Footbridge attached to brick railway bridge?

ed1234

Hello all

I am in the middle of researching a diorama being the Dinmore Tunnel (south end) and the first couple of hundred metres of line towards Hereford (past the old Dinmore station). I think I have found virtually every online image of this short section of track.

Anyway - at the southern end of this section of line are a pair of bridges at different levels. There are very few images of these bridges, but here's the best one I found (via Facebook, of all places).

post-19180-0-60941800-1530569648.jpg

On the other side of the far bridge, there is a footbridge that links a footpath to the old Dinmore station. The footbridge survives - here's the best picture I have of it: 

post-19180-0-70768800-1530570022_thumb.png

And from the other angle (1984 shot from Jamerail on Flickr):

post-19180-0-12024300-1530583994_thumb.jpg

As best as I can tell, this bridge must be somehow supported by brackets attached to the side of the bridge. There is no pier in the middle of the river, and the arch of the railway bridge appears to be the width of the track and the side of the track only - i.e. the footbridge doesn't have its own arch, but relies on the main bridge for its support.

Does this sound right? If so, are there any similar examples nearby that I could use as inspiration? Unfortunately I live about 4,000 miles from the bridge so research trips are out for a little while!

Any thoughts gratefully received. And if anyone has ever done the walk and taken meticulous pictures... well you'd be a lifesaver.

Edited by ed1234

Barmouth Bridge

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=strict&hl=en&biw=1536&bih=875&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=m0Q7W8z5IeuWgAae_ILoCA&q=barmouth+bridge&oq=barmouth+bridge&gs_l=img.3..0l4j0i7i30k1l2j0i24k1l4.34918.37296.0.38219.8.8.0.0.0.0.66.476.8.8.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.8.475...0i10i24k1.0.R9Ixg98T5Bo#imgrc=WK8vwrB_B2_BfM:

The viaduct to the west of Brent station is a stone viaduct (well two actually built next to each other) and it has a suspended pathway for railway workers on the north side.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

It's not a brick bridge, but Charing Cross railway bridge has a foot way on cantilevers.

I had thought of Hungerford Bridge but, as you say, that's rather different being attached to girders. As a child,, I used to be quite scared walking across there as it moved a lot as trains passed.

It's been rebuilt since and supported quite differently.

• RMweb Gold

I know there is a footbridge at Winnersh, by the station; because the road bridge is narrow, but I can't remember if it is attached or not.  

Completely separate - much later construction than the brick overbridge so far simpler to put in something separate and it also means the railway don't have any maintenance (or anything else) liability.

Many thanks all. I shall return to my school days mantra: if in doubt, make it up. Fortunately I'm currently at the '3D model in SketchUp' phase rather than putting knife to plasticard, so can play around until I find something that looks convincing.

• RMweb Premium

There was something like this at Lancaster where the WCML crosses the Lune then the ex Midland route to Morecambe, then an A road, all at different levels and a footpath went all the way from the south bank to the banking between the Midland route and the A road.   There is still a bridge there at the moment but that is a modern replacement, This photo shows it.

post-6824-0-88294100-1530629902_thumb.jpg

It's processor was more interesting.

post-6824-0-28910300-1530629908.jpg

And here's an engineering drawing of it.

post-6824-0-62138300-1530630125_thumb.jpg

Hope that these are of interest.  One day I'm going to build that footbridge as part of a scenic break on Green Ayre, the main bridge already exists 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

Some similar footbridges on Tyneside. At Benton Station both the railway and the footpath share the same bridge over Station Road. In this case steel girder with stone abutments and the two separated only by a paling fence. Further to the east both the footpath and the track cross the ECML. The current footbridge is an entirely separate structure but the original as I recall was as closely parallel to the railway bridge as it was possible to go without actually being married.

On the other side of the river at Hebburn Station the track was crossed by the very imaginatively named Station Road bridge. In this case, however the station footbridge although an entirely separate structure was attached to the side of the stone road bridge. Although the footbridge, along with the rest of the original station, has now gone the scars are still very clearly seen on the roadbridge stonework

• RMweb Premium

I have the impression that metal lattice footbridges alongside narrow brick overbridges were quite common on Midland lines but that may be just because I walked across one such daily on my way to and from school - at the bridge where Wylde Green Road crosses the Wolverhapton, Walsall & Water Orton line. This is an instance where the footbridge is at an angle to the road bridge. 

On the Reading, Guildford & Reigate line, in addition to the one mentioned at Winnersh, there are a pair either side of the narrow Church Road bridge in Earley.

For an example of a wooden footbridge actually attached to a brick railway bridge, there's the bridge over the mouth of the Kennet, on the Great Western line just east of Reading.