Heath Town and other signalling diversions

5BarVT

2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I use 6mm ply baseboards and all PCBs are fixed with 9mm no.4 pan head self taps with 5mm spacers.

Paul,

Just for comparison I use 9.5mm No.0 pan head self-tappers with some silicone tubing (aquarium stuff) cut to ~2mm thick as a spacer. 

2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I also use P clips sometimes (see the black cable at the top) to give a bit of extra restraint.

I attach my cables with P-clips (3.5mm to 5mm depending on number of cables), again with 9.5mm No.0 pan head self-tapper screws.

I've found said screws to be very secure into plywood (6mm, 9mm or 12mm) and timber battons. I much prefer screws as I can easily remove them to adjust cable routes or add/remove components.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I’d tried a loco out a few days ago and it was very stop and go.  In places I could feel the dirt on the rails.  Today, I ran over all the tracks on the two completed boards using the back of an off cut of hardboard. Now the loco runs beautifully smoothly and at very slow speed.

I can run trains while I work as long as I don’t mind up to 7 on 7 separate lines!

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Added missing words.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

MORE TRACK LAYING

1659051939_210807Tracklaying.JPG.dc7208c965ee25cbf2b54c3466dfb06d.JPG

Track laying on the lifting flap continues.  Under the weights are a first for me - a point across a baseboard joint.  It's well glued to the foam and I'm going to see how well that works.  Screws can be added later if it starts to move.

Also under the plywood there will be an oblique join (66 degrees to the perpendicular).  Not done one that shallow before and will be much less tolerant of slight misalignment: I'm intending to use sliding fishplates to hold in line when I get to that bit.  (2-3 weeks away probably.)

Paul. 

Edited by 5BarVT
Photo reload.
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Under the weights are a first for me - a point across a baseboard joint.  It's well glued to the foam and I'm going to see how well that works.

Paul,

I can't see it being a problem. I've installed all my turnouts by that method and not had any problems. I hope you don't mean that the turnout is 'part on' / 'part off' a baseboard? I was careful in the baseboard / layout design to ensure all my turnouts are 'on' a single baseboard, although a few are right up to the baseboard edge! Indeed, I have crossovers where the 2 turnouts are on adjacent baseboards.

Also under the plywood there will be an oblique join (66 degrees to the perpendicular).  Not done one that shallow before and will be much less tolerant of slight misalignment: I'm intending to use sliding fishplates to hold in line when I get to that bit.

I've quite a few baseboard joins where the track crosses at an oblique angle. All mine are aligned using the brass screws method, and the baseboards are joined by M8 bolts into M8 tee-nuts. On the baseboard without the tee-nut I inserted an M8 metal sleeve. In combination the alignment is maintained throughout many baseboard dis-assemblies and re-assemblies. None of mine are hinged though. However, I'm sure the same method would work with hinges.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ISW said:

I hope you don't mean that the turnout is 'part on' / 'part off' a baseboard?

I’m afraid I do!  There are two that straddle the hinge on the lifting section.  I’ve made sure that the cut is on the ‘solid’ section of the turnout between the heel and the V.  Should be no different to two separate lines crossing the join, just interlaced.

One only loses me two locos worth of storage if it doesn’t work (a shame because I’m a bit short of loco space) but the other results in a major redesign and reconstruct.  :-o

Paul.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

I’m afraid I do!  There are two that straddle the hinge on the lifting section.  I’ve made sure that the cut is on the ‘solid’ section of the turnout between the heel and the V.  Should be no different to two separate lines crossing the join, just interlaced.

Paul,

Yikes! I wish you all the best with that one. Do post a photo or two to show your 'solution'. Did you at least manage to align the baseboard join with the existing cuts in the 'inside intermediate rails' (the ones with the little jumper wires on the underside). If not aren't you going to end up with 4 short bits of rail?

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, ISW said:

Paul,

Yikes! I wish you all the best with that one. Do post a photo or two to show your 'solution'. Did you at least manage to align the baseboard join with the existing cuts in the 'inside intermediate rails' (the ones with the little jumper wires on the underside). If not aren't you going to end up with 4 short bits of rail?

Ian

Hi Ian,
No!

One of the points is an older one from the previous layout that I hadn’t got as far as modifying so the closure rails were still continuous.  The other is a new type with the pre cut gaps that now have a big gob of solder across the underside of the foot at the cut.  They are both the same hand so I selected the position to give a longer ‘short’ bit on the pre cut set.

I’m hopeful, but not certain!  Watch this space.

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One only loses me two locos worth of storage if it doesn’t work (a shame because I’m a bit short of loco space) but the other results in a major redesign and reconstruct.  :-o

Paul.

Shouldn't be a problem. I know a number of modellers who've done that. As long as the baseboard joint is secure it will work fine.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/08/2021 at 22:08, ISW said:

Yikes!

Do post a photo or two to show your 'solution'.

As requested!

Some have been cut with the slitting disc, others by a razor saw.

623016737_210808Join.JPG.04c2a00a762095b7549663baf8370a87.JPG

A test coach has be pushed through by hand (or at least one bogie thereof) and all seems well.

