Replica Railways 63ft Mk1 Suburban coaches

rembrow

Have started this topic, as I couldn't find any prior thread for these coaches, as produced by Replica Railways. These models were produced in the UK about 15 years ago and were of the longer chassis BR Mark 1 suburban non corridor type, that were supplied to the Southern and Western Regions. The Southern Region allocations were formed into 3 carriage sets of Brake Second/Composite/Brake Second with the addition of loose open Seconds. The sets were based at Exmouth Junction and passed to the Western Region on the regional reorganisation of the West of England services.

Replica Railways produced these in various 3 carriage sets for BR Southern crimson and green liveries and Western Region maroon. I believe the loose open seconds were only available in BR Southern green. 

In model terms they were on par with Bachmann's 57ft Mk 1 Suburban models, in that all detail on the chassis and body is moulded on, however the Replica models had flush glazing. The paint finishes were good and the mouldings were good. I previously bought a green 3 carriage set and 3 green loose seconds. They were difficult to come by and I missed getting a BR Southern set in crimson. Currently the models can be purchased in knocked down form from Replica, however the bodies are not numbered.

The point of this update is that earlier this year I was speaking to Replica to order one of their 63 ft motorised chassis, and happened to say I was thinking of buying a 3 carriage knocked down set in BR Crimson, when the chap I was speaking to said that if I waited until the summer, they would probably be able to put together a set for me, using tampo printed bodies that they still had.

I e-mailed Replica last week and had reply from Gareth, who advised that they had tampo printed bodies for the BR crimson coaches they had previously produced as Southern sets 153 and 155. These sets are long lived in crimson, not being repainted into green until Oct 1962. He said the bodies had slight paint imperfections, but not significant enough to class them as seconds. They have all parts available, apart from the glazing, however a new stock of glazing mouldings is expected in early July. They quoted a price of £75 -£80 for the set, which I believe to be very reasonable and it will be presented in one of the original 3 carriage retail boxes, but without branding.

Thought I'd add this info in case others are interested in these unusual types. 

Replica can be contacted as follows (from their website) 

Replica Railways
Unit 46
BSS House
Cheney Manor
SWINDON
SN2 2PJ

E-mail: enquiries@replicarailways.co.uk 

Telephone: 01793 642 594 (answer machine active out-of-hours)

If you contact them by phone I've found them to be very helpful and giving of time (usual disclaimer, no links to Replica)

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 2

Have started this topic, as I couldn't find any prior thread for these coaches, as produced by Replica Railways. These models were produced in the UK about 15 years ago and were of the longer chassis BR Mark 1 suburban non corridor type, that were supplied to the Southern and Western Regions. The Southern Region allocations were formed into 3 carriage sets of Brake Second/Composite/Brake Second with the addition of loose open Seconds. The sets were based at Exmouth Junction and passed to the Western Region on the regional reorganisation of the West of England services.

Replica Railways produced these in various 3 carriage sets for BR Southern crimson and green liveries and Western Region maroon. I believe the loose open seconds were only available in BR Southern green. 

In model terms they were on par with Bachmann's 57ft Mk 1 Suburban models, in that all detail on the chassis and body is moulded on, however the Replica models had flush glazing. The paint finishes were good and the mouldings were good. I previously bought a green 3 carriage set and 3 green loose seconds. They were difficult to come by and I missed getting a BR Southern set in crimson. Currently the models can be purchased in knocked down form from Replica, however the bodies are not numbered.

The point of this update is that earlier this year I was speaking to Replica to order one of their 63 ft motorised chassis, and happened to say I was thinking of buying a 3 carriage set in BR Crimson, when the chap I was speaking to said that if I waited until the summer, they would probably be able to put together a set for me, using tampo printed bodies that they still had.

I e-mailed Replica last week and had reply from Gareth, who advised that they had tampo printed bodies for the BR crimson coaches they had previously produced as Southern sets 153 and 155. These sets are long lived in crimson, not being repainted into green until Oct 1962. He said the bodies had slight paint imperfections, but not significant enough to class them as seconds. They have all parts available, apart from the glazing, however a new stock of glazing mouldings is expected in early July. They quoted a price of £75 -£80 for the set, which I believe to be very reasonable and it will be presented in one of the original 3 carriage retail boxes, but without branding.

Thought I'd add this info in case others are interested in these unusual types. 

Replica can be contacted as follows (from their website) 

Replica Railways

Unit 46

BSS House

Cheney Manor

SWINDON

SN2 2PJ

E-mail: enquiries@replicarailways.co.uk 

Telephone: 01793 642 594 (answer machine active out-of-hours)

If you contact them by phone I've found them to be very helpful and giving of time (usual disclaimer, no links to Replica)

As a matter of interest, does the Shawplan Lazerglaze for the Mk1 non corridors also suitable for these ? If the window dimensions are identical then obviously.  

As a matter of interest, does the Shawplan Lazerglaze for the Mk1 non corridors also suitable for these ? If the window dimensions are identical then obviously.  

Sorry, I don't know. Replica do market the Mk1 suburban  glazing mouldings as accessories and state - 

'Will fit Replica (U.K) MK1 'suburban' coaches

Instructions for adapting glazing to fit Bachmann 57' MK1 'suburban' coaches included'

• RMweb Premium

Possibly not.

The Replica glazing fits the Bachmann 57 ft coaches with a slight bit of filing to the corners of the Bachmann windows.

• RMweb Premium

There is something not quite right with them IMO - it shows up in the thread on the Kernow Bachmann 205 where their is a posting showing one inserted to make a 3 car set and it plainly stands out as being different.

Despite the corners of the windows being differing radii on the Replica and Bachmann hauled suburbans I have successfully matched the two types in cut and shut 25 KV EMU conversions.

I did consider the Bachmann EMUs and DEMUs as other possible donors until it was pointed out that the windows doors and door furniture were slightly different, in fact quite visibly even between Bachmanns own short non gangwayed coaches. There was no difference in real life. 

I don't know which is the least correct, be it the hauled coaches (both Bachmann and Replica) or the multiple units but what should be the same is not.

Both Southern Pride and Comet/Wizard do the BR long underframe non-gangway coaches both need the doors handles etc added. I am not sure of the availability of the DC kits models , they too need door furniture added. Oddly the Replica windows are a good fit for the DC kits models.

Edited by Clive Mortimore