153's moving to Scotland to work on WHL

How involved is it to add RETB to a unit?

They better make sure they have them the right way round, I wouldn’t like to be in the small cab of a 153 all the way from Queen Street to Mallaig

Adding the Class 153 between the two Class 156 cars will eliminate both issues.

Might as well get some further use out of the dogboxes - better that than early one way trip to the scrappie

If only there was a TOC in need of units (GWR), where the staff were conversant with them (GWR), due to delays in the stock cascades (GWR), where it looked like there would be a severe shortage of stock in the South West of their operating area (GWR) as stock goes off to its new home before the replacements are in place (GWR).

If only I could think of a TOC in need, but I am sure the holiday makers in the South West left on the platform because they cant fit on the trains will be happy the Scots with their bikes and rucksacks have plenty of room.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

They better make sure they have them the right way round, I wouldn’t like to be in the small cab of a 153 all the way from Queen Street to Mallaig

There is actually more knee room in the small end than there is at the big end because the big end has the isolating cocks where you would put your knees,a few have been modified to give more knee room but not many.

As for poor access at the small end, simply rip out the existing toilet and cycle/luggage area and access is much improved plus it means they dont drop 'mess' on the track.

Edited by royaloak

If only there was a TOC in need of units (GWR), where the staff were conversant with them (GWR), due to delays in the stock cascades (GWR), where it looked like there would be a severe shortage of stock in the South West of their operating area (GWR) as stock goes off to its new home before the replacements are in place (GWR).

If only I could think of a TOC in need, but I am sure the holiday makers in the South West left on the platform because they cant fit on the trains will be happy the Scots with their bikes and rucksacks have plenty of room.

If you replace GWR with EMT and south west with east coast you're on the right track:-) Edited by great central

There is actually more knee room in the small end than there is at the big end because the big end has the isolating cocks where you would put your knees,a few have been modified to give more knee room but not many.

As for poor access at the small end, simply rip out the existing toilet and cycle/luggage area and access is much improved plus it means they dont drop 'mess' on the track.

But if you leave the loo in and use the big end door for access it also gives an extra toilet on each train for those long journeys

I wonder how long it wil be before the 153s will be regarded as having been "iconic" units for the  Cornish branches and tears are shed for their demise? After all it is quite a long time since they first hits those metals.

Think I am already at that point !

• Like 1

But if you leave the loo in and use the big end door for access it also gives an extra toilet on each train for those long journeys

Which dumps the crap onto the track, something we are trying to stop.

Which dumps the crap onto the track, something we are trying to stop.

No more randomly growing tomato plants :(

I have actually been there, on the ballast - directly in the right/wrong place when someone did pull the chain, fortunately the unit was stationary at the time; but its a pretty clear memory for sure!

If only there was a TOC in need of units (GWR), where the staff were conversant with them (GWR), due to delays in the stock cascades (GWR), where it looked like there would be a severe shortage of stock in the South West of their operating area (GWR) as stock goes off to its new home before the replacements are in place (GWR).

I don't know where the vehicles are coming from as I can't see the actual article, but I doubt ScotRail will need a huge number of them for WHL services.

And the deadline for PRM TSI compliance is looming - the other TOCs who could theoretically use them might not have an option of using the 153s they already have, never mind any extra ones.

I don't know where the vehicles are coming from as I can't see the actual article, but I doubt ScotRail will need a huge number of them for WHL services.

And the deadline for PRM TSI compliance is looming - the other TOCs who could theoretically use them might not have an option of using the 153s they already have, never mind any extra ones.

The Scotsman article mentions five Class 153 cars coming to Scotland.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

just to say fitting 153 inside 156 to give a 3 car unit has been mentioned several times to DfT ( daft fuzzy thinking) as a way of getting 75 seats and a toilet into trains - the toliet dump requirements and lack of space on the 153 do give a problem so unless the voyager solution of above floor tanks is used then I would think removiing and having "shock horror" luggage and bike space to match a BCK - remember  those folks is the way forward- too much thinking to see both 156 vehicles fitted with an all user toilet to give best reliabilty for the public.

Even last week a 220 ran Bournemouth - Oxford with no toliets due door ripped on one and bowls jammed on other two - a kind fitter cleared bowls - best no to ask how - I guess first blockage was an item not from a human body as is often the case sadly...- whole new topic that one.

It would be good to see one preserved - match up with GWR razorcars, 121s to show "progress"...

In that case why have GWR taken their eye off the ball and let the lease lapse?

By all accounts, GWR have not tried to extend the lease until very recently, the lease expired a month or 2 ago but was kept live week to week with the agreement of Northern, to whom the 5*153s pass to first before moving onwards to Scotrail.

GWR do not need 153s once the cascade happens nor are they in the long term plan.

I don’t think blaming the rosco or Scotrail is reasonable in this case.

On the subject of dumping cr@p on the track-do Mk3's have chemical waste retention tanks as standard?

Only the sleepers and maybe Chiltern’s power door sets.

MK3 HST trailers are being fitted when power doors added. Only room for 1 tank so only 1 toilet can be fitted.

MK3 LHCS not fitted though Anglia were supposed to be doing theirs.