Here it is with the flap slightly raised.

1655806308_210808FlapRaised.JPG.63d33cdeac49d49a8e20707a88a35076.JPG

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Photo reload.
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

As requested!

Some have been cut with the slitting disc, others by a razor saw.

Paul,

Bravo for; a) taking the plunge and actually installing such an arrangement and, b) making it work. That's a new 'trick' to add to my database.

You seem to have not used the 'soldered brass screws' method on the 2 turnouts. I assume you consider the through timbers will be sufficient?

Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, ISW said:

You seem to have not used the 'soldered brass screws' method on the 2 turnouts. I assume you consider the through timbers will be sufficient?

Hi Ian,

Not just the through timbers but also the ‘longitudinal beams’ from the point baseplate.  On my previous layout I had setrack glued to cork tiles and they were as solid as a rock.  This time it’s on foam so can be pushed out of line, but I’m hoping that won’t happen in operation.  Back up is to insert screws on the outside of the outer rails to provide lateral restraint but having separated them now and tested the sideways fixing I’m happy that things will be OK.

In doing this I’m conscious of CJ Freezer’s ‘rule’ of not putting points on a lifting flap.  I have 11 and 2 halves!

Having had a separable layout last time my confidence was that although a lifting flap, its construction is identical to the other boards which have happily had points on them with no issues.

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Hi Ian,

Not just the through timbers but also the ‘longitudinal beams’ from the point baseplate.  On my previous layout I had setrack glued to cork tiles and they were as solid as a rock.  This time it’s on foam so can be pushed out of line, but I’m hoping that won’t happen in operation.  Back up is to insert screws on the outside of the outer rails to provide lateral restraint but having separated them now and tested the sideways fixing I’m happy that things will be OK.

In doing this I’m conscious of CJ Freezer’s ‘rule’ of not putting points on a lifting flap.  I have 11 and 2 halves!

Having had a separable layout last time my confidence was that although a lifting flap, its construction is identical to the other boards which have happily had points on them with no issues.

Paul.

I assume you have some sort of dowel system alongside the hinges? Or maybe you have already said that and I missed it.

Andy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

I assume you have some sort of dowel system alongside the hinges? Or maybe you have already said that and I missed it.

Andy

Dowels most definitely.  I’m very keen on DCC Concepts dowels.  I’ve not espoused them on this thread but they did appear in passing here.

They are the blue bits sticking out of the board on the right.

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Dowels most definitely.  I’m very keen on DCC Concepts dowels.  I’ve not espoused them on this thread but they did appear in passing here.

They are the blue bits sticking out of the board on the right.

Paul.

Interested to know they are compatible with hinges - I suppose you have enough slop in the hinge to allow the dowels to locate despite coming in at an angle. And I assume you again use the over centre clips to lock it all off.

Edited by Andy Keane

Paul.

Paul,

I agree with you on that. My layout is built in separate baseboards, and some have been in/out more times than I can count for various reasons. No problems with movement of track glued to foam underlay.

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Hi Ian,

Paul.

In that case, I'd have been inclined to put an inch or two of cork in place of the foam on either side of the joint but see how it goes in practice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/08/2021 at 19:51, Andy Keane said:

And I assume you again use the over centre clips to lock it all off.

Yes, except for the lifting flaps where I’m hoping that gravity will do its thing.

Paul.

33 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Yes, except for the lifting flaps where I’m hoping that gravity will do its thing.

Paul.

Paul,

That's until it doesn't, usually when/if the timber/plywood warps:O. If you have the clips it's probably a good idea to fit them.

Ian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

All the track on the lifting flap is laid.  Just need to add droppers to 12 off 15mm closure rails.  Half of me says can’t be bothered and I’ll get away without: the other half says you’ll regret it later!

Fortunately (?) it will be easier if I finish tracklaying on the hinge board and wire it up first.

Paul.

• Like 3

All the track on the lifting flap is laid.  Just need to add droppers to 12 off 15mm closure rails.  Half of me says can’t be bothered and I’ll get away without: the other half says you’ll regret it later!

Fortunately (?) it will be easier if I finish tracklaying on the hinge board and wire it up first.

Paul.

Paul,

I worked on the principle of 1 dropper for each rail on a baseboard, regardless of any steel fishplates. However, there is never more than 1 fishplate between any point and a dropper (the longest baseboard is only 1.5m). In addition, I had droppers to each and every turnout. Worked for me.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Half of the 8 short (DMU) sidings on the hinge board are laid, including droppers.  Hope to finish the rest tomorrow, then I can flip it and wire up underneath.

All that leaves is to wire the lifting flap, including 12 point motors, so not fast, before TESTING can begin.

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

STEADY PROGRESS

The remaining track in the DMU/Loco sidings has been laid.  Tomorrow is connecting the droppers, adding the bus wiring, and then the control system.

Paul.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, ISW said:

Paul,

Any chance of a Steady Photo of the steady progress?

Ian

Tomorrow, if I remember, once the weights have been removed.

Paul.