-1535374871_thumb.jpg

So here is Kelsby V2. Bit bigger, bit more thought out, extra siding in the goods yard and the turntable isn't falling off the side anymore. Also forgive the black marks on the board, I made the dumb decision to mark out everything in Sharpie. D'oh.

As always, critique not only welcome but encouraged, so long as it's constructive and helpful.

• Like 5

Another update to the Kelsby Light Railway. Kelsby itself is beginning to take shape. The coal yard is done, and now the yard will grow outwards from here. Hopefully I can keep the yard level.

Grass is 2mm static grass by WWS, the dirt track is just painted sawdust, the hedges are lichen (properly old school, I know) and the tree is off eBay but I don't know what make.

post-33750-0-69848600-1535909306_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Well, after doing the first version of the layout of Kelsby station I realised I'd made a noticeable error and given no room for the larger locomotives to run round trains. Oops.

attachicon.gif_20180827_135450.JPG

So here is Kelsby V2. Bit bigger, bit more thought out, extra siding in the goods yard and the turntable isn't falling off the side anymore. Also forgive the black marks on the board, I made the dumb decision to mark out everything in Sharpie. D'oh.

As always, critique not only welcome but encouraged, so long as it's constructive and helpful.

I've enjoyed reading through this Thread & your enthusiasm is evident in your posts :good:

Just a suggestion you can feel free to ignore (Rule #1 & all that); given the turntable location I would swap the loco shed & goods yard over. The short sidings by the turntable invite a mixed collection of ramshackle engine sheds that would give the look of a facility that has grown like topsy over time, & I would then extend the sidings at the back into the corner to make a longer, more plausible goods yard, which would also have better access for unloading & road vehicles, even if much of this was displayed on the backscene.

With such a swap, your engines would be closer to the turntable & closer to the viewer (you!) to admire, & there'd be more room for your rakes of wagons from the quarry etc. The one downside might be difficulty in reaching the furthest wagons in the yard, but that depends to an extent on how much shunting of them you intend to do.

Just my 2p-worth...

Jordan.

• Like 2

I've enjoyed reading through this Thread & your enthusiasm is evident in your posts :good:

Just a suggestion you can feel free to ignore (Rule #1 & all that); given the turntable location I would swap the loco shed & goods yard over. The short sidings by the turntable invite a mixed collection of ramshackle engine sheds that would give the look of a facility that has grown like topsy over time, & I would then extend the sidings at the back into the corner to make a longer, more plausible goods yard, which would also have better access for unloading & road vehicles, even if much of this was displayed on the backscene.

With such a swap, your engines would be closer to the turntable & closer to the viewer (you!) to admire, & there'd be more room for your rakes of wagons from the quarry etc. The one downside might be difficulty in reaching the furthest wagons in the yard, but that depends to an extent on how much shunting of them you intend to do.

Just my 2p-worth...

Jordan.

Hmm. Hadn't actually thought about that. Something to think about there.

Just my 2p-worth...

Jordan.

Like this?

post-33750-0-78358900-1536058646_thumb.jpg

Goods shed is a repainted Skaledale one from 2006 and the cattle dock is an Ancorton kit. Both of which I forgot to talk about on my buildings thread. Damn. Can't extend the sidings to much more though or else they'll hit the wall and also stuff won't be able to get around the massive goods shed.

But yeah, Kelsby starts to truly take shape.

• Like 9

Like this?

Yes, like that :good: ... and you don't particularly need to worry about "stuff won't be able to get around the massive goods shed" - assuming you mean road vehicles, this is where you depict the road access on the backscene; you don't physically need the space, unless you have road vehicles you want to use, of course. :scratchhead: ;)

• Like 1

post-33750-0-78979900-1536509325_thumb.jpg

Kelsby as it stands as of this afternoon. Starting to really take shape. Soon the track for the goods yard will be able to be pinned down!

post-33750-0-17894200-1536509546_thumb.jpg

And my little favourite area. The brown fence took forever to get to stand up straight.

• Like 8

attachicon.gifDSC_0129.JPG

Kelsby as it stands as of this afternoon. Starting to really take shape. Soon the track for the goods yard will be able to be pinned down!

attachicon.gifDSC_0130.JPG

And my little favourite area. The brown fence took forever to get to stand up straight.

Wow, Red, it's suddenly all come alive.  Looking good!

Hey, guys. Little question: how can I tell what signals should go where? I have no idea how it works.

Well, either I find my book on signally, scan it to you and you work it out from first principles, or, you do as Gary suggests! 

Might be worth seeing now much you can work out yourself before throwing yourself on the mercy of the community!

• Like 1

Wow, Red, it's suddenly all come alive. Looking good!

Thank you! I'm putting an awful lot of work into it so I'm pleased to see that you especially approve of my work. Not to sound like I'm kissing your a*** of course... :jester:

That said I do sometimes wonder whether I should have laid the track and ballast first. Ah well, bit late for that now.

Well, either I find my book on signally, scan it to you and you work it out from first principles, or, you do as Gary suggests!

Might be worth seeing now much you can work out yourself before throwing yourself on the mercy of the community!

My method was...... post a track plan and put a plea for help as a status. Someone that knows will be along.

Gary

Fair enough. As much as I appreciate you and Gary being something of mentor figures to me, I guess here it might be best to attempt to work it out myself before I prostrate myself before my peers.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Kelsby.png

Okay, so have I got the trackplan right? I don't want to do all the signals only to find I have drawn the plan incorrectly! It's not to scale, by the way.

Gathered it wasn't.

You missed the two other loco sheds BTW. Two little tracks off the long siding next to the spur with the water tower.

Behold, today's Norwich haul.

One prebuilt Dapol level crossing, two Oxford Diecast cars, a Hamburn Hamlet boat, some corner bits to repair said level crossing, a Dapol Kitmaster pub, two sets of Dapol platforms to finish Kelsby station, a Wills signal box for Hewe, a Wills taxi men's shelter to be turned into a boathouse, some Ratio lineside huts and a Wills crossing keeper's cottage. Just need the two other engine sheds to arrive through the post.

post-33750-0-44922900-1538062746_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Also the pub is finished and in place and Kelsby station platform is now complete. Forgot to mention that. Will put up photos when I get a moment.

And here they are, as Kelsby continues to rise from my imagination like some kind of bizarre backwater phoenix and manifest itself into our world in a way that may not be real but is, in the Pratchettian meaning, Real.

post-33750-0-34998000-1538327128_thumb.jpg

• Like 6