Cleaning solder flux off etched brass

I have recently changed my brand of solder flux and I'm having problems getting rid of the residue. I normally boil the soldered parts in soda flakes this has partially worked but I have still got a black greasy residue. The flux I'm now using is LA-CO.

Can anyone give me some tips?

Marc 

CIF bathroom spray with a drop of Fairy liquid and an old tooth brush after every session. Mr Muscle works well too.

Might be worth exploring the greasy residue. How does it respond to acetone (nail varnish remover), cellulose thinners, engine degreaser.

Are you sure you need such a strong flux for modelling? It seems to be designed for plumbing.

Why not try some of the safety flux designed for modelling, sold bu "O" Gauge Online?

http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=52&vmcchk=1&Itemid=52

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My best favoured cleaners of all time  are Bar Keepers Friend and Viakal.

if you clean with Viakal after every soldering session you will have no problems.

Cheers

johnny

• Like 1

My best favoured cleaners of all time  are Bar Keepers Friend and Viakal.

if you clean with Viakal after every soldering session you will have no problems.

Cheers

johnny

Interesting - I thought as well as removing as much residue as possible the idea was to neutralise anything left behind (e.g. with an alkaline cleaner such as the sodium carbonate containing Cif). All the datasheets I've seen for Viakal indicate that it is acidic - which would be expected from its lime-scale removing function. 

• 4 weeks later...