Dunbracken

invercloy

• 4 months later...

I have just received a nice surprise in the post, it's the issues of Voie Libre with my article on Dunbracken in. Now, I knew these were coming, so that wasn't the surprise... the surprise was that it made the front cover! Very very pleased B)

• 1 month later...

I recently discovered your spectacular Dunbracken layout in the "Voie Libre" magazine. Their march-april issue features 2 gems: your layout and Sutton Wharf.

That Clyde Puffer fits perfectly on your layout.

In the article you mentions using foamcore. Last week I just started a new layout using that material for the benchwork.

Could you please tell me what kind of protective coating you apply on the foamcore so it doesn't warp when being painted or receiving some coat of wet plaster ( or wet plaster cloth ) for the scenery ?.

Once again Tom , "well done"

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

Thanks for your comments biggrin.gif

I didn't use anything, just assembled he foamboard with a glue gun and then used cereal packet strips for the scenic foundation. I've had no issues at all with warping. The only thing I would recommend is to cover the fascia boards with hardboard or similar that will be more robust. Dunbracken has now got a few dents and scrapes on it's front.

I don't tend to use this forum much any more, if you want any more info send me a PM and i will see if i can help.

• 2 months later...

I've just accepted an invite to take Dunbracken to Valkenburg in Holland for the annual exhibition at the Smalspoormuseum on the 11th and 12th September this year. It's my first trip abroad to an exhibition so should be great fun!

Oh boy, I can't wait! :D :D (it's not far from me and almost the spiritual home of the 009 Soc. Dutch Group ;) No wonder, the magnificent layout of the late Reinier Hendriksen was donated to this museum)

Hope to be there Tom! :)

Good, look forward to meeting you all being well! wink.gif

Good luck, Tom, and enjoy it!

Any news of Rail Expo yet?

Thanks John! Don't be silly wink.gif Not holding out much hope for that any more...

I've just accepted an invite to take Dunbracken to Valkenburg in Holland for the annual exhibition at the Smalspoormuseum on the 11th and 12th September this year. It's my first trip abroad to an exhibition so should be great fun!

Well deserved recognition of an excellent layout.

Hope all goes well and you get enough time to enjoy the show.

Well deserved recognition of an excellent layout.

Hope all goes well and you get enough time to enjoy the show.

Thanks Kenton biggrin.gif I hope I get time to see the museum and line too, it seems they have some interesting stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I always liked this little layout. Right from the early days of describing how you would be mounting it on an ironing board. Good to see it is getting recognition as it really is very good.

Getting back to the foamcore. That stuff curls like fury out here in Australia. The trick is either to glue two pieces together to try to stop massive curling or paint both sides and the edges with paint to stop moisture getting into the materials. The foam and the paper both react to moisture at different rates - hence the curl. Two pieces glued together is definitely a good way to go. Lucky for me it is scrap material from my day job so I have heaps. Still seal all the surfaces to be sure long term though.

Thanks Ian, glad you've enjoyed the journey from giant weetabix ironing boar to exhibition layout!

I've heard of several people having issues with foamboard curling or distorting but i've never had any such problems. The only issues i've had are surface scratches or dings to the fascias. I'd definitely have clad it with thin ply or hardboard if i were to do it again.

If anyone's interested I've created a flickr set of images of the layout here:

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps not John, the expenses for the show will leave me out of pocket if i take my normal number of operators. I don't want to take any fewer as it's a 3 day show. I'm waiting for a response to see what can be done but if they can't cover everything then i can't afford to go this year. Maybe i'll defer until next year when we've paid for our wedding and i'll have a little more spare cash.

For anyone interested, i've got my old layout up for sale at the moment, it's in the for sale section of this site. I'd like £150 for it, it's able to be built up in 2 forms, 8'x18" straight or 7'x5' L.

Perhaps not John, the expenses for the show will leave me out of pocket if i take my normal number of operators. I don't want to take any fewer as it's a 3 day show. I'm waiting for a response to see what can be done but if they can't cover everything then i can't afford to go this year. Maybe i'll defer until next year when we've paid for our wedding and i'll have a little more spare cash.

Best wishes for the wedding, but after that, spare cash???????????????????????????????????????

Cant comment layoutwise,but also have wedding planned for this year and the phrase "HOW MUCH ???" seems to be cropping up with appalling regularity--mostly-indeed entirely, from me....Well-I can`t work any more hours,I wont sell any of my trains or guitars,my motorbikes are long gone and what might be called `negotiable affection` has proved to be a non starter...........Looks like a low key sort of event then...although having my own band play halves the entertainment costs (plus I get a good long time without having to speak to anyone )..and I get to hear ( and indeed play ) my favourite songs .........

But back to the layout-a wonderful exercise in minisamalism-(horrible spelling I know ) -just moving into the slim line as a rest from the big layout and this is especially inspiring-How to make a little seem like a lot-Thank you

ATB

Nick

Thanks Nick! Weddings are b@&£/y expensive, although I've been informed by SWMBO's friends that ours falls into the average UK wedding cost. Not that that helps! Still, it'll be worth it.

Thanks for the comments about the layout, I'm always surprised by the number of people who say it's much smaller than they expected from the photos.

There's plenty more information on the layout and how it was built on NGRM (link in my signature).

Archived