Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

• RMweb Gold

Looks like scratch building to me, but it uses a pug chassis and some of the body, so I don't think anyone would stop you calling it a pugbash.

Whatever it is though, I think it's off to a great start, and I can't wait to see more progress!

Gary

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Does this still count as a pugbash

I think that’s entirely down to you. 

To my mind, a successful pugbash is one which doesn’t look like a pug.

Edited by Regularity
Quite how autocorrect missed “mms” for “my” is beyond me.
  • Agree 1

I venture a view here.  Generally one can tell that a pug bash started as a Pug.  The test is passed for me if, despite knowing it is a pug bash and despite recognising key components as ex-Pug, the resultant model looks original and convincing; a locomotive in its own right, as it were.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

In that case, it might still count. I think the pug chassis is very distinctive, even with the modified cylinders and I reckon most people could trace the origin of that cab too. The boiler/smokebox will probably be the last of the scratchbuilding, the rest of the fittings I'm planning to pinch from other locos.

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Two key questions:

Does it use bits of pug?

Did you bash it?

Extra points for:

It doesn’t look obviously like a pugbash.

The loco below looks like what it is, a shortened pug body on an N gauge chassis. To my mind, not a bash, just a pug on a new chassis:

intro.jpg

It’s the cab, and possibly the chimney. A bit of work on the cab, and it would be transformed.

Whereas this doesn’t look like an obvious pugbash:

new+carriage+and+gpv+1.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Regularity said:

Extra points for:

It doesn’t look obviously like a pugbash.

The loco below looks like what it is, a shortened pug body on an N gauge chassis. To my mind, not a bash, just a pug on a new chassis:

intro.jpg

It’s the cab, and possibly the chimney. A bit of work on the cab, and it would be transformed.

Whereas this doesn’t look like an obvious pugbash:

new+carriage+and+gpv+1.jpg

True, but for me, much of the appeal of the pugs is the saddle tank covering the smokebox. BTW, is this why they're called "pugs": that their "faces" are flattened?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Because they are like very small dogs (in the nineteenth century, pugs were not quite so flat faced as now). Terriers was applied to such as the LBSCR, so a pug is the next step down.

Or because they are tough, scrappy little fighters: pugnacious.

Who knows for sure?

7 minutes ago, Guy Rixon said:

True, but for me, much of the appeal of the pugs is the saddle tank covering the smokebox. BTW, is this why they're called "pugs": that their "faces" are flattened?

If so, nobody explained this to Caledonian of the North British

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

Do pugs have tenders? I happen to have a spare lying around that I'm thinking of turning into a four-wheel one.

Aye some of the Caley ones did - quite a basic affair. Have a look at the 7mm scale one produced by Connoisseur Models:

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Wagon Kit Pages/Tender Truck.html

Not sure about the North British examples, but no reason to assume not.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Guy Rixon said:

BTW, is this why they're called "pugs": that their "faces" are flattened?

'Pug' is a Scottish term for a tank engine, of any size from a Neilson 0-4-0ST to the G&SWR's 4-6-4T's.  The latter were known as 'Big Pugs' for obvious reasons.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Apologies for cross posting
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Here we go. Apart from my complete inability to saw in straight lines, this is looking ok. It's one of the test print tenders for my F Class kit, with the middle set of wheels cut out. I'm not sure whether it's a bit too high though, but I think cutting it down will cause more problems than it fixes. Next job will be some serious filler work :)

IMG_20190605_205507.jpg.cb3723147ea5ca91cd1598bb8ef92396.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The 'tenders' which the CR and NBR attached to their 0-4-0st's were simple wooden affairs.  In the case of the Cr they were built on the underframes of 7T Mineral 'bogies'.785857084_1265tender.jpg.c2c2371259adb332d1e350264b8a3a28.jpg

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Edit to add that they only carried coal.
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

Here we go. Apart from my complete inability to saw in straight lines, this is looking ok. It's one of the test print tenders for my F Class kit, with the middle set of wheels cut out. I'm not sure whether it's a bit too high though, but I think cutting it down will cause more problems than it fixes. Next job will be some serious filler work :)

IMG_20190605_205507.jpg.cb3723147ea5ca91cd1598bb8ef92396.jpg

Hi TS,

Look on the bright side, your marking out is excellent !

Gibbo.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I know on some other lines old tenders were sometimes paired with tank engines where there was a need to keep axle loadings low.  I know I've seen some pictures of this somewhere, but I can't remember where now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 06/06/2019 at 00:07, Annie said:

I know on some other lines old tenders were sometimes paired with tank engines where there was a need to keep axle loadings low.  I know I've seen some pictures of this somewhere, but I can't remember where now.

BR Did it with a pair of ex-GER tank engines -

j67j69.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

A lot of filling and sanding has been done to the pugbash, now I need to start looking at details, like the bufferbeams, smokebox doors, boiler fittings etc. I'll have to think carefully about where I pinch them from.

I started thinking about doing another pugbash on my Electrotren chassis when it occurred to me that I could just use the original Electrotren loco with a bit of modification to 'anglicise' it a bit. IIRC they were based on a Barclay design exported to Europe, so I'm looking at opening up the cab, altering the chimney, getting rid of that additional unidentified square thing on top of the boiler, new bufferbeams and a modified smokebox door. It will still be very obvious where the origins of the loco lie, but hopefully I'll be able to make it lose that Continental look. The spectacle plates are a bit low, but there's not much I can do about that.

image.png.b22c6441f6967837fe4bd1a85b19e0ba.png

image.png.433a952e21c8e644841dbbd73ec1a192.png

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

Good idea.

That square thing is probably a boiler-mounted sand box.  Nasty, foreign, habit. 

Looks good.  You have essentially a good boiler, dome, cab-front and tanks with this model that suit a British outline loco. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Good idea.

That square thing is probably a boiler-mounted sand box.  Nasty, foreign, habit. 

Looks good.  You have essentially a good boiler, dome, cab-front and tanks with this model that suit a British outline loco. 

A feature carried by the oldest loco in Wales ;)

• Agree 1