Euston Station Platform One photos 1980's 1990's - Help needed

Good afternoon,

I'm just after a bit of help with my Euston layout. I've posted below a google map shot of the station and was wondering if anyone had any photos or info on how the area under the ramp and canopy on platform one (outlined in red) looked during the late 1980's / early 1990's. I've scoured Flickr and the net and cannot find any that show clearly this area. There are some photos but they don't quite show the area. Was it closed off with a wall or open to the parcels depot behind? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

post-10222-0-69597500-1528896909_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

My initial response was "Parcels depot?" which suggests it was wall. Admittedly I spent most of my time on that side of the station looking at the trains rather than the structure but I would have thought I'd recall any kind of opening that was larger than say a garage door.

Edit: FWIW I didn't mention the gate that Simon mentioned below as it was outside the red area and went straight onto Eversholt Street (I looked through the gaps at the time)

Edited by ChrisH-UK

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies. So it seems there was just a wall along this section with possibly double doors under the train shed near the buffers. Was the wall built along the boundary of the canopy with the canopy being on the parcels depot side?

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Going along the outside wall, just past where the platform stop blocks are there is a vehicle access gateway from Eversholt Street. Moving north along Eversholt street there is anothe entrance but I don't know what it was. There was a staircase inside the wall leading to the offices on the east side of the top deck. Just before reaching Barnby Street there was another vehicle access into the yard behind the Royal Mail building  From there you could see right into the station. This yard was by the right hand end of your red box.

This is the stop blocks end looking from platform 2, showing the vehicle entrance. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2874031

This is looking along platform 1 from the stop blocks. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/HotspotDetails.aspx?stdCode=SME_EUS&fullsize=34201

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Going along the outside wall, just past where the platform stop blocks are there is a vehicle access gateway from Eversholt Street. Moving north along Eversholt street there is anothe entrance but I don't know what it was. There was a staircase inside the wall leading to the offices on the east side of the top deck. Just before reaching Barnby Street there was another vehicle access into the yard behind the Royal Mail building  From there you could see right into the station. This yard was by the right hand end of your red box.

This is the stop blocks end looking from platform 2, showing the vehicle entrance. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2874031

This is looking along platform 1 from the stop blocks. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/HotspotDetails.aspx?stdCode=SME_EUS&fullsize=34201

The only thing I can see that looks different from how I remember it from the mid-late 1980's is the fire exit at the end of P1 (not the large vehicle access gate). I think the fire exit may be a more recent addition.

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Gold

The only thing I can see that looks different from how I remember it from the mid-late 1980's is the fire exit at the end of P1 (not the large vehicle access gate). I think the fire exit may be a more recent addition.

Looking at StreetView there's a secon vehicle gate onto the platform opposite the Prince Arthur pub. It would be about 125 yards from the Buffer Stops and there is another door which appears to be a Fire Escape nearby. The staircase I mentioned earlier to the offices up on the deck is about a further 40 yards on. 

Hi guys,

Thanks again for the additional info. Street view is a great tool but its always nice to know if what we see is more recent or not. I've now got a much clearer idea of how this wall will look now and can now start building it. My layout doesn't quite reach the buffer blocks (space restricting) so will have to measure out and see if the double doors mentioned earlier will be on the layout or not.

Best regards,

Jeremy