Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Recommendations for garden shredder?

Metr0Land

• RMweb Gold

I've long thought about getting one of these but the Bosch ones are say £175 street price. I was considering biting the bullet but customer reviews on Amazon seem to suggest Bosch are trading on their name and the quality isn't what it was.

The 'budget' ones of say £100 are equally confusing as half the reviews seem to say they're ok for the price and the other half seem to say they'd made a false economy and regretted buying.

Can anyone recommend one please that they have personally used?

What are you shredding is the first question.

For pruned off branches and heavier hedge trimmings, the Bosch design with the meshed cogs can't be beat in my experience. It needs to be fed in an 'organised' fashion to avoid jamming, but reverse clears that up quickly while you get the feel for it.

For leaves we have a Stihl electric 'sucky-blowy thing' as my dear wife calls it. She got it cheap on clearance in winter 2017 and loves it. Blows most of the leaves back into the woods where they originated, shreds small and bags any that are more sensibly picked up. She uses it to vacuum out her own and her sister's car interiors too, after 'agricultural' loads (chooks and bunnies, don't ask).

I've been using a Bosch one for many years.  It has the advantage of not using blades, which would wear down and need to be replaced.  However, recently (bear in mind after several years' use), it doesn't shred cleanly and often squeezes more than it shreds.  When working properly, it will take branches as big as can be fed in at the top (about 40mm diameter).  Lots of leaves tend to clog up the mechanism, as will any twigs/leafy branches that stick in the output chute.

For leaves I use a Bosch vacuum/shredder, which replaced a B&Q branded thing that blew its motor after about a year.  No complaints with the Bosch.

I have had a Sovereign SD2402 shredder for many years, and have no complaints. 

It looks a lot like the Bosch (except it is orange rather than green), but is usually about £50 cheaper in the shops. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A lot of the low price units use a spinning blade which the waste is feed down through and you spend most of the time clearing jams. Better design is the cog type much less jamming with these. If you are looking for shredding large amounts them budget around £600.00 plus for electric or heck of a lot more for petrol. One of my customers has a elite electric unit which cost around £700.00 but is very good and performs almost as well as a £1500.00 bearcat model I use at times

• RMweb Premium

I bought a Florabest shredder from a German store beginning with the letter 'A'. Lovely bit of kit. Goes through branches like sh!t through a goose.

Some years ago I bought a Gardenline one from Aldi.  It's a 2800 watt drum shredder and cost less than £100.  It doesn't get used often, but when it is (like last week) it works well and, as you say, appears to be a good piece of kit.  I don't know which company made it but a lot of Aldi (and Lidl!) garden products are made by Einhell.

DT.

P.S.  I think if your shredder is a Florabest one you probably bought it from the German store beginning with L!

Edited by Torper
  • Like 1

It is very easy to underestimate the size you actually need when the branches are up in the air still.

Shredders don't like being run on the maximum size for long periods, so if you have a lot that is the maximum size for the feeder think about getting something bigger to save the motor (and having to clear jams).

The ones with blades are easily sharpened on a grinding wheel, or replacements are usually available for less than the cost of getting them sharpened professionally.

No experience of the Bosch, but people I know that have them wish they had something bigger!

Some years ago I bought a Gardenline one from Aldi.  It's a 2800 watt drum shredder and cost less than £100.  It doesn't get used often, but when it is (like last week) it works well and, as you say, appears to be a good piece of kit.  I don't know which company made it but a lot of Aldi (and Lidl!) garden products are made by Einhell.

DT.

P.S.  I think if your shredder is a Florabest one you probably bought it from the German store beginning with L!

It might even be a Gardenline. I shop at both Lidl and Aldi regularly as I am a big fan of their tools. The shredder is square, upright on a two wheel frame, and top fed with a plastic pusher provided. Its high enough on the frame to get a garden bag underneath for Council refuse collection.

Not sure if you have Ozito brand up there but I bought their 'Silent Shredder' for under $250 because it had a 2 year no questions asked full replacement-if-it-broke warranty.

Fully expected it to give up the ghost after a couple of days but figured I'd just get a new one.

What a surprise it was... Its one of the drum style ones so is surprisingly quiet, and doesn't ping things back at you like the spinning blade ones do.  Goes through anything including hardwood tomato stakes and Jarrah and is the only shredder I've ever had that does palm fronds - the others just ended up with them tangled around the blades. I have had it for around 7 years now and its never baulked at shredding anything that will fit into it. You can stick a 6 foot branch into the top and it'll just feed itself through.

The only bad point is that whoever was in charge of design decided to make the output chute tapered to be smaller as it goes down....

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Gold

Used to use one of these, http://www.benburgess.co.uk/ourservices/groundscareequipment/horticultural_nm/view.aspx?productId=cac9f66e-9546-4a37-9396-0cabbf35d8e9 brilliand bit of kit if you've got 4 grand to spend...

Alternatively one of these may be cheaper, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Hausziege_04.jpg/1200px-Hausziege_04.jpg I mean, look at what it's done to that tree!

Never used any of the little diy ones I'm afraid.