• RMweb Gold

Hi E3109 .

That said, I'm all for getting the max out of them, the above issue apart they aren't too bad.
Makes me wonder why they were ever de-formed from 2-car 155s?

In answer to your question - Asbestos... Regional Railways was faced with the mass withdrawal of sets and spliting the then 35 unreliable 155s gave 70 "reliable" single cars - go figure !! As one of RR central power controllers I recall the post work party when the first conversion got round a 3500 mile exam cycle with out being a failure or swapped out for return to the Tysesley mothership! 

When I put one through the Severn tunnel Railtrack Swindon were decidedly negative saying what happens if its engine shut down- answer same as a class 47 - you go rescue! the 153 went through.  

I did feel for the guards on the Stourbridge town car having a 153 for four hours !  I think I will symapthise   with WHL passengers as much..  

Only the sleepers and maybe Chiltern’s power door sets.

MK3 HST trailers are being fitted when power doors added. Only room for 1 tank so only 1 toilet can be fitted.

MK3 LHCS not fitted though Anglia were supposed to be doing theirs.

442s have retention tanks as well, I believe.

This has been discussed for a while on the WNXX forum, the idea is that they strip out half the seats and use them as a centre car (to avoid using the small additional cab) .  I must admit that I found it surprising, as I was under the impression that the 156s were being retired from the West Highland in favour of "scenic trains" (widely thought to be 158s with modified seating, but clearly the plans have changed.

Jim

So much for scenic, Refurbed 158s have a much more improved "Window to Seat" ratio than the Refurbed 156s

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how long it wil be before the 153s will be regarded as having been "iconic" units for the  Cornish branches and tears are shed for their demise? After all it is quite a long time since they first hits those metals.

Think I am already at that point !

Not by me for sure. Stuffy, cramped and painfully slow boarding/unloading due to the narrow doorways.

The other West Country staple, the 150, is stuffy with the windows shut (not an issue in winter) and horribly noisy with them open.

I never thought I'd say it, but now most of the Exmouth and Barnstaple lines are CWR, I think I prefer the 143s over either...…

No wonder we love our 159s on the Salisbury line (so long as the aircon is working).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Posted this on WNXX and Scot-rail and it has raised a few comments -

I am still a bit curious as to how this is going to be worked. The last diagrams I had access to dated from 2011 and unless they have been modified substantially there are nine diagrams covering the WHL 156s with workings to Anniesland and other destinations between WHL services in order to maximize utilisation. Does this mean that the Diagrams will be altered so that the 156s with the 153 inserted will be restricted to WHL services only? With only five class 153s being inserted it would appear that there will still be standard two car 156s working over the line, so they may need to create a sub class (say 156/9) to allow the controllers correctly assign units.

And can a Hornby class 153 be inserted into a Realtrack 156:-)

Jim

This quote made me chuckle: 

“It is our aspiration the first dedicated carriage for cyclists and other sports enthusiasts will enter service by summer next year. This unique initiative, a UK first, is supporting improved transport connectivity and active travel choices."

I suppose my memories us sticking our bikes in the guards van and heading off across the country for cycling trips during the late 80s are a weird delusion in an addled brain and never really happened. Granted, the van was never a 'dedicated cycle van' but even so.

Now all people will have to do is get their bikes to Glasgow somehow...

• Like 2

Posted this on WNXX and Scot-rail and it has raised a few comments -

I am still a bit curious as to how this is going to be worked. The last diagrams I had access to dated from 2011 and unless they have been modified substantially there are nine diagrams covering the WHL 156s with workings to Anniesland and other destinations between WHL services in order to maximize utilisation. Does this mean that the Diagrams will be altered so that the 156s with the 153 inserted will be restricted to WHL services only? With only five class 153s being inserted it would appear that there will still be standard two car 156s working over the line, so they may need to create a sub class (say 156/9) to allow the controllers correctly assign units.

And can a Hornby class 153 be inserted into a Realtrack 156:-)

Jim

Ha I bet that raised a few comments :D

Not on Scot-rail anymore, had to bite my tongue too often since started working there

“It is our aspiration the first dedicated carriage for cyclists and other sports enthusiasts will enter service by summer next year. This unique initiative, a UK first, is supporting improved transport connectivity and active travel choices."

I suppose my memories us sticking our bikes in the guards van and heading off across the country for cycling trips during the late 80s are a weird delusion in an addled brain and never really happened. Granted, the van was never a 'dedicated cycle van' but even so.

Here is your answer - Just posted on this forum - cycle storage in the DVT will get you to Edinburgh, only need to get across to Glasgow, the Forth and Clyde Canal towpath is a good route!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134204-ecml-franchise-to-be-broucht-back-under-public-ownership/?p=3203763

• RMweb Premium

It's like the scenic carriages that they were talking about and have been mentioned in this thread - IIRC it was just seats all lined up with the windows, something that was once the norm anyway.

Not being particularly overwhelmed with rail travel since the demise of the carriage, I considered the 156's far superior in comfort than the newer 158's back in 1993.

If the 153's are leaving Wales, I wonder what will operate the Blaenau Ffestiniog branch? Back to 150's?

Edited by coachmann