Dapol Class 22 sound installation

dibber25

I have a Loksound 21-pin sound decoder for a Dapol Class 22 (OO gauge). Installation looks too easy to be true, and sure enough it is. Remove the blanking plug on the Dapol model and it has 22 pins, not 21. How do I get round this? (CJL) (Also posted in DCC questions but I thought it might get seen more widely here.)

That's strange, both mine (including one from the initial batch when I seemed to recall it was to be a plux22 socket initially) are 21 pin.

This will be from the original batch. It may well have been a review sample. I guess it's case of dispose of it as analog only and buy a new one? (CJL)

Hi Chris

I think I have the answer. I remember this issue of the 22 pin fitting on the original Class 22 production run, being aired at the time. It's covered in the Dapol Class 22 thread, from page 20 to 22 primarily in posts 497 and 526 which I've extracted and copied below. The later post is the confirmation from Dapol via Dave Jones, then product development manager at Dapol of the production error and that some models were released before it was identified. He confirms the solution identified by member 'Buffalo' at post 497, which involves snipping off the extra pin. His post has a photo. If you intend to change back to DC use you may need to get a new blanking plate at the one fitted may be wired for 22 pin, shouldn't be a problem if you are going permanently to DCC.

Post 526  Page 22 Dapol Class 22 thread from Dave Jones, then product development manager at Dapol

• photo-25168.gif?_r=1421235118
  •  
  • email_open.png user_add.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 14:33

Hi everyone,

As promised here is an update of the state of play with the 21 pin / 22 pin situation i announced both here and on the web site yesterday.

Given information from China and also thanks to you who posted the cure here, i have today converted ALL remaining stock of Class 22's that were due to go out to stockists yesterday.
These were models that were pre-sold and hadnt gone out intime and amounted to a considerable number.

They have now been done, and the bottom of the box has a sticker saying that its had the modification, so if you havnt purchased yet you will know what to look for if your wanting to convert the model to DCC.

As the model stands, it will accept the following DCC decoders without the need for modification; Locsound4 + TCS 621 that we know of as these are 21 pin but have the 22nd socket present as a reduntant hole in the socket.

As a new customer who has purchased one and doesnt like the idea of snipping the pin shown on the picture on page 20 of this thread, i suggest in this instance returning it to your stockists for either modification there, or having them send on to us for me to do it here.

Please note that Dapol will honour this modification with warranty cover, and should you make a complete 'horlicks' of the cutting of the pin, then we will also either repair it ourselves for you, or supply a replacement 21pin PCB board for you to fit as soon as i have them.

The conversion takes about 90 seconds and the replacement PCB fitting take about 5 minutes if you do these yourselves.
I will post PCB wiring scematics here soon, once i have them.

Once again apologies for this problem, but trust me, we will do everything in our power to put it right for you.
cheers
Dave

Post 497 from Page 20 Dapol Class 22 thread - posted by member Buffalo and acknowledged by Dave Jones as correct in his later post above

Yes, for clarification, here's a quick photo showing the pins numbered 1-22 and the snipped pin 11 (arrowed).

post-6746-0-95485700-1321979669.jpg

Edited by rembrow

Hi Chris

I think I have the answer. I remember this issue of the 22 pin fitting on the original Class 22 production run, being aired at the time. It's covered in the Dapol Class 22 thread, from page 20 to 22 primarily in posts 497 and 526 which I've extracted and copied below. The later post is the confirmation from Dapol via Dave Jones, then product development manager at Dapol of the production error and that some models were released before it was identified. He confirms the solution identified by member 'Buffalo' at post 497, which involves snipping off the extra pin. His post has a photo. If you intend to change back to DC use you may need to get a new blanking plate at the one fitted may be wired for 22 pin, shouldn't be a problem if you are going permanently to DCC.

Post 526  Page 22 Dapol Class 22 thread from Dave Jones, then product development manager at Dapol

• photo-25168.gif?_r=1421235118
  •  
  • email_open.png user_add.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 14:33

Hi everyone,

As promised here is an update of the state of play with the 21 pin / 22 pin situation i announced both here and on the web site yesterday.

Given information from China and also thanks to you who posted the cure here, i have today converted ALL remaining stock of Class 22's that were due to go out to stockists yesterday.

These were models that were pre-sold and hadnt gone out intime and amounted to a considerable number.

They have now been done, and the bottom of the box has a sticker saying that its had the modification, so if you havnt purchased yet you will know what to look for if your wanting to convert the model to DCC.

As the model stands, it will accept the following DCC decoders without the need for modification; Locsound4 + TCS 621 that we know of as these are 21 pin but have the 22nd socket present as a reduntant hole in the socket.

As a new customer who has purchased one and doesnt like the idea of snipping the pin shown on the picture on page 20 of this thread, i suggest in this instance returning it to your stockists for either modification there, or having them send on to us for me to do it here.

Please note that Dapol will honour this modification with warranty cover, and should you make a complete 'horlicks' of the cutting of the pin, then we will also either repair it ourselves for you, or supply a replacement 21pin PCB board for you to fit as soon as i have them.

The conversion takes about 90 seconds and the replacement PCB fitting take about 5 minutes if you do these yourselves.

I will post PCB wiring scematics here soon, once i have them.

Once again apologies for this problem, but trust me, we will do everything in our power to put it right for you.

cheers

Dave

Post 497 from Page 20 Dapol Class 22 thread - posted by member Buffalo and acknowledged by Dave Jones as correct in his later post above

Yes, for clarification, here's a quick photo showing the pins numbered 1-22 and the snipped pin 11 (arrowed).

post-6746-0-95485700-1321979669.jpg

Thank you. Yes, it's coming back to me now. This must be the old review model and I seem to remember there was quite a lot of comment at the time because the new socket was supposed to make sound installation easier but was then found to have the wrong number of pins. If I can just snip it off, I'll do that as the model isn't likely to go back to analog. Thanks again. (CJL)

Unsuccessful. Other parts of the circuit board on which the 22-pin socket is mounted prevent the sound decoder from seating properly. Looks like the whole PCB with the 22-pin socket will need to be replaced with an up-to-date 21-pin socket. Having just decoder-fitted a new Farish GWR railcar, nothing seems straightforward at present. (CJL)