Can point rodding be laid across a plate girder type bridge ?

This may sound like a daft question, can point rodding be laid along side a railway line across a plate girder type bridge ? If yes was it restricted to certain regions or did all regions do it when necessary?

Thanks in advance

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

This may sound like a daft question, can point rodding be laid along side a railway line across a plate girder type bridge ? If yes was it restricted to certain regions or did all regions do it when necessary?

Thanks in advance

Craig

This is a poor example with just one rod...

post-4034-0-77183000-1528628253_thumb.jpg

It does show a scalebeam in use as a compensator though.

Are you thinking of the bridges where the track is on longitudinal waybeams without ballast?

Either really, ballast or non ballasted types, I am just trying to be protypical on a river crossing approaching a station, so it will be a deciding factor on whether I can model a 2 track bridge or a single track brick, as I need to know does the point have to be on the same side of the river as the signal box and have to model a single track bridge, or can I gain more double track length and have the point on the other side of the river ?

Best regards

Craig

• RMweb Gold

Hi Craig

Hope all is well in North Wales

Might an electric motor be an alternative? Shame to compromise operational flexibility for infrastructural issues....

Phil

Hi Craig

Hope all is well in North Wales

Might an electric motor be an alternative? Shame to compromise operational flexibility for infrastructural issues....

Phil

Hi Phil all well thanks, hope it’s the same with you ? There is no problem in motorising the point, it’s about modelling what is protypical, I think LNERGE has answered my question, but as I am loosely modelling a SR withered arm terminus that the track has to cross a river, I was confirming if the Y point on the approach to the station can be modelled before crossing the bridge to the board that the station is on ? Hence asking if point and signal rodding would cross the said bridge ?

Best regards

Craig

• RMweb Gold

Hi Craig

All good here thanks - heading off to Loughborough show as crew on Readham next weekend

Cross wires perhaps ...hee hee....did mean a prototype electric motor - did the Southern use them? Know the Western did.....

Phil

Hi Craig

All good here thanks - heading off to Loughborough show as crew on Readham next weekend

Cross wires perhaps ...hee hee....did mean a prototype electric motor - did the Southern use them? Know the Western did.....

Phil

Hi Phil I should have said the year I am modelling is 1970, not sure was being used then, I am only really getting into studying the infrastructure things now that I am doing a bit of serious modelling.

Best regards

Craig

Either really, ballast or non ballasted types, I am just trying to be protypical on a river crossing approaching a station, so it will be a deciding factor on whether I can model a 2 track bridge or a single track brick, as I need to know does the point have to be on the same side of the river as the signal box and have to model a single track bridge, or can I gain more double track length and have the point on the other side of the river ?

Best regards

Craig

I can see no problem with running rodding across a structure with waybeams. A ballast trough type structure is easier i guess. I have been looking for pictures of Twenty feet River and the origial box. A fair mass of rodding would have crossed the bridge there. The new box was the other side of the drain so it would have been gone by 1974. Only the main crossover was the far side and they motorised it.

• RMweb Gold

Best regards

Craig

Not really a problem to have rodding over the bridge. You will only be looking at one rod for the points and one for the FPL. I have even crossed under the track into the six-foot and back to avoid obstacles on one occasion. If the track on a bridge was ballasted but not deep enough for conventional stools we would fix straps to the sleepers and on unballasted track to the waybeams.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thought I might throw up a couple if I went far enough back in my career. 

At Berkswell there was an underpass big enough for a horse and cart between the signal box and the level crossing. This was a plate girder bridge and had rodding on both sides to the road stops and down the six-foot for the rail stop. The rodding on the box side was boarded over for a walking route to the station. http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrberk1554.htm

There was also a crossover between the platforms operated by the rodding which crossed at the box. 

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrberk2357.htm

Coundon Road had the same layout, but the bridge in this case was a brick one and the rodding to the crossover was on the box side of the line in front of the platform wall..

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrcr3385.htm

Edited by TheSignalEngineer