Assuming that you are correct, is the "1458/25 YEP#2" a spurious entry and was there one 15" loco fewer than the table suggests?

According to Adrian J. Booth's book on steam in the Yorkshire Coalfield, there were 27 of the Airedale/15" IC type of Hunslet 0-6-0ST (with thirteen going to Yorkshire collieries).  Thinking about the Ferrybridge 0-6-0ST it is plausible that it went out to Haifa and once finished with- like The Bursar and a few others- it went back to Hunslets for a refurb and then was sold on- and ended up at Ferrybridge.  When I get the chance, I'll dig out my notes for you.

According to Adrian J. Booth's book on steam in the Yorkshire Coalfield, there were 27 of the Airedale/15" IC type of Hunslet 0-6-0ST (with thirteen going to Yorkshire collieries).  Thinking about the Ferrybridge 0-6-0ST it is plausible that it went out to Haifa and once finished with- like The Bursar and a few others- it went back to Hunslets for a refurb and then was sold on- and ended up at Ferrybridge.  When I get the chance, I'll dig out my notes for you.

9/13 are "Castleford Colliery Locomotives".

Did some of the smaller locos get new Hunslet numbers after a full works rebuild like some of the austerities?

9/13 are "Castleford Colliery Locomotives".

Did some of the smaller locos get new Hunslet numbers after a full works rebuild like some of the austerities?

I do not think they did.  They may have got "Job Numbers"- like how some of the 1960s overhauls had job numbers in the 59xxx range.  

I need to work through the 199 RW Co. diary and find out which ones they had during the war- I do know that one (No.7) was scrapped in 1944, in the Middle East.  Be interesting to see what I can find on the others.

I do not think they did.  They may have got "Job Numbers"- like how some of the 1960s overhauls had job numbers in the 59xxx range.  

I need to work through the 199 RW Co. diary and find out which ones they had during the war- I do know that one (No.7) was scrapped in 1944, in the Middle East.  Be interesting to see what I can find on the others.

Cheers. Time to expand my education beyond the 15/16/18 Hunslets

I can account for the fates of ten or eleven of the sixteen Haifa locomotives: 1643/29 ended up at Alpha Cement's works at Bletchington, Shipton on Cherwell (it was a Hunslet hire engine in the late 40s and early 50s- did stints at North Gawber and Dodworth Pits); 1645/29 became The Bursar at Wroxton; 1657/30 ended up at the Royal Naval Cordite Factory in Holton Heath, Dorset (named Reliance); 1658/30 went to Ferrybridge Power Station; 1660/30 and two others (one was maybe 1657/30 from Holton Heath) went to the Royal Naval Propellant Factory at Caerwent before being sold for scrap to Cashmore's at Newport (1660 was Cashmore's shunter for three years, 1965-68); 1672/30 went to Frickley Colliery in Yorkshire; 1673/30 went to Birch Coppice Colliery and 1682/31 was sold to the Mersey Dock & Harbour Board as their No.14.

As an added extra, I am slowly scratchbuilding a model of one of the 14" x 20" IC Hunslets- spent an afternoon with my incredibly bored girlfriend measuring up Brookes No.1 (2387/41) at Middleton back in March.

Thanks. My next step is to card index all the Castleford locos. My principal resource is the IRS handbook. I have feeling that I too may be looking to add a 14" to the collection. I will also be wanting to investigate the early OC Hudswell Clarke found at one or two pits on vesting day.

• RMweb Premium

I can account for the fates of ten or eleven of the sixteen Haifa locomotives: 1643/29 ended up at Alpha Cement's works at Bletchington, Shipton on Cherwell (it was a Hunslet hire engine in the late 40s and early 50s- did stints at North Gawber and Dodworth Pits); 1645/29 became The Bursar at Wroxton; 1657/30 ended up at the Royal Naval Cordite Factory in Holton Heath, Dorset (named Reliance); 1658/30 went to Ferrybridge Power Station; 1660/30 and two others (one was maybe 1657/30 from Holton Heath) went to the Royal Naval Propellant Factory at Caerwent before being sold for scrap to Cashmore's at Newport (1660 was Cashmore's shunter for three years, 1965-68); 1672/30 went to Frickley Colliery in Yorkshire; 1673/30 went to Birch Coppice Colliery and 1682/31 was sold to the Mersey Dock & Harbour Board as their No.14.

