I don't know whether it should be in the P-Way section or any other section, but I have a question- Does N gauge stuff (relatively new) run on 2FS track? I'm not interested in conversions, just the better look of the track. Furthermore, I will use Code 55 or 80 points and track from the Peco range, so very much a 2FS as a supplementary track.

• RMweb Premium

Recent N gauge stock will run on 2FS plain track. The gauge of 2FS is slightly larger than N, but N gauge wheels are wide enough to cope with the excess.

N gauge stock will not run through 2FS points and crossings.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter,

For better looking points and crossings take a look at: http://www.britishfinescale.com/

It's a developing system so you may have to wait for particular formations to work through to availiability, there should be a scissors crossover sometime for example, but if you don't mind assembling the fairly straightforward looking kits it'll be a serious option.

I have a fair deal of Peco Code 55 stashed away for my layout, but I am seriously considering selling that on and replacing.

Regards, Gerry.

Sorry Gareth, you beat me to it, but my comments may still be worth considering...

Edited by steam-driven boy

Hi Peter,

I'm building a layout with the same idea. As others have said, N gauge wheels won't run through 2mmFS points and crossings. Finetrax looks nearly as good as 2mmFS but doesn't offer flat bottom rail or concrete sleepers. So fo my layout I'm using...

- Finetrax points

- 2mm Society flat bottom rail and concrete sleepers

- Peco Code 55 points and track in the fiddle yard. It's quick to lay and reliable.

John.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Hi Peter,

I'm building a layout with the same idea. As others have said, N gauge wheels won't run through 2mmFS points and crossings. Finetrax looks nearly as good as 2mmFS but doesn't offer flat bottom rail or concrete sleepers. So fo my layout I'm using...

- Finetrax points

- 2mm Society flat bottom rail and concrete sleepers

- Peco Code 55 points and track in the fiddle yard. It's quick to lay and reliable.

John.

Not yet, but Wayne Kinney is working on it, from his post on the N Gauge Forum in March this year:

Once I confirm the suitability of the silver grey HIPS sheet for the 'concrete' turnout bases (I want your opinions, guys!), I will go ahead and commence tooling for flat bottom rail concrete plain line flexi track (with or without Dow-mac branding). I can then get this released THIS year, and will tool for flat bottom rail turnout chairs/kits next year...

So if you're not in a rush...

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Premium

Wayne's posted on the NGF here to say that tooling has commenced on concrete sleeper FB Finetrax, with samples being available in c 8 weeks. He's also got a new supplier for bases, so they should be closer in colour to the 2mm SA ones, previously there was a suggestion they'd be much darker.

• RMweb Premium

Just through plain track... On a similar note, will 00 go through P4? I would only want cheaper N points anyway.

No. The gauge excess is greater and 00 wheels are relatively narrower so they'll tend to drop between the rails on P4 plain track.

Wayne's posted on the NGF here to say that tooling has commenced on concrete sleeper FB Finetrax, with samples being available in c 8 weeks. He's also got a new supplier for bases, so they should be closer in colour to the 2mm SA ones, previously there was a suggestion they'd be much darker.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately a little late for me, but good to know.

John.

If you're sticking to N have you considered Finetrax? No connection, just better looking N gauge track.

http://www.britishfinescale.com/product-p/finetrax-flexi-metre.htm

It certainly is better looking. With a little bit of work it is possible to make them really look quite good, replacing the cast common crossing with a rail built one certainly is worth it.