1960s/70s plant.

Mad McCann

One thing that strikes me, given that modelling industrial locations in the 1960s and ‘70s is growing in popularity, is the lack of truly suitable construction plant for the era. As a 7 year old in 1971, my family relocated to the still new town of East Kilbride where the scheme we lived in was still in the midst of construction. I started to take an interest in the machines I saw going about their work in the area. There were D8 and 9 Cats; some with blades, others dragging scraper boxes. Other machines concerned themselves with digging and loading trucks; these were the likes of International BTD6s, Hymac 580Cs and Cat loading shovels of a model number I never discovered. Other plant could be seen such as tracked 360s from Poclain and Liebherr.

These types seemed to dominate in those pre-Komatsu days.

It would be nice to see some of these signature vehicles from that 1965-75 period in model form and it strikes me as a little surprising that the field has received so little attention to date.

Davy.

• Like 3

Look up ROSENCOMBE MODELS, available through Scalelink. They do a wide range of plant equipment from the era in question, as whitemetal kits in 1/76 scale. Langley also have a few suitable items in their range. Lone Star did a very nice Euclid TC-12 tractor in their Impy Roadmasters series in the 1960s, and some of the early Matchbox King Size (Foden FD6/45 dump truck, Allis-Chalmers scraper etc) were to 1/76 scale.

Got to agree , it's a hole in the market that I am surprised Oxford haven't filled .

Dumpers , compressors , mixers, road rollers , truck  cranes, crawler  cranes, truck mixers , Drotts,  wheeled loaders , JCB 3C's  I could go on :)

I know they have made  a early  50s JCB but this was not a very common sight .

Edited by jcb 3c

Funny I don't mind messing about converting Ready to Plonk models but I can't be bothered fiddling about making white metal kits, impatience and laziness probably 

Making kits doesn't have to be fiddly or difficult. But kit and scratch building will open up more possibilities and a larger range than just RTP or bashing/converting them. Plus often no more skills or additional time is necessary and it is very rewarding and satisfying.

G

Surprisingly, googling Hy-Mac doesn’t turn up an awful lot of info.

Also surprising that no-one has modelled the big D-8s and 9s as an injection kit in 1/35 or 1/76, given their extensive military use too.