TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

• RMweb Gold
On 07/06/2019 at 13:28, sem34090 said:

BR Did it with a pair of ex-GER tank engines -

j67j69.jpg

Technically, the LNER did it, and B.R. just re-lettered them... ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In an effort to rope this wandering project back to a pugbash, I've added some more pug bits. The Electrotren has also been attacked with the Dremel and a load of filler. Both should get primer soon so I can see just how bad my bodgery has been.

IMG_20190613_222552.jpg.0df953eb6f755782d4436a18349036d7.jpg

IMG_20190613_222705.jpg.d11f649e94f20af4350692331ed401c9.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail
Add pics
  • Like 9

Does anyone want either of these? I was about to chop them up for parts but they both look salvageable as complete locos but will need some serious work. Or cut up for bits from them. PM me if interested.

IMG_20190616_161623.jpg.b1f9de1df4041ae4640b4b7eb4eb8b51.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Devo63 said:

I'd be very interested except for the problem I'm at the other end of the world.

Day 6 of the Creation story, or Judgement Day?

• Funny 1

Meanwhile, on the pugbash and Electrotren-bash...

I might get some backlash for the choice of chimney used here, I had very limited choice and wanted it to look like something the mechanics would just have fixed up as a cheap replacement for the original. Likewise, the buffers are cheap and cheerful.

image.png.4f3595ad230728963b1f219244c1013b.png

Pugbash also coming along nicely, I found some cast buffers in the bits box, and stuck them in the cardboard bufferbeams. Added a few handrails too, so should be ready for primer and blending all the bits together.

image.png.bf3895f0ebf54ff41f5758040383744c.png

image.png.1816f401e7397328fe1d5436c52b9190.png

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The Electrotren-bash is currently having the KCL blue livery applied, probably won't be a very frequent visitor to the layout (if/when it is eventually built), but it's nice to have options.

The pugbash I struggled for a bit to think of how to paint it. Eventually I decided to have a crack at the original livery I was planning to use for the KCL locos, a lined mid-grey. I decided a lined, lighter coloured livery wouldn't last long in a colliery, hence switching to the blue, but I'm interested to see how this one will turn out.

image.png.83445d10be2a75c1286ccdd5f52da68d.png

image.png.295f875ebd0fc3643cfa11d7466088cf.png

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi TS,

The cab fitted to the blue one suits very well the lines of the Electrotren body shell.

Gibbo.

All I did was cut down the original cab to get rid of the very European-looking rear windows. Probably more of a modification than a bash in its traditional sense.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Could be either of two! :)

Jim 

I’ll set ‘em up, and you can bowl them...

(I would add a third, personally: SDJR “Prussian” blue.)

8 hours ago, Regularity said:

I’ll set ‘em up, and you can bowl them...

(I would add a third, personally: SDJR “Prussian” blue.)

Let's not start the argument about exactly which shade 'Prussian Blue' is!!   :nono:

Jim

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

Sorry for intruding, but that 0-4-0 is charming, and couldn't be more Scottish if it's name was Hamish and it was playing the bagpipes in a bath of whisky during an Old Firm derby match.

What colours do you intend to line the grey with?

I was planning to go for white-yellow-white, but am open to suggestions.

• Like 2

The Electrotren bash is almost finished, just the dumb buffers left to paint. A little bit of adjustment needs to be done to make it fit the chassis perfectly despite theoretically being identical to the loco body that was originally on this chassis.

Some progress has also been made on the 'pugbash', also nearing the stage where I can start lining it. I need to find some wheels for the tender though. The F class it was designed for uses 16mm wheels, but I think 14mm might be more appropriate for this loco. 

I've also started on my next CAD project, the first time I've used Fusion360. Most CAD programs are the same, it's just a case of learning where they've moved all the buttons to. Or so I thought, it doesn't seem the easiest system to use so far, so maybe I need to do a few tutorials in it.

image.png.712d0eff1000ac7796fec4a2c329d755.png

image.png.ba204376245e0ed1c168f21e8115e17a.png

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 08:24, TurboSnail said:

I was planning to go for white-yellow-white, but am open to suggestions.

Your skills are in excess of mine, and Rule One always applys…

...But entirely personally I'd go for something darker and more Late Victorian: either green on the upper parts with red or vermillion on the lower parts,

or possibly cream-chocolate-cream on the upper and chocolate-red-chocolate on the lower?

2 hours ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

Your skills are in excess of mine, and Rule One always applys…

...But entirely personally I'd go for something darker and more Late Victorian: either green on the upper parts with red or vermillion on the lower parts,

or possibly cream-chocolate-cream on the upper and chocolate-red-chocolate on the lower?

I've put the lining on hold while I think about it a bit longer - I think a darker set of colours would be nice, but I'm not sure what would work well with the grey.

Maybe dark red - yellow - dark red?

Any other suggestions from anyone else?

The lining on the sides will just be simple rectangles, as I'm just making it out of printed paper sections. Mainly 'cos this is a simple project that I don't want to spend any money on. 

• Like 1