Tornado in Wigan !

APOLLO

Having lived 100 yards from the WCML half way up Boars Head Bank 2 miles out of Wigan, I have had "fleeting glimpses" of many steam specials. Trouble was I never knew times in advance, till recently, viewing this usefull site

http://www.uksteam.i...s/trs10.htm#twk

At 0800 this sunny Wigan morning, off to the lineside, 2 minute walk. There was, untill around 2002 a pedestrian crossing here, very dangerous and a bad history of suicides etc. Now we have a footbridge and pallisade fencing - safe but difficult for the photographer. The only good position early morning (sun in East), was looking North, through the short bit of pallisade fence in front of the footbridge at right angles to the tracks. I set my Fuji to sport mode, and waited.

Boy Tornado was quiet, a soft but busy exhaust note, accelerating 12 coaches up the 1 in 104 of Boars Head Bank. Definitley not the storming noisy departure from Wigan North Western usual with steam. Nearly caught me by suprise, she was around 10 mins late, but doing well, around 40-50mph as she passed. Anyway, here is the result, cropped with Irfan View.

post-6884-127126666223_thumb.jpg

Looks like I'm back into steam photography !!.

Brit15

... Tornado was quiet

...Looks like I'm back into steam photography !!.

Yes I was amazed how quiet and smooth, and it was Tornado that got me back by the lineside too.

Nice shot by the way. Was there much outside the crop? Sounds like a tricky location

Yes I was amazed how quiet and smooth, and it was Tornado that got me back by the lineside too.

Nice shot by the way. Was there much outside the crop? Sounds like a tricky location

Uncropped version

post-6884-127126918958_thumb.jpg

I'll try Springs Branch one day !!

Brit15

post-6884-127126985728_thumb.jpg

Archived