Bachmann 37-068 GWR 5plk

These were end tipping 9 foot wheelbase wagons of a BR design which itself was a revised version of a GWR design. There is a Bachmann R-T-R model and a Ratio kit. Both have roller bearing axleboxes. I am in the process of replacing the axleboxes on mine. An Ian Kirk kit was once available of the GWR wagon.

This is a GWR example:-

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/GWR_wagon_O13_92943.jpg

The ones I remember seeing were all over white from the clay.

EDIT

The GWR version of the Airfix open wagon is here:- (currently out of stock).

http://www.hattons.co.uk/324683/Airfix_GMR_Great_Model_Railways_54372_LN06_5_Plank_Open_Wagon_GWR_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

This very wagon (109458) is illustrated in Atkins et al. Vol. 2 and described as O24 of 1924. several detail differences are obvious. Mainly the diagonal bracing does not extend down over the solebars, the end stanchions are tapered over the whole end and the corner plates extend down over the curb rail. Strangely Vol. 1 lists 109458 as O27, one of three wagons for tinplate traffic of 1930/1, but there are no further details of this diagram, beyond a higher tare weight of 7 tons 15 cwt., presumably to cover floor strengthening?

Whilst the Clayhoods were indeed 16'6" over headstocks, with a 9' wheelbase, the Clayliner fleet, used for longer-distance flows to the Potteries, Scotland and Kent used 17'6"/10' merchandise opens. Most, though not all, had roller bearings. Very occasionally, one of the end-tipping wagons would be found on the long-distance runs, but this was very unusual. Examples of roller-bearing, end-tipping, wagons were few and far between.

Regarding the open built for tinplate traffic: rather than a reinforced floor, is it possible the ends had been strengthened ? Tinplate, until the late 1970s, was wrapped in packs covered with oiled paper, then placed in wooden boxes, which slid around very easily.