As an added extra, I am slowly scratchbuilding a model of one of the 14" x 20" IC Hunslets- spent an afternoon with my incredibly bored girlfriend measuring up Brookes No.1 (2387/41) at Middleton back in March.

I didn't bother measuring Brookes No1 - this is part of the 14" GA which I found hanging on the wall in the Middleton Railway museum shed. I used this to produce the drawings for our kit.

post-1643-0-58583900-1543217670_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't had time yet to study and sketch to scale but it looks significantly smaller than the 15" class.

Now I am confused. Having had a look at the tables in Don Towwnsley's book, there is no mention of 2387 (aka Brookes#1). The number is about right for a 1941 build so was this an additional member of the class that has escaped the author's records, or was it a one off special?

• RMweb Premium

The 14in is significantly smaller than the 15in, it has a smaller boiler as well - better looking than either the 15in or 16in in my opinion (and Don Townsley's).

I can't find Brookes No1 in my copies of the HE order books, some pages may have gone missing. 2387 fits in with a delivery date in 1941 but the ones I have only go back to July of that year with 2424, perhaps Don couldn't find it either which would explain why it's not in his list. It is definitely a 14in 0-6-0ST though and presumably the last one built. Some did return from the Haifa harbour job and were sold on but didn't get new works numbers - the HE order books are all hand written and were kept up to date with additions detailing the subsequent history of the locos.

The 15in locos were sometimes built for stock when the works was quiet but I think the others were all built to order.

Photo of the built up test etch for our kit - now painted as MDHB No.14

post-1643-0-68245200-1543249393_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Agree with the better looking than a 15" but rate the 16" as the prettiest I have built. I have completed the index cards for the Ackton Hall locomotives. This mind numbing task should get easier due to the interchange and cross referencing of locos. The sad thing is how many nineteenth century examples almost made the preservation era.

The 14in is significantly smaller than the 15in, it has a smaller boiler as well - better looking than either the 15in or 16in in my opinion (and Don Townsley's).

I can't find Brookes No1 in my copies of the HE order books, some pages may have gone missing. 2387 fits in with a delivery date in 1941 but the ones I have only go back to July of that year with 2424, perhaps Don couldn't find it either which would explain why it's not in his list. It is definitely a 14in 0-6-0ST though and presumably the last one built. Some did return from the Haifa harbour job and were sold on but didn't get new works numbers - the HE order books are all hand written and were kept up to date with additions detailing the subsequent history of the locos.

The 15in locos were sometimes built for stock when the works was quiet but I think the others were all built to order.

Photo of the built up test etch for our kit - now painted as MDHB No.14

attachicon.gifDSCF3957.JPG

Having completed my indexing of locomotives, I have found only one 14" example. Edith HE 1482 (1925) was first of class built for one of Charlesworths Rothwell collieries.

Technically these belong to #7 Wakefield district but since I have already stretched boundaries to include St Johns and Parkhill on the basis that their locomotives often were swapped with those from #8 area, maybe I can make one more exception. Does anyone know which colliery it was based at?

Having completed my indexing of locomotives, I have found only one 14" example. Edith HE 1482 (1925) was first of class built for one of Charlesworths Rothwell collieries.

Technically these belong to #7 Wakefield district but since I have already stretched boundaries to include St Johns and Parkhill on the basis that their locomotives often were swapped with those from #8 area, maybe I can make one more exception. Does anyone know which colliery it was based at?

There is a good photo of Edith p46 History of the Middleton Railway 7th ed. One distinctive feature is a rounded cab roof. The photo is from the early 1950s, so is the roof original?

Hunslet order book has a note that Edith was at Broom pit, Middleton. The rounded roof seems to be original, it's like that in the works photograph.

That is the location of the photo. The IRS handbook says it was transferred in 1953. The location at vesting is given as Rothwell Collieries. Don Townsley's book has Charlesworths asthe original customer.