Points/Switches in level crossings

I was wondering it points were ever built into UK level crossings? I have done a search on rmweb and google with negative results so I am guess that there was a need to do such a thing or it was not possible? due to complexity of track work and road vehicles.

Look forward to advice and or evidence of this as would help me with a track plan..

tom.

Bob Essery's 'Railway & Signalling Track Plans' has a photo of LLanelly station around 1960 with the switch blades on one side of the crossing and the common crossing on the other. I'll scan the image and send, if you like.

Bob Essery's 'Railway & Signalling Track Plans' has a photo of LLanelly station around 1960 with the switch blades on one side of the crossing and the common crossing on the other. I'll scan the image and send, if you like.

Hi Chris

Thanks for the quick response, would love to see picture but would it be breaking copyright to send me? I don't want you to end up on wrong side of the law! :)

tom.

I was wondering it points were ever built into UK level crossings? I have done a search on rmweb and google with negative results so I am guess that there was a need to do such a thing or it was not possible? due to complexity of track work and road vehicles.

Look forward to advice and or evidence of this as would help me with a track plan..

tom.

Pretty sure the answer is yes, but can't bring a photo to mind, except for Pelham Street in Lincoln, which shows a full diamond crossing.

However, unless you are modelling in an exact scale/gauge combination, such as P4, the overscale flangeways and switch openings are going to look a bit odd.

• RMweb Gold

tom.

The simple answer is 'yes' but if we are talking about gated level crossings as opposed to inset track in yards on on quays etc I think you will find every effort was made to try to keep the switch toes clear of the level crossing if at all possible in order to be able to maintain them. But no doubt there was probably an example somewhere with the switch toes in the level crossing surface (which would have been timbers in that situation of course).

Archived