• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Figworthy was built by the West Of England Railway Company, but was taken over by the GWR when they ran out of money.

Adrian

As Warren Branch is fictitious it was built by whom ever best allows for any discrepancies in my layout  :lol:

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I would agree with others that the building could have a lean-too office tacked on one end.

Bakewell was like that - originally had a timber partitioned off area as an office, but then as it got busier they removed it and stuck a corrugated iron office on the outside.

Interior Office:

1677884736_2170interiorofBakewellgoodshedshowingboxvan18867StanRobertscollection.jpg.a45f3e7e8480b32126b9dba2a593dbee.jpg

Copyright Stan Roberts Collection used with permission

External Office:

1392491863_2166RowsleyendofBakewellgoodsshedandofficeMarch1967StanRobertscollection.jpg.d6fad90a2ebdcb54d2c4aeaec07e89f7.jpg

Copyright Stan Roberts Collection used with permission

Al.

That’s great Al, thank you for those. Very useful :good:

Interesting that there are two hoists, I hoped to get away with one :huh:

The majority of GW branches were at least started by independent companies, I suspect that the Western were smart enough to let someone else take the risk and see if the line was viable. 

You often find that branches have their own architecture to a point, with any improvement or expansion utilising GWR standard buildings.

My example above of Tetbury is a case in point. The station building was rebuilt by the GW using the joinery and roofing from the original.

The goods shed is a standard item but with the unusual addition of the built in weighbridge.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

Interesting that there are two hoists, I hoped to get away with one 

I think Bakewell was quite unusual in that respect, and I think one hoist was more common.

I modelled it with only one...

lighting-effects-011.jpg.2bfd12f6618ad9c9673b9087f70587d3.jpg

Al.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I think Bakewell was quite unusual in that respect, and I think one hoist was more common.

I modelled it with only one...

lighting-effects-011.jpg.2bfd12f6618ad9c9673b9087f70587d3.jpg

Al.

Inspiration modelling as always Al :good:

I can’t quite decide which crane I should have on my platform

Wills

20807B02-3704-498F-8814-104B47096586.jpeg.b849ca585200750be069b2e8aab1a748.jpeg

or Ratio (not Peco)

FF25D405-868F-497F-967C-9F7C00EF02A7.jpeg.f39c9fe453b0eb893ade3c31bd32dfda.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
Ratio not Peco
  • Informative/Useful 1

About 1000 years ago Jouef did a crane that was similar in style to the Wills' one, but extremely well detailed. Might be worth hunting one down. 

I just had a measure up of the Peco ex Ratio 531yard crane. Those gears are a scale 6 feet in diameter, but all the crane kits are pretty big. They also do ref 543 Hoist, which I thought I could modify to go inside a goods shed.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

About 1000 years ago Jouef did a crane that was similar in style to the Wills' one, but extremely well detailed. Might be worth hunting one down. 

I just had a measure up of the Peco ex Ratio 531yard crane. Those gears are a scale 6 feet in diameter, but all the crane kits are pretty big. They also do ref 543 Hoist, which I thought I could modify to go inside a goods shed.

I’ve got the peco/ratio hoist kit for inside, I’m thinking of putting a rebate in the paving for the base plate so it looks like it was paved afterwards and not an after thought?

I’m hoping to do the same with whichever yard crane I go for, ideally the dimension I need is approximately 55/56mm minimum from the pivot centre to the hook so it could reach either of the three tracks (if that makes sense)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

The one I used on Ladmanlow was the Peco LK-35

peco-crane.jpg.11e03b733bfcdbbbe5ed19632a2b8e3e.jpg

Al

I do like that one, do you think that would look the part on the platform Al?

Can you adjust the reach? it might look a bit over long for where it’s going

I've done a bit of t’internet searching and others have said the Ratio crane is a bit over scale as Rob has mentioned

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

I do like that one, do you think that would look the part on the platform Al?

Can you adjust the reach? it might look a bit over long for where it’s going

I've done a bit of t’internet searching and others have said the Ratio crane is a bit over scale?

For your purposes I would get rid of the big round base that comes with it, and just use the central post on a smaller base, as I did. The jib size could be cut down to any length you want, as it is a bit long.

Yes as Rob said, the pulleys on the Ratio kit work out at 6 foot diameter, which seems a bit large.

Al.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

For your purposes I would get rid of the big round base that comes with it, and just use the central post on a smaller base, as I did. The jib size could be cut down to any length you want, as it is a bit long.

Yes as Rob said, the pulleys on the Ratio kit work out at 6 foot diameter, which seems a bit large.

Al.

I’ve ordered one, I can design a base plate and integrate it into the platform ;)

maybe I could animate it to :lol:

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’d forgotten about the Peco one

the one I referred to a Peco is actually a Ratio item as noticed by @MrWolf before I could correct it :blush:

Actually, it's both. It seems that Peco is marketing Ratio amongst others now.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good grief Charlie Brown....

This is one that I wish was still available new. The wagon should give you an idea of its size. I think that you could get several different weights / types of yard crane for each of the pre grouping companies via Mike's Models back in the 80s. I picked up this incomplete, broken and badly painted one at an exhibition, I hope that I can fix it for my layout. 

New ones, including the really impressive steam powered Scotch Derrick (as found in timber yards) turn up fairly regularly on eBay.

Be prepared to sell your car / house / girlfriend though to get one....

IMG_20210113_203633.jpg.104717810690f7ab03c0be7856aca358.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Good grief Charlie Brown....

This is one that I wish was still available new. The wagon should give you an idea of its size. I think that you could get several different weights / types of yard crane for each of the pre grouping companies via Mike's Models back in the 80s. I picked up this incomplete, broken and badly painted one at an exhibition, I hope that I can fix it for my layout. 

New ones, including the really impressive steam powered Scotch Derrick (as found in timber yards) turn up fairly regularly on eBay.

Be prepared to sell your car / house / girlfriend though to get one....

IMG_20210113_203633.jpg.104717810690f7ab03c0be7856aca358.jpg

That's proper, that is!

Al.

• Like 1

Hello Chuffinghell, having dipped in and out of your thread over the last few months, I decided to read the whole thing a few days ago. Just done it! I have to add my congratulations to the many you’ve received, but do have a note of caution to add.  Claims to be the slowest modeller on RMWeb are totally unjustified however I fear that providing any evidence towards this would incriminate me.  I just seem to do nothing whilst thinking about doing something! You have inspired me to give up on my bodged  platforms though, I started removing (attacking with a hammer) them today.  The strip wood was a bit better stuck on than a lot of my other railway infrastructure is!  As far as goods yard cranes are concerned, the 6 tonner you have was just for that and I have built one (badly sadly) for posing in my exchange yard. I reckon a crane inside the shed would perhaps be only for shifting stuff off a wagon and towards the door.  Anything inside would be “man portable”? I could bore you with a story about a 965 radar valve “in a small box” according to the WEO, but I see from reading your thread that mission creep might be an issue so won’t! Keep up the good work.  We’re all on the spectrum BTW, it’s just a question of where.........:D. Cheers, Mark

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Incredible CAD Skill. Takes a whole new level to scratch building. I’ve just spent the last two days searching for the right shaped ‘hut’. I wish I had the patience and skills to have free reign on design.

Excited to see it come to life!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1