Wessex Class 143 - Realtrack re-paint

Hi,

As I've mentioned over on my Portwey thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125196-portwey-wessextrains-oo/page-2 was happy to get a RealTrack Class 143 unit at DEMU's Showcase. Having made a start over there thought it worth a separate thread.

Minus all the vinyls Wessex liveries are pretty basic, simply a body colour with contrasting doors so the basic repaint was quite straightforward. As it was basically the sides and and bit on the inner ends that need re-painting the roof, cab front and inner ends were masked up to retain the factory finish. The basic livery is yellow doors and blue body. As no-one really knows what colours Wessex used I decided on a warning panel yellow for the doors and a dark blue from Humbrol, gloss finish which at least provides a decent surface for the transfers. As the vinyl on the DSML covers the toilet window that section of the glazing was cut off and secured separately. It may well need a thin blanking over the top to get the levels closer but we'll see.

kvCjtQZ.jpg

Whether it's the 150's with their "feathered" vinyls, the 153's with either their runic markings on the black version or the odd celtic writing above the windows on the red one all Wessex units seem to have an awkward bit. On the 143 it's the writing on the window droplights.  Whilst the graphic bits are home baked I needed some custom decals for the writing so got that done at the same time courtesy of John at Precision labels.  Rather than paint the droplights I've a sheet of thin painted plasticard to put the text on and put behind the windows.

ItDnvPh.jpg

Been tackling the droplights this afternoon. As mentioned some thin plasticard painted blue and marked out for the window spacings, apply transfers and check against glazing. Actually not too bad a job and a passable result. Securing it behind the glazing will probably stretch my ingenuity !

84h2K1W.jpg

Cheers

Stu

• Like 5

Quick update.

Thanks Steve, was half hoping to get this ready for Wrecrail but next week's a nightmare so rather unlikely. Anyhow.......

Glazing temporarily popped into a body to see  how it looks. Not a perfect representation (see Martyn's pics https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailwayPics-2/Wessex-Trains/Wessex-Trains-class-143/)but better than not trying at all.

Rough print of graphics to get the size right - or wrong in this case, still needs tweaking a bit.

WU231kw.jpg

Stu

• Like 2

Guest teacupteacup

Quick update.

Thanks Steve, was half hoping to get this ready for Wrecrail but next week's a nightmare so rather unlikely. Anyhow.......

Glazing temporarily popped into a body to see  how it looks. Not a perfect representation (see Martyn's pics https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailwayPics-2/Wessex-Trains/Wessex-Trains-class-143/)but better than not trying at all.

Rough print of graphics to get the size right - or wrong in this case, still needs tweaking a bit.

WU231kw.jpg

Stu

I thought those graphics looked a bit Star Wars-ish until I looked at the prototype photos!   Looking great

I thought those graphics looked a bit Star Wars-ish until I looked at the prototype photos!   Looking great

Now there's a thought. There'd be a certain irony having the Millennium Falcon on the side of a Pacer...!!

Having sourced some more white decal paper have printed these off.

post-82-0-38592300-1530121019.jpg

Rule 1 - print off more than you need - accidents happen (voice of experience here)

Cheeers

Stu

Hi,

Managed to scrounge a couple of hours to do a bit more.

Thanks to all who've commented or tagged this. Progress with the graphics etc though still some way off completion.

post-82-0-54663800-1530193577_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-95547700-1530193601_thumb.jpg

With glazing temporarily popped in to see how it looks

post-82-0-49041200-1530193628_thumb.jpg

On my way to Wrecrail tomorrow, should be fun..... :-)

Stu

• Like 6

• 4 months later...