Aldi Digital Soldering Station - Any good?

On sale from this Sunday...

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-digital-soldering-station/p/083184201878400

How would this compare with other soldering stations and is the spec. suitable for a wide range of model railway applications, e.g. electrical wiring, soldering brass parts etc, ?

Ron

The quoted 4 minute warm-up time from 23-300C would worry me a bit, seems a bit slow for a 60W iron.

For just under £20 it's not a bad price, tbh. I'll take a punt on one; won't be able to test it until I get home in July, but that's not a problem.

Aldi electrical kit is usually pretty good, so we will see.

• RMweb Premium

A couple of things that would make think twice.

Is there a back up after sales service for things like spare soldering iron bits?

Many soldering stations to down to 150 degrees at the power end, which is ideal for soldering whitemetal. 200 is borderline and 60 watts at 200 degrees may well melt some smaller components.

Having said that, I managed with a similar iron from Maplins for many years and only got a better one when some 7mm stuff got too big for it to heat up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned elsewhere (Bargain Hunters Mk2) along with other possible useful tools.

Aldi electrical items have a three year warranty and if they are on form there will be spares as I found when I wanted a spare battery for a multi-tool

Keith

I've bought the similar one from Lidl for about half the price*. It's not digital - it just has a calibrated knob. It does the job, but there are a couple of snags. The cable is very stiff (and has a mind of its own!) and the bits are rubbish and burn out quickly. This seems to be a characteristic of modern bits I find :(

Spares are available according to the instructions. IIRC a couple of quid each plus carriage - it's almost cheaper to buy another iron!

* It comes with solder and spade and point bits like the Aldi one.

Edited by Il Grifone

Hello,

Looking at the bits shown gives me the impression replacements could be a problem. Are they some standard screw type I have not seen before?

Possibly dearer in the long run due to low cost standard bits not being available from numerous sources to keep prices competitive.

trustytrev.:)

Regarding the operating temperature range, 200-450 C.

Is that suitable for most modelling and electrical work?

n.b. My old cheapie Weller, that I've had for nearly 35 years, doesn't have any temperature control, so it's always been a hit and miss affair.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium

I had a look at this in Aldi today, looks OK but I'm a bit (sic) concerned the way the bits screw in and whether any other brands have them like that.

All of the irons I have had/used either push in or on to the iron's body or have a locking ring screw or side grip screw.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

If you're going to be doing a lot of soldering, get yourself a decent iron.  I'm not at all sure that Aldi's offering falls into that category.

DT