Coal yard surface

Guest ShildonShunter

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi I'm currently modelling a coal yard theme for my cakebox entry but I'm stuck on what to use to create the surface of a coal yard. Any advice guys will be great.:)

• RMweb Gold

Wills' cobbles, partly filled in/ smoothed over with filler. Or use Slater's plain bond brick sheets in the same way

Rough sandpaper / glass paper painted black/ grey.

Stu

• Like 1

If you want a cinder/gravel/coal dust finish then very fine sand (play sand is good as it’s washed) sieved onto the yard then wetted with a hand sprayer and fixed like ballast works very well. To get the tonal variation I use dyed PVA mix, use calligraphy inks in varying black/brown mixes added to thinned PVA with water and a bit of washing up liquid.

To do the coal dust use a fine sieve with real ground coal, same with ash. You can mix the two together and dust over the wet sand mix.

An example of a yard in this finish can be seen here, note this is 2mm/N so the coarser bits can look a tiny bit over scale.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/39822-squeezebelly-lane-depot-n-inglenook-in-a-table-still-going/?p=683441

Edited by devondynosoar118

I'll chuck this is in , though it may be a bit late. The B&Q types do a flexible tile adhesive, that when applied has the colour and texture that looks "right", best finish I've ever seen tbh. Drops of oil and varnish to finish it off, work a treat. 

RM